Can people fall in love online and make relationship last?

I met a guy three days ago and I like him. I have never dated anyone in real life before and not even virtually. I told him I like him and he said he likes me too he just needs time to say I love you to me. I really want to be in a relationship with him. We live in different countries. We both are 17.

Most Helpful Guy

• People fall in love online all the time. In my opinion it's perfectly legit. Whether it can work out is a whole different matter. It can't continue indefinitely online. It must eventually be in person, and not just a quick meeting. Eventually one person must move.

I think with the internet, many young people don't realize just how freaking big the world is. They see this person and fall in live with them, but the distances are vast, so vast that they can't be comprehended. There are also legal issues, immigration laws, money issues, etc. The cost of going for a short visit might be prohibitive. You can't just move to another country either. They might not even let you go visit, let alone move there.

Even for someone older who has better financial and other means, getting together is not easy. For someone young, it might be completely unattainable.

I've listed a lot of problems. I don't mean to be so negative about it. I don't mean you should give up on someone you like. I say it so you understand the reality. All of those things can be overcome, and often are. But you need to understand what you are getting into.

There's another big one I haven't mentioned. If you met in person you might not click. The chemistry you have online might not be there.

My own advice is that if you think you care for someone, great, go for it. But I also think you need to watch the amount of time and emotions you put into it. There needs to be some real progress toward an in-person relationship within a reasonable amount of time. It has to move forward, not reach a certain point, but progress no further because of distance.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe you can however you should be careful the Internet is really dangerous and not everybody is who they say they are. However you never really know how something could turn out. I met my husband online, we chit chatted but I thought he was an ass. We eventually went out for pie and 2 weeks later were engaged and 2 months after meeting we were married. Love at first sight. So yeah I believe it can work. But not every story is like mine. There's good and bad people. Honestly the best you can do is be careful, don't make quick decisions like saving money to see him in a country you don't know and stay in places you don't know without a travel buddy or people knowing where you are. You will never really know how things will work unless you meet. But in the end just believe that if it's ment to be it will be. But anything forced will only end in heartbreak. Best of luck to you both! (:

What Guys Said 12

• This is highly controversial. It used to be pen pals. Then there's the prison romances. I know from being a pen pal that yes you do get to know the person without any other thing like looks or whatever clouding things. But the reality is physical contact really is needed and a persons mannerisms also matter. So unless you have a solid plan to be together then no I don't think it will work for romance but would as strictly friends

• Its something to look forward to but you still have to brace for a potential disappointment... it does happen in online relationships more often than not.

• No, virtual dating is stupid i can understand flirting, but dating is just stupid unless you actually know each other from real life or live close to each other, but otherwise you will most likely never meet this person, you don't really know shit about him, because he can be lying to you and for fuck sake's you met him 3 days ago and you are talking about love? don't be a dumb ass, love does not happen over 3 days... and Skype sex does not really work out...

• Sounds like some well hung dude made you promises online but e didn't follow up so now you're pissed at the whole idea.

• And just because you love your "girlfriend" who is actually a guy in real life, does not mean he loves you back... so. yea.

• Ignore chitown1234 he's a troll

• Yes I have fallen in love online before. It didn't work out though. The thing about online/LDR is that you need to video chat and talk a looooot. You need to put a lot of effort in the relationship

• Yes. It can happen. What do you think? @beautiful_secret_

• not right now.. but in 5-10 years w/ the aid of the occulus rift... and tough/sensation.

yup.

• Online "couples" are pretty pathetic. You can't even be sure he's real.

• Never tried it

• Maybe, who knows?
    Might be hard though.

• Infatuation...

• I think it's possible but serrious after just 3 days?

• yesssssssssssssssssssssss

What Girls Said 14

• some people can fall in love online and make it last, yes. i personally can't. i can develop feelings online, but falling in love would take a face to face interaction. i think u guys really need to just take your time, especially at 17 where either of u could potentially just get over it after sometime.

my advice is to slow down, talk often, trust each other, respect each other, and work towards a goal of seeing each other someday. if at any time u feel u can't do it, let him know. never lead a guy on, that's so harsh.

• Personally, I don't think so. When you fall in love online you are just in love with an illusion, because you build an image of what they are like as a person, and how your life could be together. When two people do eventually meet or they get to know each other more... their illusion becomes shattered, because they turn out to be someone different from the person they initially thought they were.

Long- distance relationships usually cause insecurities and trust issues. A lot of sacrifices and effort need to be put into the relationship for it to survive.

It Isn't impossibly to make online relationships work , but it's rare they survive 💛😊

• This one is difficult question because it has so many possible outcomes. I think it's easier to have an online relationship if you never intend on meeting the person... or moreso, know that it will be very difficult/slim chance of meeting face to face. I never intended to have an online romance, but I started talking to a guy who lived upstate and after a lot of late night messages we exchanged numbers. We spoke on the phone sometimes, but mostly we just made each other laugh throughout our days through text videos and messages. He was a very profound companion in my life that year. I think we can have relationships of all nature, and if this person makes your life happier then i think it's okay to explore that.

• Yes I know 3 online couples on gag! !

• 3 days..

You're going too far. Take it slow, you can't say I love you after 3 days without scaring someone.

It's possible, but difficult.

• I don't know... I'm actually crushing on someone I met online and we mutually like each-other but we're just staying friends atm because who knows, we might never meet IRL...

• Short answer NOPE.

Long answer a relationship that's long distance and is restricted to the internet could never last. At some point he's going to want someone he can actually touch and you will too. Also what if you find someone you like just as much in real life? Are you just going to turn that person down and say you have a boyfriend just for a guy you most likely will either never meet or won't meet for a long time?

• Its just a crush.. you're both in that all time crushing phase of your life..

• nope. you need to get to know each other in real life. too easy to hide stuff

• It's not love if you only met him three days ago

• Oh sure the relationship will last maybe even 6 weeks

• No I do not believe that people can fall in love with someone they have never met, sorry. How do you even know what he really looks like or if he even says he is the person he is? You just met him 3 days ago and you are already talking about love

• love is when you feel so strongly for someone else that you sacrifice your happiness and theirs for their well being. i dont think a guy can earn those feelings after 3 days. i think its possible for you to date. but i personally need a physical boyfriend.

• 3 days wtf. Girl slow down...