Can you give a guy space and pursue/encourage him at the same time?

My ex and I are still in love and we were trying to get back together, but all of a sudden he freaked out and said it felt too risky and that he was afraid of getting hurt. I said something stupid and he misinterpreted it and I tried to talk to him about it but he avoided me for a week before altogether denying there was any problem. I don't know whether to give him space now or to go all out and prove to him how much he means to me. In the past, I fought for him and it worked... that's what got him to come back to me in the first place. He even told me things I did really touched him and that that's what got him to get back in touch with me. But I don't want to push him away or suffocate him either. I'm not the kind of girl that texts constantly every day or calls incessantly so I'm definitely not talking about stuff like that. It's just that he's the kind of guy that inspires me to take huge risks in a romantic way to show him how much he means to me. To me, he's worth any risk. But I don't want to go too far and overwhelm him. Thoughts?

What Guys Said 1

• Kindly text once or twice a day and never talk about getting back! give him some time to think.. Don't call him often, He needs his space, if he wants you he will come back to you... If he truly loves you! He will certainly get back. Just send 1 message and tell him how much he means to you and give him the time! He will get back to you! all the best!

What Girls Said 1

• You should never have to try to convince someone to be with you. Walk away with dignity.

• I'm not having to convince him to be with me, I just need to prove to him that I do love him and won't hurt him.

• That is your way of trying to convince him that he should give your relationship another chance. He shouldn't have to be convinced, if he doesn't want to be with you, and he hasn't decided that on his own, then have enough self-respect to walk away, and know your worth.