Is romance dead? Is it unrealistic to find a guy that also wants a romantic and old fashioned type of relationship?

I mean you see all these romances and dramas and chick flicks where relationships are portrayed in a way that almost every girl wants. Guys, is that unrealistic, to have a romantic, cheesy, old fashioned relationship? It seems like so many relationships these days are just about sex, but does being old fashioned still exist?

Most Helpful Guy

• No it is not dead. I'm a guy and I think the same thing. Sadly I happen to be terribly shy around girls so also not going to get me very far. But sadly yeah there are really few of us romanticistists left.

• You shouldn't be shy, the world needs more guys like you.

What Guys Said 13

• Well, they're called chick flicks for a reason. Because it portrays a relationship that the girl wants, and nothing of what the guy wants.

Besides, that wouldn't keep a girl happy for long. Even if you found a guy who could provide that, you'd get bored of it.

• Perhaps, but don't blame it on us men, women are less romantic than guys. Yes, you girls want that romantic stuff, the fancy dinners, the picnics, the walks on the beach, the breakfast in bed, etc... but what romantic gestures do women give to men?
    You can't keep romance alive when only one is doing the romance and the other just takes it, either both work on that, or it dies.

• Very unrealistic.

For starters, it's a novelty, and novelties wear off. No woman wants that kind of relationship every day, as chick flicks are pretty much just emotional porn. I can guarantee that a guy behaving like the saps in those movies would turn a girl off very, very quickly if it were a recurring behaviour (you see women complaining about soft men all the time saying they need someone who can take charge and lead them).

The most important point, though, is that men don't actually enjoy doing that shit. Men don't communicate with each other on an emotional level like women do, so all of that romantic, mushy, loveydovey crap generally isn't top 10 on a guy's to-do list. Sure, a guy may 'like' to do it because it makes a woman feel special, but that's him enjoying making a woman feel special; It doesn't mean he actually enjoys sitting in a swan boat or going on some boring picnic/walk.

• No love is perfect like in those romance movies. Relationships and people have flaws. That's life. I do believe in love though.

• I totally believe that true romance and love alive and out there. You just can't expect perfection, though.

• Chick flicks are to women what porn is to mem essentially. As a matter of fact, I just read the best book written by a woman, that talks about the "magic hoo-haa" method of writing romances.

• Unfortunately there's no app for that.

• yea none of my friends want to get married or do romantic stuff unless she's amazing and their standards are unrealistic

• It is unrealistic

• Please give me some example of some movies or books

• In the sense of what you see in movies yes. Even guys who are gentlemen don't really want what happens in romance movies. The guy makes a complete doofus out of himself trying to win the girl in romance movies and no guy wants to be seen as a doofus in real life. Guys want romance but they just don't want to throw away their self respect in the process. Which seems to be expected in this modern day of romance.

• Yes it's unrealistic.

Seriously, WTF are women supposed to do for men? Any answer for that?

There seems to be no point for a guy to get involved with a girl, unless he's a naive inexperienced guy. Once you've been around the block, dating and marriage are a huge fucking turn off.

• It is very much possibile but i think most of the girls nowdays are killing the "old fashion" kind of relationships

What Girls Said 4

• Real life nothing like the movies, but gentlemen still exist.
    Its not all that cheesy notebook/any other dumb rom-com stuff, just some normal nice things a guys should do ( give you his jacket if you're cold, pull out your chair etc)
    I never dated a perfect guy or had a perfect relationship, but i always dated gentlemen.

• romance isn't dead. you might not find it in your age range... younger guys tend to be obsessed with sex, drama, and being douchebags. though of course there are always exceptions. just from seeing the guys my friends are dating... i can wholeheartedly say that romance is very much alive.

• Very rare. You can wait and hope to find a guy like that one day or just settle with someone who isn't what you're looking for.

Just keep in mind that movies are movies they are not reality.

• no, they are hard to find though totally worth it.