Why is it so bad to be blunt? I thought people hated liars?

People constantly say they hate liars, yet when someone is honest with them they get sad, butt hurt, or angry (or all of above). Say a girl is out and a man wants to talk to her. The girl tells him straight out, that she doesn't want to speak to him. how do you think he will feel? Also goes with girls who don't understand when a man wants to break up with them. Most people don't like the truth. It's actually sad to me. I'm a very blunt person, maybe too blunt. A lot of people see me as mean, but to me I'm just honest. If I don't want to talk to someone, I will tell them to their face. If someone asks if they're fat, I tell them they're if that's the case. People just want lies told to them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people seem to wear their feelings on their sleeves , and are super sensitive. I am much like you I tend to tell it like it is , despite popular demand. I have been accused before of speaking before I think , non sence ; I spoke exactly what I thought ; it just wasn't received well , but I stated what I felt was the truth. I too am dumbfounded at the number of people that demand they be told the truth , yet when they get what they ask for are like I can't believe you said that or that's how you feel. I would much rather have my feelings hurt with the truth than have my ears tickled with a lie. If someone hurts my feeling by telling me the truth , it will hurt for a while obviously ; but I know I can trust that persons word ; we all know what we would feel towards the ear tickler

Most Helpful Girl

• For the most part, I agree with you. I am brutally honest when it comes to most things. However, there are exceptions, as there are with everything. In the example you gave, both people were totally justified in being honest and it's the recipients fault if they don't like the truth. People who are blunt like you and I usually tend to be more confident, emotionally stable people, and what we have to come to realize is that a lot of other people rely on the words of others for self-confidence. So, say a friend dyed her hair and you hate it but the damage is done. If she asks, "what do you think?" I'm going to say I think it's nice not out of fear of being mean but out of fear of taking a stab at her self-esteem. On the other hand, if she asked, "hey should I dye my hair purple?" And it's a matter of opinion I'd be like hell no don't do it what's wrong with you

What Guys Said 6

• You can tell the truth without being blunt.

a lot of people use being blunt as a cover up for being a mean-sprited, toxic asshole.
    They say they are only telling it how it is, but they are really telling it how they want to suit their self-absorbed arrogance.

• It is a question of tact.

• Because a lot of people are hypersensitive pussies who can't handle the harsh truth since they are used to hear coddling words directed towards them.

I think it is like a patch. You can rip it off short and painful or very slowly pull it the hard way.

• Well I'm going to be 'Blunt' people are hypocrites. They want an honest Man/Woman but can't handle the truth... They want equality but you must still pay the bill... You want everyone to respect your beliefs but you trample on others beliefs.

People are hypocrites.
    If we had 'real' tolerance there'd be no wars.

• Blunt just means you lack tact, you can be honest without being rude. It's when people sugarcoat it to the point you can't tell what their saying that's a problem.

• Its knowing when to say it that people get confused by. Its simply all trial and error.

What Girls Said 11

• You have to determine if there is a purpose for being honest, like calling someone fat? What's the reason? If it's going to cause an upset, and there's no consequence if you don't call them fat, then think about how it's not beneficial for you to say it.

• You don't need to be blunt to tell the truth. You just have to carefully filter what you say so that you tell the truth, but do so in a tasteful, not very rude manner.

• There's a huge difference between being brutally honest & tactfully honest. Some people are vulnerable and are defined in a negative way by other people's thoughtless words.

Usually people use the word "fat" to insult people. It's often used in a derogatory way. There's plenty of words in a Thesaurus to replace the word "fat".. which isn't so insulting, but is still honest

• There is a classic book, "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie that can teach you everything you need to know. You can be honest and kind at the same time.

• You can be honest without being rude. If someone asks you if they are fat you don't have to say, " yes you are ". You could say, " well, it's more important how you feel about yourself and if you want help losing weight I support you ".

There is no reason to be unnecessarily rude while giving your honest opinion. ( not saying you are like that ).

• I think its all in the way you say it. I like bluntness. However, I also believe there is a time and place for BRUTAL honesty. Its all in the way you speak to people. If you come off as a snob while being "blunt" than chances are you will look like a bitch. There's a difference between being an asshole and being honest. Though it is a very fine line.

• It's not bad it's just that most people are sensitive, defensive, and insecure. So no matter what you say or how it can come off like an attack.

• Because there's so many sensitive bitches on this planet.

• It's like you can't win for losing.

• People can't handle the raw truth.

• Being direct and honest with people is good. I believe though, that the way it's delivered matters. There is a fine line between being blunt and being mean.

Some people are more sensitive than others. I do tell them the truth, but I try not to hurt their feelings. Others really appreciate brutal honesty.