Unknown city or Hometown?

Should i stay in my hometown or move to unknown city? Im a student of 23 and i need to move out for my peace sake, living with my mom ain't bad but stressful because i have a crazy older sister, i held out for so long, worked so hard and saved money to get my drivers license asap. As much as i dont like my hometown at all, i have to go but to go an unknown city with no family or friends scares me because, i have no support system there, what if something happened? i get kicked out of the house, i dont have anyone then can come and pick me up? or something else? regardless i love the city but you know i am kinda scared... i dont have anything yet, like a car, license, or people i know over there that i can trust...

Most Helpful Guy

• No one loves their family these days.. pretty sad..

• but thats not my question

• so i shouldn't go?

• You can. But, don't expect a smooth ride. Also, looking at your current situation, I advise you not to, at least for now. Try to get the things you mentioned above - a car, licence and few people you know in the new city. That will make your life less stressful.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just moved back home, but I lived in another city for a few years, for college. And I lived in Europe for a while. I already have the travel bug again and I'm definitely considering either grad school abroad or applying for a job abroad after grad school here in the states. The world is so big, and there's so much to see and do. Stepping outside of your little hometown is one of the BEST things I think you could do. Conquer that fear, take charge and embark on a new chapter. What are you afraid of? You have your parents on the phone or email. (I hope, depends on your relationship) I hope you have friends who would continue to be friends and keep in touch. If you do it the right way, you'll meet more friends and more resourceful people. You'll probably tap into a resiliency and resourcefulness that you didn't know you had.

And you can always go back. What do you mean get kicked out of the house? Where are you planning to live?

But either way, I would go. Plan well, get a job before you go, or school, a program, whatever. Have a structure to fall into. Most of all, enjoy it. You don't really need a car, depending on the city. I moved to NYC, where it was pointless to drive. My parents drove me up there, but you could also fly if you can afford it, you could sell your things now for some money to help in transit, pay a friend `to drive you up UHaul style, etc. Unless its a city where you need to drive, of course. Big cities often have great public transit. Depends on where. Do what you feel is best, but challenge yourself as well. Good luck.

• its just that i dont have a support system over there

• No one does at first. You develop that when you get there. OR apply to a program, school, etc.

Here's an idea. If you're comfortable making low pay and having roommates, apply for Americorps. Its the domestic version of the Peacecorps. I'm doing it now. The pay sucks, but Iove my job. I'm an Americorps VISTA and I have a lot of responsibility in a small, budding nonprofit. You get a small education reward at the end of your year of service ($5700) and you can get two education awards if you do two years ($10,000-$11,000). This is a great way to move with a support network. I am pretty close to some of my Americorps friends, we have monthly meetings, we hang out and have happy hours. And you have a constant support network. At least, that is what my experience has been. However, you will have to live modestly, and you may have to go on food stamps. (I don't, because I'm living at home. The pay is the reason why.) But people make it work, and you will definitely have support.

• Just an idea. Although you may have to wait a few months for more jobs to start posting, as we are still in the beginning of the service year.

My branch of Americorps is VISTA, and I can only speak to that experience. Its more focused on "professional development" and administrative side of nonprofits vs other branches that focus more on direct service (teaching, mentoring people, etc.)

If you go abroad, you could do a teaching program. You'll have support from the program as well and make friends.

No pressure though. Some people really don't want to leave home.

What Guys Said 1

• I moved to an unknown city at your age. Oh was a great life experience made friends and stuff but over all was lonely

What Girls Said 0