How do relationships become 'official'?

Do most guys usually just ask "will you be my girlfriend" or does it usually just become assumed? She brought up the subject of "what are we" the other night (I said dating) and I have the impression based on her & a few other girls that I should be making us official somehow. Planning on taking her to a good dinner this weekend / spending night with her and figured I'd ask if she'll be my girlfriend then? I've dated but never had a proper girlfriend so I guess I'm asking how I should be making it transition from dating ---> relationship?

Most Helpful Girl

• Almost all my relationships went "official" when the guy asked me verbally to be his girlfriend. It wasn't necessarily a big deal as in a huge dinner or going to some special place. My one ex asked me to be his girlfriend when we were watching a movie at his place and another ex asked me when we were on his computer 0_o So yeah you basically transition by asking them in person if they'll be your girlfriend. That's it :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah normally you talk about it explicitly, and the dividing line between (unspoken) not-boyfriend-and-girlfriend, and official boyfriend-and-girlfriend, is meaningful and very clear almost all the time.

I would just normally say, "Hey, you wanna be my girlfriend?" or "Are we boyfriend and girlfriend? What do you think?" After it was relatively clear we were a couple. Once I said, "You're my girlfriend, I'm claiming you," because I knew she would like that (and I knew she liked that kind of mild aggression, especially from a caring guy who wouldn't be unkind to her or mistreat her).

It's a fun conversation to have because it's usually quite liberating for both parties. Good luck.

What Girls Said 1

• You don't have to ask her to be your girl like back in the highschool days or anything lol Take her to dinner like you mentioned, tell her you're really keen of her and that while you two are spending time together, you will stay committed to her and expect that she'd do the same if this is going to continue.

What Guys Said 1

• Well there's quite a bit of documentation involved. You hit her with the question such as but not limited to "How do you feel about being one of my girlfriends?" She'll be thrilled obviously. But you lay down some rules and your principals such as but not limited to "valentines day is a crock of shite" or "I will not watch the notebook with you" Once she agrees, you can ask her to sign the contract at the bottom along with you signature. Hopefully she doesn't read the small print about not being allowed to leave you. If she doesn't notice, don't point it out. Then, look at that, you're set to go!