Girls, Do you find it distasteful for a guy to use a gym photo of himself, as his avatar on a dating site?

On dating sites I use a gym photo of myself as my avatar, with the strategy to let girls know right off that bat that I work out (I have various photos on my page as well that various venues).

Is this a good idea or a bad idea to use this type of avatar picture?

• a guy on a dating site with a gym photo of himself as an avatar, is a turn ON (it's good that he works out, etc.)
    13% (14)
  • a guy on a dating site with a gym photo of himself as an avatar, is a turn OFF (self-absorbed, douchebag, bland/typical, etc.)
    49% (51)
  • i'm indifferent to guys that use a gym photo of himself as an avatar / it depends on his other photos on his profile
    38% (39)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

25

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean... I use gym photos of myself as profile pictures (ex: my cover photo currently) but I don't go on dating sites. In any case, it'd be dumb of me to rule them in poor taste when I use them myself, no?

What Girls Said 24

• eh from the week or two when I had Tinder purely to see what all the hype was about... I wasn't too keen at all on profiles where the only or first profile picture was focused more on the guy's forearms, abs, chest, etc. than his face or something he enjoys doing with his spare time.

I'm definitely someone who can understand that working out and staying fit can be a genuine interest of someone's and is important to them. However, if you're going to broadcast the results of said workouts to potential suitors... that tells me that the gainz you get are in your top priorities. Might make me lump you into the meathead category. I'm probably not making much sense here but... yeah, put a picture of yourself smiling, joking around or whatever, in a gym or while biking. But show me more than some man meat, y'know?

It's sort of how you might be a boob-man, but I doubt a girl on a dating site who had an obvious cleavage shot as her profile picture would get much serious interest out of you if you're looking for more than a ONS. Show a pic that includes that yes, you enjoy working out and fitness in general, but has a bit more substance to it.

• i wouldn't mind. i don't get why people find it off putting. i chose indifferent though because gym life is just something I'm familiar with, but i don't let it consume my thoughts and impressions of someone.

for example, there's a user about that fitness life who is actually an incredibly smart man also, and wishes he were appreciated more for that. ladies gotta b able to look past the photo and c what else he brings to the table.

• I wrote an article about this subject, and it outlines what we're looking for on dating sites, and what is an instant turn-off (in your photo)! @ getresurgatized.com/.../

• Working out is great. But if it seems like a guy bases his whole identity on his gym routine, that's a turn off for me. Photos that show him exercising, at the gym, or shirtless can all come off as vain or overly obsessed with fitness. Also, don't post pictures that were taken in the bathroom. I don't need to see you and a toilet at the same time until after I actually know you.

• No not distasteful, it just gives me an insight on his interests and lifestyle, it's cool!

• Ehh, depends. Being healthy and having a nice body is great but if you are just showing off it comes off as narsisstic, muscle head, gym rat, health freak, and just generally douchebag-y. Of course it's fine for a ONS.

If you wanted to show off your abs get a pic with you and a friend at the beach so it doesn't just look like you are showing off but that you are just having fun at the beach with a friend.

• It's just a pic of me all sweaty after the gym from the waist up (with a shirt on). Nothing too crazy!

• That is ok then I guess.

• I wouldn't assume any negative traits about a guy using such a pic (it's absolutely stupid to do that). But I do like it because it helps me see his body.

• I'd definitely go with the second option. Just looking at Pavlove's profile on here makes me feel a bit queasy, if I took a photo of me with my tits out I'd be called desperate and cheap, I think the same of men who do this.

• im indifferent, but it just depends on the pic. i might honestly find it intimidating. i dont assume all workout buffs are meatheads, arrogant, etc, but I do unintentionally assume them to be intense about lifestyle, diet, and very calculated in how they like things. This is just from personal experience. I would recommend doing a profile pic as just a normal snap of yourself and then the description can include working out being important to you. just my honest thoughts

• I don't mind. It isn't a turn off to me. But based off what some girls have said what they're initial thought is of a guy who post a gym photo as the main avatar it would be safe to use a head shot as the main avatar and place the gym photo in the photo gallery on your page.

• Honestly my first impression of those are that the guy is looking for a hookup or shallow person. It also makes me think they are very superficial and that looks are all they care about. Which obviously is not accurate for everyone but that's where my mind goes initially, so unless there profile has other pics or info to make me think otherwise then that's how I feel

• My gut reaction is B, whether that's right or wrong.

• I don't care about the photo itself that much, but the fact that he has it usually means that he is the things you've mentioned and THAT is the turn off. In the end, when looking for a guy you have to start the screening process somehow. And people tend to make generalizations, so even if you are a nice guy, you have a freaky gym photo and I might not give your profile a second look.

Hope this helps

• I'd be indifferent. It could tell me that he is self absorbed or that he loves to work out... as do I so it could be something in common.

• Gym and bathroom photos = girls turned off

• It's nice to know you work out but shirtless is too much in my opinion.

• It's a turn on only if the guy is hot

• Depends on the photo. Not totally turn off. But not a turn on for me either.

• Well just to clarify, when I see a your picture like that, I assume that many girls are already hitting you up and i tend to shy away from promiscuous men

• Makes no difference to me. Gives a little insight of what your interests are. And that's the purpose of dating sites, right? And if you're getting interest it must be working.

• I mean if you work hard at your body and are proud it's not distasteful us chubby chicks say that cause we're bitter and angry, probably on a sugar crash from all the Hagen dass flex on buddy

• if you're showing off a bicep or something it looks cocky, I'm not into it because I would rather see a guy who shows his fun-loving side in his profile pic

• It somehow seems less douche bagish if a guy has someone else take a photo of him at the beach with a friend or someone tbh

• It doesn't bother me if that is what he chose to use. I don't know him and can't judge just based on a picture. Well, there are of course exceptions, like if other things were in the photos that were... not right lol. But gym photo is fine.