Should I not see a guy anymore because he has cold sores?

We went out on our first date and he is amazing but yesterday he told me he had a cold sore and I've never been around anyone with a cold sore it kinda freaks me out. Should i stop talking to him? Or can i work things out with him honestly i am so confused my friend told me that if i got the cold sore my body will fight it and i saw videos that say i will just have the virous forever.

Most Helpful Guy

• Pay attention:
    "Yes — it is possible to get genital herpes from oral sex.

Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of herpes viruses — HSV-1 and HSV-2. Genital herpes is usually caused by HSV-2; oral herpes (cold sores) is usually caused by HSV-1.

However, genital herpes can also be caused by HSV-1. Someone with HSV-1 can transmit the virus through oral contact with another person's genitals, anus, or mouth, even if they don't have sores that are visible at the time.

Other than abstinence (not having sex) the best way to help prevent herpes is to use a condom during any type of sex (oral, vaginal, or anal). Girls should have their partners use a dental dam every time they receive oral sex to help protect against genital herpes. And if either partner has a sore, it's best to not have sex until the sore has cleared up."
    kidshealth.org/.../hsv1_sores.html

• But if he only has the cold sore and it goes away can we kiss or will i get infected?

• He is telling me he got it from the cold

• About all adults get cold sores/fever blisters every now and then.
      Once they're gone transmission risk is low enough, not to care.
      Acyclovir/Virumerz is the classic treatment.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is herpes.. And it does not have to be from sexual activity. There is a high percentage of adults who have this. I believe you can get them when he has it on his lips.. but if they are not then you should be fine...
    You will have the herpes forever. You can get this from even being a baby and having random people kiss you or whatever..

What Guys Said 1

• I think over 90% of adults has that virus that causes cold sores. Some people it just stays dormant in though and never manifests in sores. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just wait for it to go away.

What Girls Said 1