Would you date a psychologist?

I would think that dating one would get annoying. I am a psychologist and I have always thought that it made my relationships better but women just end up getting annoyed.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I dated a psychologist for 2 years. He hadn't practised in a councilling clinic but he had studied all the theories. He told me I was a personality type I wasn't and base his assumptions of my behavior on those and instead of listening to my view point he would tell me I was just mad for some other reason. He played a lot of mental games with family and friends and a lot of them stopped talking to me so he effectively isolated me. I think he did psychology because he had his own problems to sort out.
    But a psychologist who didn't do all those things would probably be great to go out with.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am about to study psychology...

There is one thing called ethics for psychologists :

With knowledge of the deepest corners of the human psyche, you can invade anyone's mind and destroy them if you wanted to - If I were a bad person, I'd end up working for some secret service torturing inmates or stuff.

And don't breach anyone's boundaries in case they see no purpose for them in your advice.

Of course it may be helpful to have good knowledge of communication - because communication is extremely important in a relationship. If you are unable to openly communicate your needs or boundaries, you will not be happy...

• Oh, and you could also use your knowledge to make your SO feel really great, but despite having all this knowledge, don't become a fake... I can't stand fake people... Don't become a sociopath...

But keep in mind that there are many "black sheep" in psychology - laypersons who have read this and that magazine and think they are professionals and even people who have studied this mess up terribly and ruin someone's life by writing a false report to "feel powerful" or "superior".

Psychology also has a medical aspect and the medical industry is a business where money matters and where there is money, there is falsehood... That's where the black sheep are likely to be found.

• There are also things you can't learn, like in basketball, you cannot teach height, you just have it.

In my case this would be being highly sensitive, meaning that I can tell in a matter of minutes what this and that person is up to - this helped me stay out of so much trouble at school back then...

What Girls Said 35

• For someone majoring in psychology, I'm a bit offended...

Just kidding! But really, it depends on the person. Me personally, I'm not about to overanalyze anyone or try to be miss psychologist all the time. At work is one thing but I'll just be me outside of it.

• As someone who is also doing psych, I would say that you have to learn to turn off the analytical part of your brain off. No one wants to feel like that are dating their psychologist. Nor do you want to feel like your partner is more of a patient than a lover. So you need to set boundaries for yourself or your partner. a 'normal' relationship can be easily achieved.

• Exactly my opinion.

though not analyzing is a bit hard at times, especially if you have an analytical mind...

• It would get annoying only if he didn't know how to separate qualities his job requires from what a relationship requires. I wouldn't like to be with someone who over-analyzed my emotions and responses-- it creates a power differential like the one that exists between doctor/patient and a relationship needs an equality.

• Yes aslong as they didn't bring their practice into our relationship. Keep work at work and home stuff at work, I would want to be treated like their girlfriend and not a patient.

• Exactly^^ It is said that one of the key elements to maintaining a healthy relationship is to keep your work out of it.

• Depends if you can switch it off, or at least appear to.

I studied psychology and one of the things that I found rather... annoying shall we say, was the fact that you can't stop analysing people. It's constant, you can;t just take something someone says and accept it, everything would be analysed, taken apart.

I'll be honest though, I find insight and understanding of the human psyche to be incredibly alluring. I find it a very very attractive quality in a man.

• One of my good friends is doing his honours in psych and instead of directly assessing and 'treating' me, he sort of uses the information I give him and when I need help with something, he tells me what's going on in my mind at the moment and what he thinks I should do, so he's a great help. As long as you don't actively try counsel your girlfriend, there's no real issue

• How about a "HELLZ NAW"!!

They are what I like to refer to as the "quicker fucker-uppers". They generally have the most fucked up kids imaginable, and the their spouses usually have to rely on medication just to stay with them; and if they do divorce, they will continue to mind-fuck their spouses even after that. I've seen more than a few examples of this. I find it even difficult to be social with them. Its invasive when you feel you are being studied, when you really do not wish to be. They tend to over-analyze and over-complicate every single thing.

But that's just my opinion... do with it what you will.

• Yeah I would, part of my double degree is psychology so it would be interesting to date someone with the same interests as me. I think you'll find good ones and bad ones to be with in a relationship. If I liked the guy I would date him, if I didn't I wouldn't same with any other guy in any other profession. However if he was constantly trying to psychoanalyse me then I would split it off. A lot of the people in my course tend to be pseudo intellectuals which is equally annoying and break up worthy. But short answer, yes, unless it went to shit.

• i would, but if he was always undermining or breaking down my every move, not only is it a total turn off, but also rude.

• i totally would. i love psychology.

• Maybe but if he takes advatnage of me no way.

• I could imagine communication would be great. I think the problem there might be is wondering if you would be analyzing everything and everything I saw or do.

• That is my point. I do over analyze and women will translate this to me thinking that I know it all.

