I'm paralyzed and I need help planning for my first date in two years... Any advice?

I haven't been on a date in almost two years. I was paralyzed and was in the hospital when I was dating my ex. He cheated on me while I was in there battling an illness and when I got out of the hospital; he would stand me up and would not be seen with my in my wheelchair. He broke up with me on my birthday saying that he couldn't love a cripple. Needless to say, my heart was broken because we were engaged. Since then I have learned to walk with the help of braces on my legs. Most guys I meet freak out when they see my legs, so I haven't really been out in a while. I decided to try online dating, and I met a guy that i like. He asked me out for tomorrow night and I'm excited but nervous. He knows about my legs, but I'm fearful that he won't like me because of them. Have you any suggestions on how I could be me confident? or what things impress a man on a first date? What should I wear with my braces on my legs? Something sexy or practical? I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Thank you all for the great advice; it definitely makes me feel better. 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all sorry this happened, but realistically it would go vice versa if a guy was paralyzed he would have less chances in the dating word. Anyways what you need to do is realize that its not about what you have to do to attract a man you just have to be yourself and do what makes you happy. Recognize that he is probably nervous about meeting you too and excited. If you try and do what would attract him or make him happy you will try and be something that your not and that has never worked ever for anyone since the history of time you can only fake being something for so long. And lastly realize that as a female you already have more options than a male does in general so use this to your advantage. Good luck and if it doesn't work out don't beat yourself up your still young.

Most Helpful Girl

• If he knows about your legs then he is aware that you have a disability. You should feel confident about yourself and even if this date doesn't work out, there are other opportunities. Maybe get a little naughty, wear a sexy dress that makes you feel good ;)

What Guys Said 4

• I have a friend in late braces (cerebral palsy) who is also pretty self conscious about her legs. I have never seen her without full length pants on but from what I hear her sex life is not too bad. My point is that if you can find someone who can look past something as insignificant as a problem with your legs you will be golden. No, it will probably not happen right away but there is no reason to think that it will not happen.

• I'm not sure what advice I can offer other than this: Despite your current condition, you are still a woman and don't let him forget it.

I would love to know how it goes. Please keep us informed (or me at least via PM)!

• Just be yourself and dress for the occasion. Sonif you're going to a fancy restaurant then dress nice. If you're just meeting up at a cafe, then just dress casually.

• I would say try to relax, not put too much pressure on it, and just try to have fun

What Girls Said 2

• First of all well done you for getting back out there.
    My advice with dating is do not go into it with expectations it is just a date, a guy you've never met and so if it doesn't go well you have nothing to lose. I guess that being said just go into it without pressure/expectation and have the aim to just have a good time out with a nice guy.

• If he knows about your legs then he must like your personality. So go for it have fun & be you.