Why do guys tell girls that they are jerks?

I've noticed a pattern where guys that seem attracted to me will start saying super negative things about themselves after a while- ("I'm a terrible person"; "I'm a liar"; "I've done awful things", etc.) and then either eventually be rude to me or ignore me, basically ending any sort of relationship. Why do they do this? Were they never that interested/trying to back out or is there something else going on? I'm often pegged as the "nice girl", does that have something to do with it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe they think girls are more likely to sleep with jerks and are hoping that by self-identifying as an asshole, it will get them laid.

:/

Most Helpful Girl

• By making themselves look bad from the start, you can't blame them once they show their real faces. If you accuse them of being insensitive later on, they'll tell you they warned you in the beginning and you proceeded to have some kind of relationship with them despite their initial warning. So all the blame is taken from them and you are the sole person to blame for your unhappiness. My advice is to steer clear of these type of guys.

What Guys Said 3

• Perhaps because they feel guilty about what they did and want to share it with someone? It's very common if you think about it.

• Because they are terrible liars who do awful things?

• They're hoping you'll agree and break up with them so they don't have to do it

What Girls Said 1

• I'd say these guys are to be avoided. They do that to use you and once they hurt you they can say "I told you I was terrible since the start, it's your fault."

• lol well technically it is your fault if they warned you and you dated them anyways

• is it the tone they use?

• @Bandit74 Yeah, or in their manners. They make the girls feel special perhaps, for some time :D.