Are women okay with holding hands with a man on the first date?

If I grab her hand sometime during the date, would she not like it or would she like it? Say, this is someone you are meeting from online at a public place.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well don't grab it. That may catch her off gaurd. If you slowly and gently reach for it then that should be okay. I would find that cute.

What Girls Said 58

• If it's at the end of the date and we're taking a walk, then I'd find it really sweet (assuming we had a good time).

• For me, no. I'm a bit weird about public displays of affection with new romances. I keep my love life very private until things are serious. I would feel uncomfortable.

• It depends entirely on how the date is going.

After chatting for a few hours I was comfortable with my boyfriend holding my hand because I really liked him and we connected well on a personal level.

And yes, we did meet online, then met in a public place during the day.😛

• yeah I'm totally fine with that.

• I don't know it would have to be going pretty well for me to be comfortable with that. Second date no problem but I might feel kind of awkward or forced in the first date.

• Oh man, for me I think I would love that. It shows that a man is very confident and gentle. That he is slowly appreciating you for just being with him on that date- of course some people also like there comfort zone. It just depends on what she's like. If you think she wouldn't mind, do it- but get to know her a little better first before you full blown hold her hands.

• I think if the date went well and it's towards the end like you guys are going for a walk or something that'd be fine. Like get to know each other a bit more and get an idea of how the date is going / how she feels about you. I think it sounds nice though :)

• Dont be too quick to do that as you are just getting to know her. However after a date or two , you could try. First dates , i think you should try to feel the person out and find out what they like and dont like. I mean you might say "But I already know" but online people can lie and you won't be able to read their facial expressions or body language. You still try if you are bold and won't take a negative response that bad ,

• Why don't you try brushing your hand against yours while walking and slowing go to holding her hand that way if she doesn't want to she can do it subtly without it becoming awkward or an anxious situation for her.

• From my experience, I think it totally depends on how the "date" is going. Holding hand can be totally awkward if I feel zero connection with the guy.
    With my boyfriend, it went so well we were kissing on the first date and everything went quickly.

• If I go on a date with a man, I have to like him first, to feel attracted to him and to like his personality. So in that case I won't mind it, I would even find it cute.

• I think it would depend on how the date goes. Like if you click and get along well I see nothing speaking against it.

• Dude people do a lot more than holding hands these days

• I wouldn't care at all.

• I think it should only be done if it feels like the dates going really well, and only at the end of the date. I wouldn't wanna feel pressured to hold his hand and be cozy if I wasn't feeling it

• I wouldn't look to pressure anyone.

• I'm sure you wouldn't! Just trying to help give advice because she may not feel a connection even if she's been friendly the whole date. I would personally wait until the second date to make sure she's truly interested and there's a connection before you try to make any moves. Otherwise you could scare her off or make her feel like you're moving too fast if it's on the first date. For the first date, just stick to hugs when you're first meeting and when you're saying goodbye. If she is interested, you'll keep her wanting more

• I would not recommend it if you haven't met prior UNLESS you two have unbelievable chemistry.

• If I really liked him and wanted to show him that I like him too (hoping the feeling is mutual) yes I would hold his hand

• it would catch me off guard... but i would probably like it. assuming i kind of like the guy already lol.

• I personally wouldn't. But I'm a prude sometimes.

• Depends on the person, but that's probably one of your safer options.

• Um yah thats perfect

• As stupid as it might sound, that's way too intimate for someone you just met.

• Holding hands is fine, unless the date is going badly.

• Not the first date unless we were friends previously and already knew you. Second date though id find it perfect.

• Not really, it shows confidence, go for it

• i'm good with it. it just makes it clear that he's into me xD

• Depends on how the date went. If it went good then I don't see why not.

• only if I already knew him and already knew I wanted to be a couple

• It depends how is the date going. If I feel like I am comfortable with him I wouldn't mind :)

• That seems ok

• More from Girls
    28

What Guys Said 23

• I really like it!! I mean holding hands is gentlemanly and clearly indicates at least a casual commitment to pairing off. But, it's very low key innocent etc too. I think it shows a clear breakdown in barrier that allows for a relationship to develop.

• Don't just copy what I do because those things that suit me might not suit you.

On a first date I often grab her hands and walk down the street with her the moment I see her. I'm just conveying "It's alright to touch" and that makes her also less awkward in touching me. I just grab their hands like it's the most natural thing to do and I never had any problems.

This probably worked because of my personality and the personalities of the girls in question. If I was shy about doing this I am sure it would not have worked.

I'd say if you do it do it naturally and don't make it look like it is a big thing.

• On my first dare with my wife, I kissed her before we even said hello. After that went well, I was quite sure she would be fine with me holding her hand.

• Kissed her? Like a peck on the cheek or full blown out kiss?

• @takumii I never said I was annoying. I said IF I was annoying to other people. People have their own opinions of what they consider annoying. If anything, you were the one that brought up the annoying term with @gray_sailor.

• yes! let's see a pic. not for proof, just out of curiosity

• If it's your first meeting after meeting online, I think it would be a safer bet to offer your arm.

• If they make the love then yes. I've often found they link you more than the holding hands thing though.

• Some are even willing to hold your penis on the first date 😉

• I generally try to do something physical like this first date, if I like the girl, but there's definitely a fear boundary there.

• I don't think I would like holding hands on the first date.. That's like a couple thing to me..

• Just go for it, if you two are walking side by side no harm in it, i have found this to be true.

• With my last two gf's I did that on the first date

• Who cares, its just holding hands. You aren't getting married. Besides, being bold is what women like, being an agreeable loser is boring and thats men like that dont go on dates

• On one of my online first dates, there was no physical contact even thought we had a great time. Then another first date and we were kissing and petting below the waist, in public.

It depends. Go what you feel is right.

• do what you feel like doing, dude. That's what women respond to

• Many likely are.

• Guage her, but if she's that stsndoffish it says something about how she's feeling towards u

• I'm gonna say no on a first date.

• it's holding her hand man... you should have had your first kiss by then

• Age: 31

You ask such question in year 2015, when people are having sex 20mins after they've met.

• That doesn't make it acceptable for them to have sex with each other after only meeting in 20 mins.

• Are you really 31?

• I've done that. I went far on a first date once but I had talked to her for 3 months first

• If both parties are diggin each other and the timing is right sure.

• It depends on the girl. Some are okay with sex on the first date, others would be hesitant to hold hands and view kissing as moving way to quickly.

• It depends on the situation if you can tell that she likes you at least the littlest bit then she should be fine with it but if she doesn't see you anything more then a friend or whatever you are to her then it's not a good idea.