Dating someone with Oral HSV-1?

Would you be less likely to date someone who carries the HSV-1 virus and has out breaks orally? Knowing that there are risks of spreading the virus through kissing and oral sex.

I get cold sores. About 2-3 a year. Usually brought on by stress, food allergies, high acidic foods, and when my immune system is down. I avoid kissing and wash my hands frequently, because I have such a high paranoia that I could give it to someone.

I've read that it's less likely to spread the virus if there is no sore present on the mouth, (way less likely to spread than HSV-2), but there are still risks. I fear that no guy is going to want to date me in fear of contracting HSV-1 orally or genitally. Which I couldn't really blame him for. What do I do?

Advice please.

Most Helpful Guy

• About 70-75% of the American carry the HSV-1 virus. Though, I've never had a cold sore my ex-wife would occationally get a small one. So, I'm sure I carry the virus. Around 20-25% of Americans carry the HSV-2 virus. HSV-1 and HSV-2 are almost identical and both can manifest on any of the body's mucosal surfaces, usually the mouth or genitals.

The primary difference between the two viral types is in where they typically establish latency in the body- their "site of preference." HSV-1 usually establishes latency in the trigeminal ganglion, a collection of nerve cells near the ear. From there, it tends to recur on the lower lip or face. HSV-2 usually sets up residence in the sacral ganglion at the base of the spine. From there, it recurs in the genital area.

Stop being paranoid! 3 out of every 4 (a pretty conservative estimate in my opinion) people carry the HSV-1 virus; so, it's likely you're not going to infect someone who's not already infected. I don't think anyone is going to fear your cold sores, if they do just move on. Most people know better.

• Yeah, I don't know why I'm so paranoid. My good friend at work even said to me today, "I've never seen someone react the way you do about it. My friends get them all the time, I'm not worried about getting them."

Thanks =]

• Stop worrying stay away from high acidic food, probably the #1 cause of cold sores, try to eat healthy and take a multi-vitamin, if you don't already take one. This will greatly reduce the number of cold sores. Unless you work in the medical profession around patients with a compomised immune system, don't worry about anything. HSV-1 is just as common as chicken pox, which BTW is virius in the herpes family. Thank You for "Best Answer"

• Yeah I read up a lot on them. I don't eat salty foods and certain fruits/juices. I also take L-Lysine every other day just to keep them at bay.

You're welcome for the best answer. Thanks for giving me such a good answer.

What Guys Said 4

• Well I think that most people actually already have that virus, it's pretty common. I get canker sores and I don't worry about it at all. The only thing I do is not to share drinks with friends. So I wouldn't care if a girl has it.

• Canker sores aren't the same thing.

But thank you for your answer. =]

• I don't think that's a canker sore. I get them around my mouth but never on my tongue.

• Maybe it's just like a cut I get them.

• Everyone is going to feel differently about this issue, but there are a lot of people who have cold sores. So don't beat yourself up over it, and of course avoid "contact" while having an outbreak.

Good Luck,

James

• I would not want to date a girl with herpes, unless she is absolutely amazing. I would also lose a lot of respect if she would tell me she has it AFTER we have sex.

• It's not that kind of herpes. It's cold sores and canker sores around your mouth. It is actually a pretty common virus. I'm sure you know tons of people who have it.

• Thanks, TimePhantom.

• I wouldn't care either way. STDs don't matter to me.

What Girls Said 2

• The majority of people have it, whether it appears anymore or not, I wouldn't worry about it, it's like chicken pox.

BUT never do oral sex with a present cold sore, you may give your partner genital herpes.

God never have a warned someone "oh by the way I get a cold sore about once a year" lol. I've had cold sores since I was four so have all my family and half my friends, f*** it, it's normal. Buy abreva and don't kiss anyone.

• Haha thanks for the answer! So do I wait to tell him until I have one to tell him?

• Yeah, basically. Hey honey, sorry I don't want to kiss you cause I have a cold sore. That's it. Noe honey I can't give you head. Done.

• it's been suggested that L-Lysine would be helpful for deterring cold sores from forming. you can search it more on google or on nutritionhouse.ca- or any other health food supplement website

• Yeah I take it once in awhile when I eat foods that may cause them. And when I have them I take a lot of L-Lysine. Thanks for the info!