Are dating sites a good idea?

I'm seriously considering breaking up with my boyfriend, but as I think about that I also find myself thinking about where I would meet other guys. I've thought about clubs on campus and just hanging out with my friend in her coed dorm more often (I live with my parents still 😞), but the idea of dating sites has also occurred to me. I know a lot of people on dating sites just want hook-ups though and that's not my style. I would be looking for someone interested in a long, steady relationship who can see kids in their future (part of the reason I'm considering this breakup is because my boyfriend doesn't want kids ever) but can also see adventure even after kids. Would dating sites work as a place to go for that kind of relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• If your rebound options are what's keeping you together with your boyfriend, you need to end that relationship quickly.

Dating sites work; you just have to make sure you do your due diligence during the vetting process. I've hooked up and had serious relationships with various women I've met online.

• Nah, I'm mostly staying with him because I want to see if we can work things out first. I feel like we may just be entering the power struggle stage of our relationship and I don't want to run from a challenge without at least attempting to overcome it first. That being said, I'm always thinking of backup plans in case things don't work.
      What do you consider to be "due diligence?"

• Basically make sure they're not a fuckboy, that stuff is running rampant. I've heard my fair share of horror stories; with all that accessibility, douchebags don't have the same restraint they would if you were meeting them in person.

• Yeah, Aziz Ansari talks about that a bit in his book. He says that with all the options online dating provides us with, people become overwhelmed by them and less likely to dedicate to one because they're always looking for someone who might be better.

Most Helpful Girl

• No I don't know any good ones!

What Guys Said 2

• They work for women.

• But not for men? Wouldn't that mean they don't work for anyone using the site?

• I mean, there's more men than there is women, so you're bound to catch something.

• Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

• OkCupid and Plenty of Fish are good.
    I've been on them for 6 months and not even a date. Losing faith, haha. 😂

• Haha no offense, but that's hardy assuring.

• Exactly, and not all women there are looking for one either =) I don't know. Just a suggestion.

• Tbh, I don't know many girls that are into one night stands. It's guys who want that lmao 😂
      All I want is someone to call mine lmao

What Girls Said 0