How do I attract a woman I want?

I just can't do it. I live in an area with mostly rich upper class families, so there are not a lot of young people to meet. I am about 40 miles away from Chicago. While there are speed dating activities and such (only via match. com), I don't have a lot of money to spend on the gas.
I send hundreds of messages out to women I am interested in, and just about all of them ignore me.
Is it because I don't make a lot of money? Am I short, or just average in the looks department? My profile paints a vivid picture of who I am and what I want, so it's not like I am being dishonest with my intentions.
Girls, what attracts you to a guy?
Guys, how do you approach women on dating sites or in real life? What leads to your success?
I feel like I've just never been good at this and it's pissing me off.

What Girls Said 1

• Online dating is something that is just blahhhhh... Look I have never created a online dating thing. But let's be real, people can be fake online and lie to you and they can look. so different from what you see...
    My advice for you is, to meet people in the real life.
    You just meet a lady you like.. From there you can start a conversation and from there you can ask for her number.. Be yourself, dress nicely, be kind and open the door for her, make her laugh... Stuff like that

• Terribly vague answer. I already said it's impossible to meet women in my area. I have no ways in which I would be meeting anyone unless I just approach a random stranger.
      You women have made it quite clear that doing that is always, ALWAYS "Creepy".

• Then it sucks to be you...
      I can't help you, with this online dating thing.
      Just show a picture of yourself doing things you like. Good luck with online dating...

What Guys Said 1

• You have to feel good about yourself. Look inward at your soul and find yourself. Become the person you were meant to be. Think long term and invest in yourself.