Why do guys think that most girls prefer skinny guys?

I'm a small girl, but I'm not attracted to a guy who is tiny like me. Most of my friends aren't attracted to small/really slim guys either. We like big guys, guys with some meat on them. I don't like steroid bodybuilders, but I like a guy with a healthy proportion of muscle and fat, not ripped up, but not lardy.

Most of my male friends have admitted that they're trying to lose weight, and none of them are fat at all. If anything most of them need to gain weight. Why do guys think that girls want to be with ultra skinny guys? Most of us don't find guys who wear smaller jeans than us to be attractive. We want men with size who seem masculine and strong. A guy doesn't have to be really tall or anything, but he can't be so tiny he can wear my clothes.

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem is that a lot of guys are clueless about what girls really want. They actually apply their standards for what's attractive in girls and believe that girls find the same features attractive in guys. That's why there are so many guys who suck up to girls trying to be nice. It's also why guys try so hard to get skinny, because they think that since they're attracted to skinny girls, girls must be attracted to skinny guys. It's a false equivalency, and it's why so many guys can't get dates.

What Guys Said 13

• Skinny guy here. I (and many others) tend to be attracted to body types I admire/wish I had. I'm attracted to athletic, flat out muscular women because, in a way, they have the body that I want. My girlfriend is the same. She is tall and a little overweight. She likes skinny guys because that is the type of body she wants to have for herself. Not always that simple, but I have seen it a lot. You seem to have it too where you are small, but are attracted to bigger guys.

Also, I think generally men are getting more feminised by society. Feminine men are being encouraged, women have more power in the world. It's no surprise that fewer men feel the need to be these big muscle men.

• You're right, I am a small girl attracted to bigger guys. The whole point of me posting this was to put it out there that skinnier is not superior to heavier when it comes to guys. I have really skinny guy friends who trying to get even skinnier because they think that will make them more attractive. Then they wonder why I date guys who aren't skinny, like they think they're superior to guys who are bigger and have some fat on him. It doesn't work that way with girls. We don't see skinnier as being better the way most guys do.

• A man whose body mass index is 22 is skinny according to girls, while he is at normal weight. I dont think there is any man who try to get under the bmi of 18.5.

• Because most guys today are feminized little bitches who don't understand girls. Guys see pictures in fashion media/advertising, most of which is controlled by gay men, and they believe that thinness is what women prefer.

• Yes, I noticed that a lot of fashion is geared toward skinny jeans and slim fit t-shirts. Neither are attractive looks on guys.

• I've never been lead to believe girls like skinny guys. I've always thought that girls would rather date a chubby guy over a skrawny guy.

• Because your preference is not universal.

• I for one want to lose weight and build some muscle mainly for myself, and less because I want to attract women.

• That's great! Feeling great about yourself is the most attractive thing. Being super skinny... not so much. Muscle and bulk are good :-)

• Just google "hottest male male bodies". Most girls like stuff like that. Pictures you get are from articles written by women. Most women like that stuff, you're in the minority, as are your friends.

• Shallow to go on build and looks anyway.

• so you like me then?

• I don't know where you come to the conclusion that guys think girls like skinny guys. Infact, it's the opposite. We guys know that girls hate scrawny guys. They're losing weight in order to build muscle

• My entire life every time I said something about getting bigger girls told me not too. They even yelled it sometimes like I was about to squish a puppy or something. I'm 5'10 and I fluctuate between 135-145. Up until last year I was 132 to 137. And I'm by comparison thinner than most my friends. I've only ever heard one girl say I was too thin, it wasn't to my face, and she was also taller than me. Her friends immediately disagreed. All most all of the pressure to get bigger for me has come from guys In thier teenage years and 20s. After 30 almost all of them give about staying healthy and taking care of your body. The only guy older than 30 that commented on me building muscle was my ex's ex-stepdad. Who was single and a little bitter. I think where you grow up has a huge influence on what type of body shape you think is preferred. I remember a study a while back about how women who grew up in lower income areas no matter what their current income is tend to slightly prefer larger men. I didn't look much further into it so i don't know how valid it is but it's still interesting to think about.

• ALL guys can be attractive regardless of size, but I think it's silly for a guy who's 5'9" and 165 lbs to be trying to get smaller. There's no reason for guys to think that they need to be skin and bone to attract girls. I dated a guy who was big and thick, though not fat at all, and I had guy friends ask me why I wanted to date a fat guy. I was like, he's not fat, you're just really small. It's like my guy friends thought that I'd be most attracted to a super slim guy because that's how I'm built. It doesn't work that way, and girls have different ideas of what's attractive than guys do.

• I hate to tell you, but this entire website is nothing more than people sharing their opinions and irrational biases via their personal anecdotes. There is no 'objective truth' when it comes to sexual attraction LOL.

• Of course. I'm so lost right now. What are you even asking about? Are you trying to prove that not all people like the same stuff or are you trying to figure out why some men think they need to be thinner?

• i dont care what you like. and i look for a woman with brain and a heart. well guess what. today its hard to find one with even just one of these elements... .

• Looks count, like it or not. Girls are judged more harshly than guys anyhow, so get over it.

• Right. That's why you were carping about not being able to find a decent girl. People who are married with three kids do not have time to troll internet forums like GAG.

• i can't find one for my brother. myseldf? i was just lucky. and she most probably found me not the opposite. my brother is 8 years older and still unmarried. and i kno the guy well. its NOT because he has some crazy high standards. its because humans are rare today indeed.

• because they say so here in gag

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not against skinny guys.
    I'm not into big though, muscular or too heavy.

Skinny to average, a little chub is fine.

• I'm not against skinny guys, either. Most of my male friends are skinny. I just think it's silly to see guys starving themselves to get skinnier because they think that girls want them to look anorexic.

• Maybe they want to burn their belly fat.