What does a girl mean when she states that she has a boyfriend?

Hey there, I've asked out a girl and told her to have a drink with me.

She replied that she can't because she has a boyfriend.

Does it mean that if she didn't have a boyfriend will she gave me the chance to show my value?

Thank you, I'd like to know if it is more a rejection or simply it is the bad timing.

Thanks for your replies all !

I forgot to add that also the next day she sat next to me in science class, which usually she doesn't on her own. I was and still a little confused about the current situation.
Mainly because it is the first time in my past 23 years of existence that I ask out a girl lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was sitting here analyzing this situation and then it hit me. The fact that she told you that she has a boyfriend is a red flag in itself. She's saying she either is in a committed relationship already and you can't pursue her, or she's making it up completely to send you a message that you can't pursue her. So either way, and trust me, I know myself from experience how hard it is to move on from someone you really like, but I think you'll be wasting your time. Even if she made the boyfriend up and is slightly interested due to what she did in science class and with the playful punches (because to me that sounds a little flirty), her mind games aren't worth analyzing and frankly quite strange. If you like someone, you're going to want to go out with them. Unless maybe she doesn't like drinking or something, but still. I'd move on. You can choose to be just friends though and maybe that will be rewarding, but I suggest moving on from your feelings for her is key if you want to be happy in the long run.

• Thank you for your well-developed reply. All what you've said there makes really sense, and thus I'll try to follow your advice. I know that it won't be simple, as you said but I have to move on in a way or another otherwise it's gonna hurt more than it hurts actually.

• No problem at all! Glad I could help. I know how you feel though. I'm trying to get over someone myself and it's hard.

Most Helpful Guy

• Is probably a bad timing. She is probably a very loyal person, and has a lot of respect for her partner thats why she didn't acept the drink. And is weather she would said yes or no if she wasn't in a relationship.

• Well, I hope that you are right.:)

What Girls Said 11

• It's hard to say because I'd imagine she wouldn't even be thinking like that because she has a boyfriend. I know when I was with my ex and a guy asked me out I straight away said no I have a boyfriend but I never thought about if I didn't have a boyfriend would I have said yes, if you know what I mean?

• I know what you mean, I guess that every girl sees things differently.

• Sometimes we lie because if we say we're not interested, the guy will keep pursuing. Saying we have a boyfriend will stop the advances. It used to be instantly effective, but not so much anymore. Sadly, now they say stupid things like "I don't mind sharing" or "he doesn't have to know" or even "I don't mind being your side nigga".

• I understand, I'll not ask her out again. However, can you explain to me why the day after that I asked her out she sat right next to me in science class? I'm a little confused about it.

• Pretty much it means she does have a boyfriend and she was respecting her man. Whether or not she would have given you a chance had she not had a boyfriend, is hard to decode. With this one I think it's safe to say that you can look elsewhere or decide to be her friend.

• It's not bad to gain one friend, as long as it is not a fake one. Nothing to loose, so I'll move on and make her part of my circle of friends I guess.

• it means she thinks u like her

• In order to ask her out, she definitely know that I like her. Otherwise, I wouldn't invite her for a drink lol.

• hahah Oh O: I am such a idiot! lol I guess it means no! If it were me I would tell him str8 up!

• Hehe no worries :)

• No we say that because if we just say no guys usually keep asking.

• Oh I see, thanks for being honest. Well, I'll move on.

• It is a rejection. Plain and simple you do not even know if she has a boyfriend it is a way to brush you off my suggestion to you – MoveOn

• You are right on this point, I do not know if she really has a boyfriend. However, the next day that I've asked her out she sat next to me in science class, and we kind of discussed. At a point, because I was teasing her she pinched my arm lol. Don't know what to think anymore, I'll probably move on.

• That means that she's not interested because she already has someone.

• Well, I hope that you are right.

• It means no. :p

• Well, a simple no is not bad at all. At least, I've tried ;)

• Sounds like she has a boyfriend. What is there to explain?

• I was trying to understand if people say that to tell a lie or they were being honest by telling it. Either way, I got my answer now.

• No it means she doesn't want to have drinks with you at all. Even if she didn't have a boyfriend she doesn't go out with you lool. When a girl says they have a boyfriend, she is saying she is off limits and not interested AT ALL

• On the update: You're overanalyzing the situation. Unless she flirts with you and gets touchy she doesn't want you to flirt back. Also she has a boyfriend so you shouldn't flirt with her anyways...

• Yesterday, she sat next to me in science class and she also pinched me. I don't know what to think at this point. I'll move on for sure.

• Rejection. Sorry dude.

What Guys Said 8

• It can mean one of these three things:-

1) She actually has a boyfriend, and might have given you a chance if she didn't.
    2) She has a boyfriend, but doesn't really think about giving you a chance or not, because there's no point in it (since she's taken).
    3) She's single, but is not attracted to you. So she's letting you down gently by lying about having a boyfriend.

• Well I've tried to find which one is the most accurate so I could know what to do next ;)

• You can try doing that. But it's not wise to invest so much in someone when you're not even in a relationship with them. Believe me, I have been in your situation, and it hurts like hell. Unable to stay, unable to move on. :(

• Oh I see, well I don't know what to do. I can not easily move on to be honest :(

• It meant one of two things: either she really had a boyfriend and didn't want to lead you on, instead letting you know from the get go that she's taken. Or it was just an attempt of hers to dis you off as quickly as possible.

• You're probably right, we can not really know what passes through her mind. If only girls can be more honest by telling that she doesn't want to go out with you, or she eventually truly have a boyfriend it will be simple for us.

• That's true but unfortunately many men are unable to take a no for an answer and thus women have no choice but to use the easiest way out.

• It makes sense.

• Bro it happend with me aswell... the girl asked me out i refused... and after 2 weeks i asked her out but she refused... do u know why?
    Because in those 2 weeks... some other guy made his moves... and she got attracted to him and told me that she has a boyfriend...
    it is basically her rejecting u in a polite way... dont take it to hear... move on to next girl bro :)

• I'll move on probably, as you advise to do so.

• Sometimes girls say that so you'll leave them alone so a more attractive guy can come talk to them or sometimes they really do have a boyfriend

• She thinks the only reason you asked her to get a drink is because you wanted to be her boyfriend because there's no other good reason.

• Well, I invited her for a drink in order to know her better. It is considered to be a date, and eventually if things go well between us I'd have asked her to be my girlfriend.

• IT DOESN"T MATTER. She may have a boyfriend. She may not have a boyfriend. But one thing is certain: she does not want to go out with you right now. Don't ask her again, even if she breaks up with the boyfriend. She's knows you are interested; if she wants to go out with you she'll let you know. In the meantime go ask another girl.

• Thank you for your response.
      You are totally right on this one, I'll move on and see where I'll end up.

• by the way, the secret to dating beautiful women is simple. You have to ask them out. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

• I'll keep in mind this advice since it will be helpful in my situation, thanks.

• Classic way to discourage and stop you in your tracks

• I'll probably move on, since she's not interested.

• It depends. Some may actually have a boyfriend but some may not. Continue to talk for a bit like 5ish minutes and she may change her mind. It could be she just was not interested at first but if you can show you have got a great personality it may just trigger something.

• We will see where it goes from now and on.