How long did you wait to move in with your significant other?

I'm getting ready to move in with my boyfriend of five months some people are telling me it's irresponsible, my relationship is doomed etc etc. So I'm wondering if maybe it's true... How long did you all wait and did everything workout? What was the biggest downfall.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• We moved in at around 11 months, but he asked me to move in after only one month lol (we just had to wait for my lease to end). We're doing well!

Biggest downfall: Our conflicting sleep schedules. He's a night owl and I'm a morning bird.

• See that's us also! Haha because I get up early for work he doesn't but when I stay over he lays with me until I fall asleep. We spend like 6 nights a week together so I don't really want to pay double rent

• Sounds like you guys are ready for it :)

What Guys Said 2

• with my now wife we waited just over a year to move in together. i don't think it's irresponsible. i actually think it's smart to see if two people can cohabitate before taking the leap of marriage.

the biggest downfall? not much of any except a little loss of independence.

• Awesome! That's kind of what I'm thinking!
      I would rather know now then wait and realize I wasted so much time!

• that's how i feel. it is becoming more and more the norm... i mean you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. you don't eat a soup without taking a small sip to see if it's seasoned well. obviously relationships are different than cars or food but i think it's a similarly intelligent thing to do if you don't have any opposition to living with a partner out of wedlock... which i don't

• Both my previous relationships never lasted long enough for me to consider moving in.

• How long were they?

• 1st one lasted 6 months, and the 2nd one (which was a rebound) lasted just 2 months.

What Girls Said 7

• After a year or so. Personally, I know as you get older it can be faster as expenses are a huge burden, so it's easier to move in to also save money. But also it can ruin your relationship if you're going to fast. However some relationships who move fast do work out, just not as likely.

• Makes sense we spend 6 days a week together and live 2 hours apart so not only financially but time wise it's a lot.

• See that's what I worry about I'm one of those people who would rather try and find out before I waste too much time. I would rather fall then wait too long then try and then fall.

• Well then go for it! Because yes you will find out things about him that piss you off, or bug you but then they might turn into things you think are cute. We get to see the real side of someone when we're around them 24 7!

• It's very fast, but it sounds from other comments like the burdens of time and distance could become as damaging as being together 24/7 ever could. I hope it goes well; good luck!

• It's always healthy to learn what it is like to live together. I've heard of people who met on vacation and decided to get married while still on the SAME vacation. Just remember to give each other some free time too, bumping into each other all the time may seem like to much to handle at first.

• 4 months. It was when I was 18 and I'm still with him at 21. Only downfall was him being messy and his friends coming over and being messy. Don't listen to people who tell you what's right and wrong in a relationship. If it feels like the right decision for you then go for it 🙂 Only you know what's best for you.

• We waited almost 2 years.
    But, we were also long distance.

• Never rush into moving in together

• I waited until 3 years in. We're doing fine but I feel it would not have worked earlier. You should wait a while longer.

• Thanks for the advice. I personally feel like if you don't know within a year I wouldn't want to be with that person. I'm considering waiting but I already know I want to be with him.