Comforting depressed girlfriend over the phone?

My girlfriend deals with depression and cuts every once in a while.

She just lost her best friend and most of her other friends and is really depressed about it.

I live 30 miles away and work so I can't always be there with her to comfort her.

Can someone help me or give me tips on how to make her feel better over the phone?

What do I say?

Most Helpful Girl

• Try to be positive. When she talks about something that she is upset about, find something even if its the most miniscule positive thing she has said and then emphasize it. Make sure you tell her how much you love her but most of all just listen.
    I don't know if this would work for you but when I was going through a really hard time, depression and cutting, as well, what really helped was my best friend would call me every single morning and she would call me to say good morning and she would talk about all the possitive things in her life making me think about the good things I've got going for me. she would then give me a crazy dare. or something to do for just me. she would tell me to do my nails or watch a particularly stupid movie. she would then text me throughout the day making sure i did the task she gave. it really helped me, I don't know it might help her. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell her that she can vent to you, that you won't turn her away, tell her how much you love her, and how much she means to you. She needs to be reminded that there are still people in her life who love her.

What Girls Said 2

• just be there for her and be sweet by talking things out about her best friend if needed. do something that would like sending her a funny pic or cute poem. whatever she is into. when a girl loses her best friend it could be heart breaking so you can do that or give her space is the last thing you can do.

• Just try to make her laugh and be around her.

What Guys Said 1

• Make it a Skype chat. It feels better. You can engage her in by looking at her expressions. Listen to her, reassure it's okay by repeating what she has been saying. It shows you're really listening.