Is weight a factor when it comes to dating?

Let's say you met someone online and you've been talking for about a month. The chemistry is amazing, their personality is great and you can talk to them about anything. You're super attracted to them already simply because they're an overall cool person. Let's say you finally get to meet them in person and they aren't at all what you expected physically. Maybe they're a bit overweight, I'm not talking 500 pounds but just a bit on the chubbier side. Would you still date them or would their weight be a turn off? Is weight a factor?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Weight is definitely a factor. Don't catfish that shit. It depends on how much overweight. How much it changes your appearance. If they aren't "at all" what I expected, then I would be pissed. That's false advertising. I would just turn around and go home. There have been instances where a man has beaten the shit out of a catfish. There was one in China where this man spent like $2,000 on plane tickets to go see this woman he was talking to online, and she was basically just completely different from her profile picture, and he beat her up. People want to rationalize it like, "Oh, well, as long as we click that's all that matters, and they can look past this or that lie." But as sad as the world is sometimes, you can't ignore that appearance is a very big factor in who people choose to be with.

As you put it, 'a bit chubbier', I wouldn't think it would be as much of a big deal. To me, it would really depend on how much it shifted her appearance. To me personally, it would be a bigger deal than most guys, I think; because fat is my biggest turn off. I've tried dating a few girls who were just a tad overweight, and I couldn't do it. I just wasn't attracted to them. If it shifts their figure noticeably, I can't do it. A bit of fat isn't a big deal--to me--and women naturally have a higher body fat percentage to prepare for childbearing, but if it warps their figure or face, I think that's when it becomes an issue.

So, to anyone who would do that, I would say let them know. If you can really talk to them about anything, then I think this is something you should talk to them about. I know it's scary and you don't want to lose this great person, but ultimately, if you really click that much, it shouldn't be an issue.

What Guys Said 12

• yes i would still date them

i won't lie and say weight isn't a factor. but someone who's just a bit overweight certainly wouldn't turn me off from dating them

• I have to be physically attracted. It would be unethical to lead someone on that I'm not attracted to.

• I would definitely not date them BECAUSE SIZE DOES MATTER. Just as equally as you want your boyfriend to be taller. He wants you to be skinnier or curvier.

• Pretty much this. I don't understand why girls make it out that losing weight and having a BMI of 20-24.5 is so hard, when they straight up would not date guys who are certain height or shorter than them. Guys can't grow inches without major surgery that fuck up their nerves, but women can lose weight by regularly exercise and watching what they eat.

• If she was a little chubby, I'd actually be even more into her :-)

• So in short... yes weight matters the only way a relationship will last is if there is physical attraction as well as personal. I have no attraction to fat girls, but I myself don't want to be fat. But chubby is perfect.

• It's not an issue for me. I connect with someone on a much deeper level. Obviously, I would be less likely to talk to someone who weighs 500 lbs that I would someone who weighs 100 lbs - but ultimately I would love you even if you didn't have legs.

• If there is a real connection, weight shouldn't matter

• As long as they are not heavily overweight, and they must be willing to go to the gym with me so I help her loose weight.

• I go more. for a woman's personality so weight wouldn't be a problem for me

• yes I dont like overly skinny girls, nor do I like overly heavy girls

• Weight can become a major factor.

Men are generally more forgiving of a few extra pounds than slim women imagine, but for (almost) every guy, there's a weight range that if you pass, it really crushes his attraction for the woman.

• Chubby girls are alright.

What Girls Said 8

• First off I LOVE i mean LOVE chubby guys not crazy chubby like 300 lbs lol but yeah! I mean if you don't feel physical attractive to him than there's no point in staying. You know... a little chubby is good too much is like meh so i would be like no... I don't want someone I am not attracted too even if his personality is great..! Maybe his personality make up for his bad side or something! But I am sure if i was in your situation i would leave because i can't deal with not begin able to flirt with him and actually lie to him... anyway, wish you luck!

• Same! I love chubby/fat guys. I was just curious

• Well that's good! At least you're confident 😌

• yeah sometimes... sometimes I am like ughhh I fat so thats why no one like me! But than I go on GaG and they ressure me my inside is beautiful!

• It depends. I personally would never meet somebody who I wasn't positive of their entire physical appearance. However, I have been open to dating chubbier guys before but honestly, at this point in my life I am less likely to do so. A little pooch is fine but pushing that is a bit of a turn off. Mind you, I'm not saying 100% that I wouldn't, but that it is less likely.

Although if it's a bit of pudginess it could be lost over time so I could also consider that.

• I have a boyfriend and he has a bit of a belly. For me I had a limitation. I am disabled so I need someone who is capable of helping me out. Especially once I get older, and my muscles start to spasm more, and lock up more. So if someone is not physically capable of helping me then that might not work well. It is not easy to rely on people. I feel like a burden sometimes. I try to stay in shape the best I can. So It is more enjoyable to have someone to do that with, and who can help me. Someone who knows what I can do.

• To most people - it is...
    Whether they dislike really skinny people or really overweight people.
    Or they just can't be attracted to some body shapes and can to others...

• Turn off. I don't expect perfection, but I can't do overweight.

• I wouldn't date them if they're overweight. If they're not overweight, but not skinny. That's cool.

• It would be a turn off

• Of course soul is more important than appearance, but I'm not sure about weigh.