Do you think that people who have online 'relationships' are sad or pathetic?

Like, people on here who say they're in a relationship, even though they live in different countries and have never met each other.
Isn't it sad that these people obviously can't meet someone in real life, so they resort to flirting online, and going so far as to start 'dating'?
Personally I think it's pretty pathetic. Like, get a life. Grow some social skills.

• Yeah, it's super pathetic
  • I'm one of those pathetic people
  • Other or results

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh Damn here we go. -_-...
    Firstly I would like to disclose that: I've personally never done online dating or dated someone exclusively online, nor do I have any intention to in the immediate future.

So I'm not exactly clear what your issue is.
    Is it that these people have no face to face social skills or that the medium of which they share their relationship is fake or illegitimate.

Ok, so in my previous relationship I met my partner while hanging out in the city. Long story short we can barely see each other at times only meeting once a month. Most of our interaction was through technology, you know texting/messages, voice chats etc.
    So is our relationship legitimate? I barely see her and once she left the country I didn't see her at all. Much of our relationship developed online, you go to the cinema we shared a Skype call while watching Netflix.
    Is it legitimised because we have met each other? Is physical contact a requirement for a relationship? I don't think so.

Another part of online dating that I sympathise with is the convenience. Judging by the amount of dating based questions on this site, meeting your significant other seems to be a very difficult task these days.
    I have a friend who is in a two year relationship which all started from weeks of online chatting with a stranger. They now happily live with each other. He isn't some anti social reject. He works full time and doesn't have the time to go out 'hunting for birds'.

Somewhat contradictory to this stuff i would say that marrying someone you have never seen is a little weird and yeah going out of your way to meet people online is a little petty. Security concerns are always a bit shit but hey that's life, I've known people who have lied about themselves straight to my face, this being no different to lying online.

In conclusion

"Who am I to judge, What others do because, Thier shoes don't fit my feet"

Most Helpful Girl

• It's silly and harmless, but I can't help but find it a little sad.

• Not always harmless. There have been heaps of times where people 'dated' online, shared info, then one of them committed fraud or something, stole money or assets, and got away with it. Or they eventually meet up and one person is a rapist/paedophile/murderer. It happens.
      Definitely sad.

• Exactly. It's something I expect from teenagers, but then adult in their 20s and 30s do it and it's so weird!

• Some people are too trusting.

What Guys Said 16

• I think people who belittle others have no life themselves so they resort to coming online and talking shit while they could have been doing something more productive like jumping off a bridge.

• Many great leaders, Scientists, celebrities and otherwise influential people, folks that lived very social and rich lives, have done the exact equivalent of what constitutes the bulk of internet communication.
    The benefits of having PEN PALS has been enjoyed for Centuries!
    Being curious about attitudes and predispositions of people that are perhaps far away, is Human Nature. Personally, I have to write creatively as a consultant. Expressing my babble creatively in places like this, keeps me sharp! It can be dammed entertaining too! Not to sound self-absorbed, but Gads, I sleigh me sometimes! You guys give me all kinds of angles to go off on!
    I'm not lonely. I don't live in a cave. I don't need to look for companionship online.
    But I'm treated as if that was my agenda, often. I can understand most of that, but I'm sure I've never elicited the cruelty that some have tried to inflict on me. Anonymity tends to encourage Dark Souls to surface, when no accountability is present.

I would hesitate to label someone whom has no other social environment to express them self in, "pathetic". Everyone has an awkwardness in some aspect of their character. The way that manifests can be impossible to perceive in one person, and constitute the entire identity of another.
    By all means, give the creeps a Fair Trial, then take em' out and shoot their Ass. But some poor individuals at least have some outlet for Human connection now, that they didn't have only 25 years ago. Back then they were completely lost, in mind... and eventually, in their lives.

• Who cares let those people be happy :)

• I dunno, if you have to have an online fake relationship, I don't think you're very happy.

• I think it may be a bit naive. Like, I think in most cases these relationships will disintegrate before they meet, and the 'online world' might be a convenient escape from reality. But, hey, to each their own. We're all silly in some aspect of our lives, I'm certainly not judging, in the right circumstances, I'm sure love can, and has, blossomed. Ultimately, it's just another medium. There are ways to make it more tangible, such as Skype, or meeting. Alas, one can't always be as socially adept as you, miss anonymous :)

• I think everyone has a right to pursue a relationship their way. It might come across as far out to a lot of us but everyone has different acceptances as to what works for them. So really we shouldn't judge but just hope they find what they are looking for and be grateful the we don't have to search online to find our soul mate. It shouldn't make them pathetic because they do. x

• *shrug* do what makes you happy

• Ehhh... I would never do that, I just don't like it and I don't see the point of it. How can I be with someone I can't see or touch?
    I wouldn't think they're pathetic though, they may have found someone online they like more than those they've met in person so it's not that they can't find someone in real life (which may be the case, not always though), but they met someone online that's better for them.

• An online relationship is legitimately a relationship in the general sense of the word. I only have an issue with people who can't recognize the difference between that and a face to face relationship and don't acknowledge the shortcomings of online interaction.

• its not sad or pathetic, these people for whatever reason just haven't found a connection with someone close to them, but have found someone online whom they have built a relationship, the only sad part about it is that these people are unlikely to meet thus making it more difficult for their relationship to grow and lose out on little things, that a couple in the same place can, like a hug, a kiss etc.

• You can't really claim a relationship with someone you can't know because you haven't met. Making friends online is fine, but calling is a relationship is stupid af.

• You can't actually know who someone is online. It's naive as fuck to think they can't be pretending.

