Do long distance relationships really work?

Most Helpful Girl

• If the two people really want it to work, I guess... but it's hard
    I know a couple that is still together, but he moved back into our town so now they see each other every day
    But for example my best friend as her bff were sich a great couple. They are currently broken up because they fight over the distance thing. Like a 7 -8 hour distance.

• That's what I'm currently in, we were very great friends. The best, it eventually turned into a strong feeling. We feel in love, cliche I know lol

• Thanks for MHO :)

• Sorry for the late MHO, was lagging. You deserved it for your great advice

What Girls Said 8

• If both parties want them to work.
    It's just like with real relationships, some of them do, some of them don't.

• They work IF you have set goals for the relationship like wanting to live in the same place in a years time.

• meh, unlikely, but with a lot of effort, communication and trust it can.

• Mine seems to be working.

• Only if the two people want to work! Very few people have had sucess they are rare!

• It totally depends on us... If we want to make it work sure it will work... and It won't work when only one of the partner's is putting effort for making it work... I'd suggest both of you discuss it with each other... ask yourself as well as your partner whether he/ she are ready for the hardship that you'll have face in this long distance relationship... long distance relationship are like climbing mountains... when you reach at the top... the view is worth the hardships...

• From my experience no they don't but also I don't think my ex and I would have worked out anyways. But honestly I say give it a shot if u really like her

• They can if you both put in the effort. :) Are you still with this girl?

What Guys Said 5

• Sure it's possible not gonna lie its really hard, but it is possible. The success of a long distance relationship depends on the people in it, their will to make it work.

Several things are needed and vital to the survival of one though.

Communication
    Effort
    Trust
    Contact ( visiting each other )

I've been in two so far and both times it never ended because of the distance itself.

• It only works if both people are putting in constant effort to keep the relationship alive. That means talking often, visiting when they can etc.

• Yeah sure. We have examples of some that are together now, and share house, and have kids... They started really rare, but i think it's growing a lot.

One negative point about that, is that we can't really find what are the (all) negative points about the other person, that's a caracteristic that helps the relationship work.
    It kinda compensates with the problem of not being able to touch her, because we will believe we found a very special person, one in a million, when we just aren't able to know the person fully. Can be an illusion, for some.

Buuuut, that doesn't mean it's not love.
    The same can happen even if we know the person personally.
    Example:
    "Ow im so disappointed with him/her, since we started sharing one single house i discover how he/she really is... and damn, im so into dumping him/her now..."

Soo... we all can live a certain degree of illusion (or not, depends of the people)
    But i do believe love can grow.

• This is what I personally think,
    It's basically like having an imaginary girlfriend

• Kinda, not really, sometimes. Depends on the people.