Do physical traits actually matter?

Nowadays, it feels as if no one will date anyone unless they're hot. I'm not ugly but I'm not pretty either, I'm just meh. So does physical appearance actually matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• Does it matter? Yes.
    Should you care? No.
    Will you be more successful if you don't care? Yes. Because more often than not the thing that lessens the chances of finding someone is our insecurity over looks. I used to think I'm ugly (well objectively speaking I still am lol) but I stopped caring about that and have been feeling better ever since.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it matters if you place importance on it. There will always be individuals who will only date "hot" people, but there will also always be individuals who don't necessarily care for that. Sure, at some point, there has to be physical attraction in a relationship, but there are those who place very little importance on looks. They're out there.

I see what you mean, though, with all these dating apps/sites around, looks are the first thing we see, and from that we choose whether we want to give them a chance/date or not. Still, I say, the right people are out there. Plus, you're still young, don't be discouraged!

What Guys Said 13

• Pretty much. People today no longer view each other as people, or really care about one another. Today we live in a world with fake people who use one another to get ahead, whether's it's for sex, money, social status etc.

We are now downgrading to animals with loss of morality and ethics, and basically working on animalistic instinct of looking for people who are hot and jumping right into a relationship with them.

People do this today because we've been socially encourage to by the media to do this. Just look at movies, tv commericals etc. All geared towards getting a hot mate.

People no longer care about a person's character, moral value but their looks, money and social status. Therefore for this reason many couples will be short live in this generation and I expect most marriages/LTR to end after 5 years. Congrats we have now all assimilated into the ideals of hollywood where most marriages fail due to TV/MEDIA BRAINWASHING.

• There's a reason you dress up for dates, to go to weddings, to go to job interviews.

People will always form impressions of you based on your appearance. Yes, it matters!

• I think they matter for most people but a lot of people have insane standards. They usually drop them though because they realize next to no one meets them and that one person that does meet them they find out they themselves don't meet that persons standards.

• I'm not hot either, but I've never really had a problem finding girlfriends. People are attracted to different things, there's no accounting for taste.

• Thanks, that helps. :)

• Im not myself, just an average looking dude, but for me, I am finding it pretty difficult to get a girl. Rejection right after another

• @Johnny567 Same... but a guy has been flirting with me lately, and I don't know whether he's playing with me or not...

• Women in general are a lot more critical and self-critical. Just look at the raw stats here: blog.okcupid.com/.../#comments

Guys are by far not as critical as you think.

• Physical appearance only matters if you are healthy or not healthy. That is why people dont look to date fat people, because the fatness is connected with unhealthiness. You can have the same thing on the other end of the spectrum where a person is so thin they look malnourished. Maintain your health and the guys will come. Then use your mind and personality to hook them. :)

• Not at all. At least, not for the guy that really falls for your personality.

• Thank you, I suppose he'll have to fall for my sarcasm!

• Thanks! But I don't see why you're arguing.

• I'm not really that bothered, because he hasn't got an answer. LOL! I'm too busy on GAG!

• I'm not perfect, but I'm as best as I can get. If a woman won't understand that, then she's not for me.

• Yes , it matters, and you are 15 , people look their worst in their teenage years.. well not the worst.. 2nd worst. people look the worst in their oldage.

• Of course it matters. A person's only going to approach you if they already knew you and like your personality or they like your appearance. Thus strangers won't approach you unless you are attractive to them.

• You just said "no one will date anyone unless they're hot" so yes that means physical traits do matter. Physical appearances also matters, because that is the same thing as what you are talking about...

• Well... sometimes

• yeah people will just hard 2 find

What Girls Said 13

• Yes, looks do matter to a certain extent. Realistically, someone is not going to want to date a person they aren't physically attracted to. Looks are what initially draws someone in until that person can talk more and get to know someone on a deeper level. That being said, I'm a firm believer that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." There's someone out there for everyone.

I've seen plenty of men I think are unattractive, yet they are in successful relationships. Just because I don't find someone attractive doesn't mean that person is universally unattractive. Does that make sense? You can't please everyone, but I'm sure there are people out there who would like you just the way you are and who will find you attractive so don't worry about it too much.

• Of course it matters, but personality matters a lot more. Personality also has the power to make someone seem more attractive than they actually are.

• At 15 it can feel that way but the older you get you'll realise it's less important. Or rather, you meet more people who appreciate the way you look. In high school you're with the same group of people for years, when you leave high school and meet more and more people you're more likely to find people who like your looks.

• Well they matter, otherwise my crush would've liked me by now. lol
    Ok, so on a more serious note, for the right person, what will matter is your personality, besides some looks (you need some physical attraction), everything that is you, from your silly lsugh, to your intelligence to your sarcasm to whatever.
    To be honest, at your age, guys are starting to "develop" and they tend to get a little shallow, it's that excitement of "Oh look what a hot girlfriend I have". As you grow, and as they grow, most of them change. They look for more than that. Even at my age (19) guys still go for amazingly looking girls, but I've seen them realise that just the appearance itself is not enough to actually build a connected relationship.

Don't worry, you have a long way to go, the right guy will come and he'll like you for everything you are when the time is right.

• to an extent, but theyre not everything.

• I think the whole package counts! You have to be funny and have an attractive personality.

• Well not everyone is a 10 but everyone can be the best they can ;)
    Being fit, healthy, groomed and happy plays a large role on one s appearance.
    Plus there is always charisma, how you carry tourself, manners, intelligence...
    All play a role in a person a attraction level.
    And this attraction level (%) varies from person to person.

• There are people out there such as myself who loom for something much deeper than looks... It's just lest common now because of how society tells us how we should look. Materialism and looks are all most people care about these days, they don't know how to appreciate the more important things.. it shouldn't matter what you look like if you find someone who actually cared about you and loves you. They'll love you as you, the way you are. Whether you gain weight, loose weight get a bad hair cut, have crooked teeth, or a few scretch marks or scars... none of that matters to someone who actually love you and sees how wonderful you are. Never ever settle for someone who says you have to look a certain way or have so much money in order to be with them. Fond somebody who loves YOU and all of your qualitys as well as your flaws.

• you don't need to be hot to be in relationships. that's what the media tells us, but it so isn't true lol. look at all of the people on the planet. most people are probably around average and they're doing just fine.

• Well the person has to think you're hot, otherwise why would they date them?

I don't get people like you, do you walk around with your eyes shut? It's like you've never seen a normal couple.

• Of course it matters

• yeah subconsciously you wouldn't even approach someone with the intention of starting a relationship without finding them the slightest bit attractive :)

• Overal physically appearance for me doesn't not matter, I'm not much to look at so keep with reality.