• You would need to be able to separate yourself from your job and your personal life. When you analyze everything it no longer feels special.
      "Life isn't about every breath you take but every moment that takes your breath away". I think those are the moments you miss out on when you over think things and forget to just live in the moment.

• I hope it's not a bad thing because I'm studying psychology right now..

• OMG YES. lmao. i would love to :o
    i psychoanalyze everything. would be interesting to have the tables turned on me.

• Oh nvm. I see you are into the psychology of organizations :x That, in my opinion, is quite different from clinical psych or personality psych

• Well, I still have my degree in psychology. I just have my master's degree in industrial organizational psychology.

• date.. yes.. relationship.. it depends if he is tolerable.. lol..

• Sure :)
    As long as they don't make me their private project or anything we should be good, right?

• my grandma did in her late sixties and she's happy and laughs all the time. So... I guess maybe yeah.

• At this point, dating a psychologist would have saved me a whole lot of sorrow lol

• The one I used to see last year was HOT af, but I don't think I would date a psychologist...

• Only if I'm not treated as a patient.

• Yes, leave this out of the relationship by all means !

Knowledge of communication is advantageous however, like, sending "You messages" all the time and accusing and judging the hell out of your SO and their behavior is very bad - an awful lot of relationships end due to poor communication. :/

• I want to be a psychologist myself so yeah, I would date one. I think it'd be interesting but I can also see how it could be a bit annoying.

• Yes. I find them soothing.

• Yes, that would be cool.

• NO! 1 person in a relationship analyzing everything is enough.

• It's possible that you'd have a lot in common with her, so it could be a good thing.

• only if he agrees I'm amazing

• I'm deeply interested in psychology myself - I'm no professional but it would be something that would be relate-able in the relationship. But of course, boundaries must be set to set apart the professional field from the relationship.

• I don't see why not.
    Iv studied psychology too and I love it

• Because the women you date are probably getting paranoid that you are analyzing them.

• well I said that wrong... They probably *feel like* they are being analyzed

• I love psychology so together with a psychologist would be so so fun

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 24

• I always found it ironic that every single physchologist I met dont seem to know anything about the human mind and they are also the worst at following or applying their own thoughts, diagnose or logic to their own life. While I wouldn't mind in concept, the problem is that they base so much of their knowledge in a different holy bible and they just can't see past that. Which leads to endless of problems in itself. So I probably wouldn't. Its fine that people love or are very interested in psychology, but an open mind would certainly be neccessary.

• Exactly. Those are "the black sheep" in this field. They only think in a drawer-like system and put you in one category - big mistake !!!

And yes, an open mind is a must have for this subject !

• or they are just not intelligent enough to not think in rigid patterns.

• @DanHart Too true, which is exactly what they do yes. Put you in one single category, people are more diverse and deeper than that, but sadly this has been my majority of experiences in regards to that field. But im sure ther are some good psyciatrists out there, but I never met one anyway. True true, I think thats more important anyway, to keep an open mind. Are so many layers to people sometimes.

• If you remove yourself from the ivory tower, you would see that being a psychologist makes your relationships different, but not necessarily better. What is the divorce rate for PhD psychologist compared to college educated people?

• I'm interested in psychology myself but I will probably never get to study it. But I wouldn't mind dating one.

• Loool very unlikely. I have a lot of respect for psychology, sociology, anthropology, etc, as sciences. However, it's extremely easy to get a degree in them and most people go in it as their "oh I'm qualified to do this" resort, and learn it as a job rather than passion. Hence they end up being idiots.

• As someone who is not a psychologist and I am not studying to be one but am interested in psychology, I would be glad to.

• No because they are just as crazy as there patients are

• Guys this sounds stupid but it's actually true! Most psychologists HAVE psychologists xD

• I've been in love with a girl who's psychologist now.
    My bestie is a psychologist.

• Yeah.. I would have her come over with the lights dim while in the other room and say, "Good evening Clarice.."

• Lol I feel like she would be analyzing me all the time. I'd be watching what I say and how I act. Quite uncomfortable.

• Nope I have no desire to be with a head doctor.

• Never again. I dated one a few years back and it was hell. She kept trying to analyze how I felt about her and then kept trying to diagnose my mother issues.

• Hell no. Not happening in a million years.

• As long as she treats me as her boyfriend and not as another one of her patients, then yeah.

• Yeah I wouldn't care.

• Sure. Why not. If she's good, it will be a perfect relationship.

• My Girlfriend wants to be a neuroscientist. So I guess

• Im currently going to college for psych. What is your career (school counselor, clinical, etc)

• I am an industrial organization psychologist working as a consultant on a contract basis to companies who want to improve their human resource department by building teams.

• Only if she's hot.

• I don't really want someone analyzing every little thing I do

• Sure, they're probably less crazy.

• A know it all... ew

• I think psychologists think they know more than they actually do...

• if she isn't cray and try to analyze me all the time.

• As long as we have a great connection and she leaves her work at the workplace, sure I would.