Would You Date Someone Who Has A Child?

The title of this question is.. self explanatory.
Would you date someone who has a child?

A friend of mine, who is the age of eighteen, just got himself a new girlfriend. Of course, she has a child. Anyway, this situation has gotten me thinking; Who else would do this? Not only that, but do you think he (my friend) is too young to take on the responsibilities of a child?

• I would!
  • I wouldn't!

Most Helpful Guy

• When I remarried, I had custody of my then 5 year old son. My new wife had custody of two daughters from a previous marriage. We met via eHarmony. One of the elements of the guided communication that takes place between eHarmony matches is the exchange of "must haves" and "can't stands". Basically, these are lists of 10 requirements and 10 deal breakers (each selected from eHarmony provided lists of choices).

We both had this requirement in our "must haves":

"My match must be willing to accept my child as their own."

That's a pretty heavy requirement to place on someone. It's not surprising that we would both have children. However, most of my eHarmony matches did not have children already. But, each one of those 120+ matches agreed, in principle, to accept my child as their own. I was not even introduced to any woman who would reject this responsibility. That's the way eHarmony works.

Most Helpful Girl

• Good Lord no.

It would go against absolutely everything lol

I am looking for a spouse. I am saving myself for my spouse. In order to qualify as a potential spouse, he must also be saving himself. If he's toting along a kid then OBVIOUSLY he did not save himself and therefore is NOT what I'm looking for at all.

What Guys Said 32

• I have when I was 22 it was super fun when it was fun but also super shitty when it was shitty! I did learn a lot from it and don't think bad of the girl at all. Would I do it again, not too entirely sure, but it would be more on the chemistry I have with the girl to make a clear decision.

• I know I shouldn't because there is always some drama with the child, but it depends on her attractiveness.

• If I truly loved the lady, then yes, I would. It would be the whole package, mother and child. It might me damned hard for someone my age, but not impossible.

I just wish there had been a decent guy to take over as a father figure for me, but it was not my mother's wish.

• I date women with children all the time, but at my age, it is the norm.

• Under certain conditions.

• If I wasn't married, I'd date a single parent on two conditions :
      1. The children's dad and his mom are completely out of the picture: no visiting rights, no shared child education. I don't want to cope with a jealous ex.
      2. The children are some 4 years away from hitting puberty. The time needed for them to accept me. I don't want to cope with an adolescent playing me out against his/her dad and granny.

• I'd date someone with a child, who I consider to be a good parent, and has raised their child through my ideological beliefs, or if she share's my ideological beliefs.

Primarily though, and honestly speaking, I'd prefer to date someone who does not have a child, and have children with her myself, so I can have a first hand approach to raising the child to my standards.

• No offense but no. It takes enough to be in a relationship and I wouldn't go the extra mile for a kid that is not mine. I respect the circumstances, we all make mistakes but it isn't a responsibility I'd take just to be able to be with someone. I've seen this first hand with friends of mine... Definitely not recommended.

• i would try but its like a pretty thin line there.

I have tried dating mothers before but kinda feels like some of them are slowly and methodically trying to groom you into being the new father of the child wich is a no no since its manipulation.

only some not all mothers are like that just to clarify again

• I want all our children to be 100% ours!
    Maybe the exception of adoption, but at least our first kids!

• I would after all Its just dating

• I voted no, but it's only because I haven't been in a relationship yet. Had I ever been in one, this wouldn't be a big deal. It's just that for at least one period in my life I'd like it to be just me and her.

• Nah I'm not ready for that plus I want a biological kid

• yeah you're friend is being an idiot.

• No i wouldn't i don't like kids and if you're my age (23) and have a kid that you PLANNED, then you're kinda stupid

• At this point in my life, I doubt it.

• Never: no exceptions. (No, I do not have children, and if I did, I would never drag a single, childless woman into that drama).

• I think I would consider it, but it really depends on the girl.

• Maybe if I REEEAAALLLLYY like them and they have their shit together.

• Faack! Meant to click B but no not in a million years baby 👌🏻

• Nope... trying to create a family of my own...

• Date? I think so. Marry? I'm not so sure.

• Yes, I think your friend is WAY too young to take on the responsibilities. However, I don't know your friend. So, it's possible I could be wrong and he can. But his age along isn't exactly in his favor.

• Well, thank you for your answer:)
      However, I do agree with you. I do think he is too young, and has issues of his own to worry about, than a child. It's a big step, even if the kid isn't his own..

• You're welcome. Yes, it's a HUGE step. It's a step that a lot of people take lightly.

• I wouldn't. I don't want someone else's kid. I'd like to have my own someday.

• Nope, I cannot tolerate children.

• I'm fifteen years old. I'm not ready for being a stepfather.

• Date- nope
    Nsa sex- yup

• I probably wouldn't. :(

• nope.

not many guys would

• At that age, no. That is too young. But by the mid twenties, the game has changed. Yes, I would.

• I would never do that unless I also had a kid.

• Probably not at my age. I'd like to have my own children, and if I'm with a woman who already has one that's one less child I can father. I guess a daughter would feel slightly less like a cuckoo in the nest, but still it's not something I'm too keen on.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 26

• If I really liked him and thought he was amazing in every possible way then sure I would try to make it work. It's not a deal breaker.

However at the if 18 I think that's quite bad. It is a lot to take on and I'd be worried if he gets the kind of complications that comes with a child.

• I am in no position to be a step parent by any means, so to date someone with a child with no plans for the future is pointless. Then again I am 21 now, whose to say I won't change my mind in a couple years. I had a friends with benefits who actually had 2 small children, I was okay with this because this was a factor why we would never be more than friends with benefits and it never went that way either.

• At this age, I don't think so, though I would in a few years.

• Personally, no, as I am not in a phase of my life where I can handle the pressure and responsibility.

• No, I'm too young to be a mommy.

• I wouldn't! ! I just can't be a mom!

• Nope I'm not dealing with baby mommas nor am I ready to be a step mum.

Perhaps if I was older it wouldn't be such a problem (23yrs)

• I do. My kids are in their 20s but my boyfriend has a 3 year old son.

He's cool little chap and I'm happy he's part of my life.

• As someone who doesn't know how to handle even just smiling at children, no.

• Yes I would date a person with a child. I don't have a child of my own, but if he's open to having children with me and he's financially stable than sure.

• As long as their ties with the other woman/man is gone and they can love me like I can love them, then yes. But preferably no, though I did say yes for the poll. But them having a child won't stop me.

• I probably would, given that they were honest and upfront and told me from the beginning of the relationship

• Never ever! I want to marry someone without serious responsabilities.

• Nope, especially not at ny age

• Im 17, there is no way in hell I'd do that.

• I don't think so.. especially not at my age now.

• Nope, I wouldn't ever date someone with a child.

• Never ever. No. Absolutely not.

• If I loved him. I would.

• Yeah, because he's probably not in the kids life a lot anyways!

• I feel like your friend knows what he is doing. If he is willing to jump into a relationship with a single mother than I salute him! Not many people will do that these days. I would..

• I would not.

• I wouldn't, purely because it's not even legal for me to have sex or a baby and I'd probably only go out with guys the same age as me... So 15 is a little young for kids I think!!

• Where is it illegal to have sex at 15?

• Britain (where I'm from), a lot of American states ad probably some other countries too...

• Maybe. Maybe not.
    Depends.

• Yes, but if it comes down to it I'm a bit biased when it comes with people my age and kids. So I would but it would only be if I really liked them and depending on the situation with the baby mama.

• Id consider it