What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Love Was an A. I?

I saw the movie Ex Machina recently and started thinking that once the technology gets there a lot of people will opt for someone who physically and emotionally looks exactly the way they want to--only knowing that this person is essentially a fake person from the outset would block you from ever falling for them.

Yet, if you fell for someone and then found out they were built would you still have feelings for them or could you only look at them as robots even though hypotethically they are capable of real emotions and real consciousness

What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Love Was an A.I.?

Most Helpful Girl

• ex machina fucked with my head so bad. i wanted to throw that bitch off a cliff. i don't think i've ever left a movie feeling that angry.

to answer your question, i'd convince myself that it's all manufactured and get over it. i'm not going to love something that knows exactly how to manipulate (and destroy) me. there's nothing real there. no real joy or connection. no turbulence.

• i think guys would be into this though. sex doll + someone who will give them whatever they want intellectually? paradise right?

• lol i like it

• lol thanks :p

Most Helpful Guy

• As a computer engineering major and a huge fan of coding and all things sci fi this stuff holds a special place in my heart. Strong artificial intelligence is such an intense philosophical subject to discuss. What does it mean to have consciousness? What does it mean to be human? Is human something we should even strive to replicating? If we did succeed in creating them then that would redefine everything we hold dear: religion, sense of self, morality, what it means to feel inferior from a physical standpoint which would lead to humility, AI rights would probably come later. We would have to get comfortable sharing this planet with other intelligent beings to avoid conflict. You just know humans would be fearful and judgmental because we hate everything we don't understand.

I think it would force us to grow up quickly and take an intense look at ourselves and things like gender equality.

• Someone just brought to my attention the concept of a soul which is something I don't even think about. That would probably go under the religion subject I mentioned.

• how far away is all of this if you believe it's possible?

• If it's even possible I would just say not in our lifetimes. We don't even know where our consciousness comes from never mind replicating it in a machine. Unless some genius coder stumbles upon it by accident.

What Girls Said 2

• wow... cool! we could play video games all day!

• I doubt much would change for you. Women are only for sex and procreation right? Isn't that the line that ROK is peddling these days?

• LMAO. He can't get a break.

• You've lost it...

• Yeah, and a woman having tattoos means she has casual sex and you can fuck her at random.

What Guys Said 4

• I assume you are talking about A. I. without real emotion but only acts like they have emotion. If the A. I. is conviencing enough people will easily be able to fall in love with it. People form emotionals attachments to animals, that have no feelings for the owner all the time. Sometimes they even grow to love an inatimate object, such as a child that cries because they dropped their teddy bear and feel bad about mistreating it. People like to think we are advanced logical beings, but the truth is we are just animals reacting to stimulas.

If you are talking about an A. I. with real emotion, then they wouldn't be interested in us anyway since they would be virtually perfect compared, to a highly flawed human.

• No, no way, I will always opt for a real live person, not some machine that thinks it's human sure a machine could express the illusion of the same feelings as a human but they would never be genuine how could it be? they don't have a heart, a soul anything that would make sure human except the appearance.

• If I found myself in that situation I'd be shocked and would need a little bit to think. In all honesty though they would be their own independent being like we are. I believe I would remain with them and who knows, by that time I may be in the process of having cybernetic implants done.

• I'd kill it duh. You say you seen the movie so you understand.

• yeah but most of the guys on this site are the kid from it who was like but... we can go away together!

• Yeah probably.