Online dating, what's the point?

In my experience with online dating you usually talk for a few days online, trade phone numbers talk for a few more days and then just fall off the face of the planet without ever meeting in person. What's the point of online dating if you don't actually have any intention of ever meeting anyone in person?

Most Helpful Guy

• That sort of behavior is why I stayed away from free online dating sites.

When I was looking for new relationship after my first marriage ended in divorce, I decided to join eHarmony.
    I chose eHarmony for two reasons:

1) They focused on putting together compatible matches.

2) It was a paid site. That meant that the women I was matched with had to pay too. Money makes many people more serious. Nobody pays $150 just to fuck around.

Anyway, I chose a 1 year membership as that was the best deal and I wanted to commit to the process the eHarmony way.

Seven months later, I was matched with a woman I would one day marry. @GraySailorsBride and I have been happily married for 9 years as of June of this year. I love her as much today as the day we were wed. As far as I'm concerned, our honeymoon phase is still going strong.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a lot of people use it as a way to feel like they have the support and 'love' of someone else, minus all the possible problems, stress, and responsibilities that face to face relationships can bring. Kind of like a more convenient alternative, another way to feel like you belong?

What Guys Said 12

• Well there might be some people that are very serious about it and will follow through. Not everybody stops after the six day

• I guess you have been rather unlucky?
    I know quite a few people who have partners they originally met online.

• I tried it for a bit just to meet new people in my area but never actually met up with anyone

• I'm not really sure. Although, I believe most of it has to do with the fact that a lot of guys on the site are mostly interested in casual sex and I'm not. I just don't understand the point of leading me on in that case.

• hmm, sounds like a nightmare really. =/

• Well that's the people that aren't really looking for anything. Truly commited people will meet up and have a date or two.

• So true, I can't get anyone to talk for more then a few days then they talk to someone else, come back and repeat 3/5 times we go on a date and there like oh you're an amazing guy looking for a relationship and love... But they normally act like the first date is blah and I don't go on another "first impressions"

• I found my current lover on OKCupid. com. We are planning to live together. I think OKCupid has a very good system for meeting compatible people. Zoosk is pretty good, too.

I have heard bad things about some of the most popular sites, like Match. com and eHarmony. com.

• You use it as a means to get to to know the person. If you dont like them you dont meet. what would be the point?

• I never even get that far. Since I'm so ugly, women are more and more visual, I never get a response to messages. I'm living proof that women only care about looks.

• the point in it is to get the girls that always have thier faces on the phone but since I suck at online dating I am just suspecting it

• sounds like you're not meeting the right people

• I don't see any point

• there is no point.

• People I know have had better luck with paid sites. Not just e-harmony, some more fun/dating oriented as well.

I think the free sites have a lot of people who just want to flirt and get attention.

Most people paying a few bucks a month actually want dates.

What Girls Said 7

• Well with my current boyfriend I didn't meet him on a dating website. It was off this online game. We have been in a LDR for over 3 years now. Yes I have dated physically like 12 guys physically. All of them ended before 2 months and weren't that great.

So dating my current boyfriend via Skype video chats. It's made me face things i'm bad at. As in mental issues and not freaking out a lot. I've really improved more than I ever have in my entire life since I met my current boyfriend. Yes we plan to meet up after he graduates college. Having a physical relationship right now for him is impossible with the stress of college. Plus he wouldn't have to worry about keeping me physically happy.

I've only ever dated 1 guy before my current boyfriend that was off the same online game. That one I did meet in person after graduating high school. I drove 12hrs and stayed with him for 2 weeks. My mom said in those 2 weeks I sounded like I was high off of happiness. :D So there wasn't any difference between how he acted in messaging. Though after I felt he felt apart and couldn't do that anymore. Plus leaving to come back really killed me. So that's a huge reason why when I see my current boyfriend physically. I rather it be so I could make it permanent instead of only visiting.

Online dating only works when the 2 people are 100% honest with each other and 100% compatible.

• Also with online dating your forced to talk more and to see what you struggle with in relationships. Physically you can ignore them easier since you don't have to talk and end up just over looking it. Online your facing it all straight on. Plus if you can't make it online then there isn't much of a chance u will make it physically. If your not willing to go through the wait.

• I think some people online date to pass the time and to feel less of an outsider, because they have someone who cares about them etc. Online or not

• Well my soulmate sure as fuck ain't gonna be 5 mins round the corner.

• I agree! There's more options in the world than just in your local area! :]

• I am not sure its sad!

• What's sad? xD

• I disagree, @Mustachekitteh is in a LDR with her boyfriend from Portugal and they webcam/mic chat and they plan to meet. Besides, there's much more choices and options as opposed to just your local area, keeping in mind some people live in the middle of nowhere. As far as I remember, she lives in the countryside (?)

• It's simply another way to find a serious relationship or easy sex.

• I met my fiancĂ© of 2 years on tinder! You have to weed out the bad. I'm so beyond thankful for online dating! Patience patience patience! We talked for a few days and I finally gave him my phone number and we texted for about 3 days and then within the next month we had over 10 dates.

• Also my soon to be brother in law met his wife online also.

• This might totally make no sense, but are you perhaps, a user of Sudomemo? Because I've seen a name similar to that in Sudomemo...