• It's impossible to pretend when physically next to a person though?

• Based on your wording, I can tell you were madly in love with an internet boyfriend. Then he "dumped" you for a girl he knew in person, now you hate your self and everyone else who sympathizes with online relationships.

Don't say that's not true, you didn't even put any effort at concealing the story behind your post.

• You. move away tporqry from your girlfriend because of college and you keep communicating online and I don't see how that's pathetic if anything it shows character since you are stil together even though the distance

• I don't think it's pathetic but it will be super difficult for them.

• Not at all haha, whatever sizzles your bacon :P as long as they meet up in person why not?

• But they haven't, and probably never will if they live on the other side of the planet XD

• Haha, well I can't change your opinion :) Did something happen which made you feel this way?

• No, just common sense. Meet someone before you call them your boyfriend/girlfriend.

• What do you think @asianflower?

• I think until you meet face to face then you can't call it a relationship.

• I miss you every day even though we haven't met in real life.

• No I don't think that. But I like how you worded the options in your poll to leave no choice to vote for a "non-pathetic" option.

• I think in this day and age it's perfectly normal to meet someone online and with all the technology it's easier to have a long distance thing, but meeting someone online and then traveling to meet in person is totally different to just being in online "relationship" for years. When all your communication is from behind a screen, it's easy to create this idea, a fantasy of what this person is like, it's easy to delude yourself that they are who you want your dream person to be. I think it gives people comfort, the idea they have someone there, it makes them feel better about themselves, and some people who avoid real life use it as a substitute. While getting to know someone without being physical at first has its' advantages (like not rushing into things), you kinda need to meet in real world soon enough. Otherwise you can think you've found a perfect person, and once you meet, once you feel their touch, their kiss, their smell, their walk, their presence, once you know their daily habits, once you see them in context of their surroundings, once you see how they interact with others, how they function in the world and not just from your computer screen - maybe the chemistry won't be there, maybe it's not this picture you created in your head and in your heart. So it's best to meet as soon as you can, otherwise you may lose significant time and get very disappointed.

What Girls Said 15

• Hi there, I'm one of those "pathetic" people :)
    I used to have a similar opinion to yours, I never thought I'd find myself in such a situation, but the right person came along and it just happened. I mean, I get what you're saying, but unfortunately not everyone's soulmate lives down the street... there are 6 billion people in the world, you really think the one you're supposed to be with is like 15 minutes away from you? If so, you're a lucky duck, but it's not like that for everyone.
    Yes, if you don't have plans to meet eventually, the relationship is pretty worthless, but if you know that someday you are gonna meet, I don't see the problem.

• I don't get how you can call it a relationship if you're never met. It's pretty stupid. Being friends is cool, that's whatever. But it's not an actual relationship. That's just a bit sad.

• Its the same as @idkwtftoputhere wouldn't want to bear ma child but along the road, im shure dat dirty little mind of hers will change 🌹💏

• @keyspirits
      omg

• Sounds like someone has a bad case of sour grapes~

• Nah, I don't think it's pathetic at all.

• So you're one of them?

• I had an online thing about a year ago. I wouldn't really call it a relationship but it was something. Honestly, I'm glad it happened despite it not going anywhere. The experience really helped me grow as a person.

• I don't think it's pathetic. I do believe it can be something dangerous, especially if they decide to meet up in person so precautions should be taken. People have different kinds of social skills, just because theirs is different from yours doesn't mean they lead pathetic lives. Sometimes it's easier for some people to express themselves and show who they really are through online interactions than in person. Sure, it does seem disingenuous, but a liar online is no different than a liar in person. People can be dangerous and fake whether you've met them in a group chat or the coffee shop down the road.

• I don't think you can call it "dating" if it is strictly online and you've never met in real life.

However, it is possible to get to know someone online and have a relationship with them in the literal sense of the word (association, connection and involvement). One of the perks of an online "relationship" is that you can feel free to be yourself with the other person when you may not be so liberal in person. The downside of a cyber "relationship" of course is that you can't be with the person physically.

I think a real relationship can form online for sure. But to sustain itself over the long-term, the relationship must eventually materialize itself in real life.

@trotters

• In the midst of the night, asker feels the need to touch thine self.

• My real life boyfriend does that for me, thanks ;)

• No wonder they had to meet up online.

• THE ONLY DRUG I AM ADDICTED TO IS YOUR LOVE JELLY PIE <3

• Oh bby, you only think that because you haven't opened your heart to muh lurveee...

s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/.../6.gif

• Assumptions. You can't possibly know what goes on between them in real life. I know quite a few people who met online and are in full relationships; that includes people on this site.

• Wow, I just LOVE how unbiased your poll results are ffs

• To be perfectly honest I think it's kinda sad. Not even in the ways you'd think. And I make assumptions about the kind of people that "date" online and never actually meet their SO.

• I don t think anything. It s none of my business.

• its not pathetic, just sad.

• It's sad, but it can help people gain confidence in real life situations. I'm not going to tell someone it doesn't work, because they're the only ones that can decided if it will or will work. It's sad for a lot of reasons, but in all honesty I'm glad they found at least one person they have a connection with... Online or in person. Most humans need that comfort in order to maintain more than the image of stability.

• Personally, I would never have an online relationship. I am just superficial with people online.

People tend to build an image of what they are like as a person. They are actually in love with an illusion, because it is impossible to get to know who the person really is just by chatting online. Usually when they meet their illusion is shattered.

People build online friendships or relationships because what they have in real life is not enough for them.

Building friendships or relationships on the internet is naive. It makes you vulnerable and open to manuipulation or much worse.

• Sensin pathetic