Is this normal in a relationship or am I overreacting?

I have been dating this guy for a month and he was a friend but sorta an accquatiance at the same time before we started dating. We are both 16 by the way. Whenever I pass by him in the hallway he doesn't wave, smile, or do anything he just continues talking to his friend while I'm walking right in front of him. I think I'm overreacting and it's probably normal. He doesn't hug, kiss, or touch me in any way in public. The weird thing is that with his ex he held her hand in public and hugged her from behind. He doesn't do any of that to me but we have been dating for a month. He only dated his ex for a few days tho. And during lunch he sits 3 tables from me and he knows where I sit but doesn't approach me at all which is a bit strange. And I forgot to mention that almost half of his friends are female which I don't know if I should worry about. The only time he touches me is on the bus when he puts his arm around me and kisses me on the cheek then gets up a few minutes later because he doesn't like sitting down apparently. And i don't think his friends know we are dating. Not sure why he hasn't told them. When we wait for the same metro bus he doesn't even introduce me to his friends or anything he just smiles and waves, that's all. Maybe this is normal and I'm overreacting since it's my first relationship. I also set up a date with him but he cancelled since he got in trouble so he couldn't go. I am planning on setting up another one next week, but is this normal in a relationship or am I overreacting?

Most Helpful Girl

• He doesn't have to be all over you at all times, but he should definitely not be basically acting like you don't exist. That's not cool. I'd feel some type of way about it too. It would make me feel like he was ashamed of me. So no, I don't think you're overreacting.

• Why does he act like this? I thought of it as nothing serious and brushed it off.

• I don't know why he's acting that way, but it's not cool. I'd definitely say something to him about it.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 7

• Awww honey I'm sorry. This is definitely not normal and you should dump him ASAP. a boyfriend should be someone who cares about you and wants to show you off to all his friends. Sounds like he's an ass... Lots of 16 year old guys are though. I'm sure it's not you. You could always talk with him about how this makes you feel if you still want to try to work things out but in my opinion, there's no hope for a guy like that until he grows up and/or grows a pair

• What would a good boyfriend normally do if he saw you in public or at a lunch table etc?

• Should I stay as friends with him?

• No. He's an ass.

• This is not normal. If he's your boyfriend, then he should want to spend time with you. Sounds like he is playing you. Sorry for the bad luck, and I hope the next guy is better. You should dump this one.

• Yesterday he broke up with me. He said that he wasn't ready for a relationship and that we should just be friends. He did it on the bus and then after that he didn't even ask if I was okay. He just went back to his friends in the back of the bus and had a good time and was happy. I got off the bus crying. I feel like now I can't trust guys but how would I know if a guy actually respects, cares, and loves me for who I am and isn't trying to get into my pants?

• No guy would want to date me, I'm too shy. And I already tried to approach another guy but he accused me of being a stalker and called me annoying. He ended up blocking me on Instagram and started ignoring me. Never approaching guys again cause I don't want to seem like a desperate creep.

• You are young, and these boys are young. What is considered normal and attractive will change some with age. Don't be too hard on yourself. I know plenty of shy people with happy relationships.

• Your not overreacting. If anything you're under reacting. He's basically acting like he's too embaressed to be seen with you. You should talk to him about it. If he continues, maybe think about dumping him.

• Why do you think he's acting that way?

• Maybe he is embarrassed about the fact that I am quiet and shy.

• I don't know the only way to know for sure is to ask him and talk to him about it

• Dude u guys might as well stay accentuates, because he's not even acting like a friend. Sit him down and explain what you want out of this. Or initiate the PDA

• Sounds like the boyfriend my friend had. He never hanged out with her, he ignored her and talked to other girls before he did her. He just walked home with other girls and said he didn't have time for her but for other girls?

• This is not normal, sounds like he is hiding you, dump him

• If he wants to hide me and doesn't wanna tell everyone that we're dating, then why is he even dating me in the first place?

• Please break up with him! You are not overreacting. He does not care about you at all, ok? You deserve much better.

• If he doesn't care about me then why did he even ask me out in the first place?

• When I met my boyfriend, he was going to school full time and working 2 part-time jobs. He had barely any time for me outside of the class we shared. But that was enough for me to know I wanted to be with him. And honestly, the majority of everyone in college works and goes to school, so people (potential partners) won't care if you have little time to spare.

• Plus in college, you pick when you want to take your classes. So you can make that work around your job and ideally, you can have a schedule that allows you down time.