Why do women still expect men to pay for the first date and possibly other dates in the future?

I understand that this is still prevelant from yester year but I feel like it shouldn't be. This automatically puts the women in debt to the man. If men and women are equal then shouldn't the women and man just pay their own way on dates? How are men and women equal if the man is expected to pay for at least the first date?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think whoever asks for the date should pay. AND that it doesn't hurt to pay, split etc. personally my boyfriend pays for the date always, i've tried paying for it and he doesn't let me.

What Girls Said 3

• I have always said that it isn't the man's responsibility to pay, it's personal choice. I always suggest people go dutch.

• I wouldn't expect the man to pay on dates at all. I'd prefer to pay my own way.

• I remember whrn I first started going out with my boyfriend and I didn't feel right about letting him pay, so we would split the bill. He wasn't happy about it one bit. Now he doesn't mind because I let him pay more times.

What I'm saying is, most guys actually want to pay and show they can. Specially if they like you and isn't just casual.

What Guys Said 2

• Well... I would personally be ok with paying for the first date, but after that I would prefer to split the bill. If she's not ok with this, I'll be calling it quits. I mean... she isn't my friend, girlfriend or wife at that point, so why should I keep paying for her? The only exception may be if she's broke and genuinely can't afford to pay.

• I just don't get why so many guys are worked up about this. It just doesn't cost that much to entertain a woman unless you are trying to put on a big show and if a woman expects that you should look for another woman. But quibbling over a few dollars? If I was a woman and a guy did that I'd be out of there, nobody wants to be around someone like that. What kind of a life would you have with such a man? I'd look for a guy who was open handed and generous not because I was greedy or grasping but because I wouldn't want to be around a cheapskate.

• Your not taking into consideration the point of my question. I accept the fact that this is still the way things go, I have paid for entire dates on a number of occasions, even when they where expensive. I find it kind of romantic. But the point of my question is why women want this to happen to them. If I where a modern women with a full time job and could pay my own way I would. Just because it is an accepted custom, it doesn't mean it should continue. This custom only serves to put the women in debt to the man. The world is becoming a more equal place and as it does, I believe old customs like this one will slowly slip away. As more women bring home the bacon with full time salaried positions with benefits I think it will become less custom for a man to pay because the women can pay her own way. Maybe one date the women will pay for everything then the next date the man will pay for everything, that still makes it romantic and fun but equal.