Would you date someone with depression or other mental health issues?

Depression, bipolar disorder, panic/anxiety, eating disorders, etc.

• Yes
  • No
  • Everyone has their own baggage

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone has something. Of course I want others to be happy, but sometimes life's struggles can be too much. I would (and have) date someone with anxiety or mild depression. I wouldn't go looking for someone to date like this, but if I really cared for him, then I'd date him.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I have in the past.

What Girls Said 6

• Well being as I have anxiety, and iv had depression so I would definitely date someone with mental health issues

• No I wouldn't. I have depression and adding another person who has some sort of mental illness would just make it worse.

• It could have the potential to make it better. But I can see where you're coming from, it could either go amazingly right or horribly wrong depending on the person.

• Ah, I understand. I'm sorry it ended badly for you.

• Yea, shit happens haha.

• No one is perfect. Everyone has their own problems and we have to learn to accept people the way that they are. No one chooses to suffer from a mental illness, and it is unfair to just treat them as less than others. I used to suffer from severe obsessive compulsive disorder and feel like I was worthless and did not deserve even friends. Others don't deserve to feel the same way.

• Yeah, I would. It might be stressful sometimes, or scary sometimes (if he had suicidal ideation). But if I liked him and cared about him and he liked me back, depression or anxiety disorders or panic attacks wouldn't stop me at all. My closest friend has all of that (moderate to severe depression, anxiety, a few panic attacks, even a couple of auditory hallucinations when she was super stressed), so I know what I'd be getting into.
    The only thing is, I would have to know that he liked me too, and he'd have to be willing to open up to me about his thoughts and feelings and all that. If I just had to sit there not knowing what he was thinking or feeling, not knowing what's going on, and not being able to help in any way... I think that might be too stressful to take.

• No because it wouldn't make sense if we both were insane and depressed!

• When I met my boyfriend he actually had severe depression. I'm happy to say he's gotten so much better since the time we met and I'm happy to have been by his side and help him in any way I could.

Mental illness isn't something to run from.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes. I already did, actually. The only girlfriend I had had panic attacks and depression. It didn't work out, but I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

• Of course not. i don't even like these people to be my friends to take them as a potential lover.

• What if you had a close friend who developed a mental illness? Would you just decide to not stay friends?

• I understand your side. Some people find it easier than others to help those struggling with mental illness. Those who have experienced it can relate and some just have a personality that lends themselves to helping others mentally. But some people are made for other things.

• @herha Exactly. That's why we have psychologists, Normal people can leads these mental illness friends to disasters. like committing to suicide?
      An expert hands are the key.
      Not a lover not a friend not a pet can..

• no, since mental illness doesn't exist.

• Try telling that to people who have to take medication because they can't speak in front of a crowd without having a panic attack, or someone who takes drugs just to feel secure, or someone who cuts because it's so much easier to forget about your problems when blood is dripping down your arm.

Therapists and counselors exist for a reason, mate. Don't scorn someone who isn't what you perceive as "normal", and please, educate yourself.

• A mental illnesses is a condition that impacts a person's thinking, feeling or mood and may affect his or her ability to relate to others and function on a daily basis"(National Alliance on Mental Illness). Psychiatrists have tests for many types of mental illness. You will never convince me, as I have experienced mental illnesses for myself and have seen the struggles of others that I am close to. Until you experience or see it for yourself, you will probably continue to believe that mental illness does not exist. But sooner or later you will meet someone struggling with a mental illness and realize that it really is real.

• which tests are these? not following the "law" or "social norms"? Not following religion? haha... there are no such tests, it's all made up. I trust cardiology a lot more than psychiatry.

• Definitely not.

• NO, way too much stress

• fuck dating and fuck relationships...

all women are mentally ill

• And men aren't?

• These days yes, because men spend time with women

• You are not making any sense. Mental illness is not only found in women. Men also deal with mental illness because their brain is not functioning properly, not because they spend time with women.