When is it cheating?

How many dates do you have to go on before going out with someone else is 'cheating' if the terms of dating are never spelled out. That is if you never explicitly say you are in an exclusive relationship?

• 1. One date
  • 2. Two to five dates
  • 3. Five to ten dates
  • 4. More than ten dates
  • 5. After you have had sex
  • 6. Until you explictly agree you are exclusive
So, let me get this straight, seven people so far believe if you go out once with someone, even though you didn't say anything about being exclusive, you can't go out with anyone else until you get some kind of release from them?

Most Helpful Girl

• For some, going on date means you are dort of exclusive.

So make things clear before the date.

• I find the difference between men and women on the subject very interesting. Women are all over the place and men seem to take a view they are free until specifically saying otherwise. I can see how there could be a lot of scope for misunderstanding.

• Yeah, so just have a verbal confirmation

Most Helpful Guy

• The number of dates and where you draw the line for what is and is not considered cheating is different for everyone and every relationship. For some people it may be before the first date even happens. For others they may go their whole lives in an open relationship.

What Girls Said 1

• It's cheating if only YOU consider it as a date (and being interested in that somebody and meeting him or her because of that)

What Guys Said 1

• I'd say when you say "hey, let's go exclusive" it is cheating from that moment on.

If you feel she's under the impression you're exclusive and you aren't under that impression, you need to tell her. There's no need to be a dick, but be clear that you're dating and not exclusive.