Opposites attract. Does it work?

It's a famous saying. I used to be completely against it. But I've been dating this guy who is super outgoing, not afraid to be himself, very forward, and I'm the opposite. I'm really shy, reserved, and self conscious. But when I'm with him, it's like he brings me up. Like him being so affectionate makes me affectionate, something I'd typically be too shy to be with a guy I'd only recently started seeing. But I used to (kind of) date this guy who was pretty much me. He was shy, yet had the same exact humor as me. We got along great, but we were both too shy to initiate anything and it fizzeled out.

Let's say a perfect balance is out of the picture, is it better to be very similar, or very different?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it 'might' work but it certainly isn't for everyone

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer guys who are similar. I really do. I've seen too many people fight and break up cause they want different things out of life. Different personalities means compromising and often give and take. If you have 2 people with similar life outlooks and interests then it just makes things easier. In the relationships that I've been in where we were similar it was always much more peaceful and relaxing. However with my last ex who I loved a lot it went more difficult cause we were different. That was what ultimately what led to him leaving me. Our personalities clashed and he didn't understand me just like I didn't understand him.

• I see what you mean. For example the guy I'm currently seeing has discussed taking off a year of school which really turns me off, but the other guy has his goals straight and is getting an engineering degree, which is much more attractive to me. Yet, I felt like I was too similar to the latter guy, we never ran out of things to talk about but our relationship also never progressed because we were both too afraid.

What Guys Said 1

• It's a mix. Opposite attracts but also same feathers flock alike. It is about being on the same wavelength, but still having individual and gender differences which complement each other.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it makes a nice balance, kind of a yin and yang thing.

• I think either works... If you guys get along well.

I prefer someone with similar views, but ended up liking the opposite.

• I've honestly started seeing someone where we have a similar opposites attract style, towards our own personalities, so... I certainly hope that there's some truth behind it. :)