Guys, is your girl the "boss" in the relationship?

I have a lawn care business, so i interact with a lot of people, well I frequently hear them say, let me check with my wife, she's the boss. This cracks me up so much. I almost want to say I thought you're supposed to be the man in the relationship. I guess they're just joking honestly, and saying let me see what she thinks. I just think that since the guy is always supposed to be the leader. etc that they always refer to their wife or girlfriend as the boss. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well ideally, I thought being in relationship requires both people to come to a conclusion with everything. I'm sure the guy wanted to talk to his wife about it before they confirm it with you. I don't know, I just see that as communication and I don't see that being an issue.

There is no boss in the relationship I am currently in.

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on who is coming to the door.

Guy shows up from Schwan's (frozen food delivery) and I answer the door. I'd say to my wife, "Hey hon, do we need anything?" I'd decide for myself if I needed ice cream but I want her input for other items as she does cooking and meal planning.

Different guy shows up trying to sell replacement windows. My wife owns the house (had it before we met) but I'm the person who handles all the maintenence, repair & renovation projects.

"Hey sir, I see you have some nice windows there in your living room." the salesman says."Would you like to upgrade the remaining windows in your house?"

"Funny you should mention that." I reply. "I was just saying to my wife how comfortable our living room was ever since I INSTALLED those windows three years ago." "Anyway, have a nice day."

The conversation usually gets passed to the person with the responsibility for making the decision.

We decide HOW to spend money.
    For some things, she decides what to spend money on.
    For other things, I decide what to spend money on.
    For still other things, it doesn't matter who decides.

What Girls Said 8

• Absolutely not! No one should be the boss in the relationship, you work together. Some men just appreciate their wives and want to please them by saying these things. Truth is, you two are your own bosses but you definitely need communication for sure, and talking it over with either the husband or the wife is not a crime.

• So... she's not allowed an opinion of how her lawn looks? Is that what you're getting at?

• i swear, if at any point i feel like the boss, I'm LEAVING. I've been the boss twice and i hated it! not doing it again -.-

• Haha yeah but they do need to check in with us first ! Tell us and inform us lol I'm like that with my husband. Doesn't mean I boss him Around tho lol

• It's funny cause when I'm working I always talk to the husband and I think it's the husband that's the super critical one, but then you find out that he doesn't really give a shit, it's really the wife that is making my life hell. lol Not to blame women in general, sometimes it's the other way around. It would just make life easier if the person who wants the work done would talk to me. lol Not relay it down the ladder.

• i told one customer that he needs to put his foot down with his wife, and he laughed and was like are you crazy? lol He's a good customer.

• Oh I'm always involved and ask a bunch of questions when it comes to stuff like that. Usually I have to take charge bc my husband is lazy lol sometimes not all the time. Stupid things like sending his mom a bday card bc he just can't be bothered.

• Even in very traditional countries the woman is usually the head of the home

• Yeah its backwards with me never have been in a relationship where the guy leads he always asks permission for everything and checks with me about everything i dont take advantage either its sweet and were a good combination the way it is.. He sure doesn't have a problem with it either he likes the way we are so were happy

• I think the guy should be the boss of the relationship, the person who decide the final decision.

• No. The guy is NOT supposed to be d leader. I would want An EQUAL r/ship.

What Guys Said 24

• thie question reminds me of this comic haha
    http://i.imgur.com/kj6wnCm.jpg

• My girlfriends have never been the boss of the relationship, for me my girl is my partner, we share the responsibility, the struggle and the decisions you work together as a team, really not all that different from having a business partner. You discuss, collaborate and sometimes compromise on the mediocre and important stuff, on the areas that you each know best your the boss, as you each know best as you have the greater knowledge and experience in it or doing it, you don't sweat the small stuff and you each go about your own separate lives as you normally would with the exception that your together.

@gray_sailor also puts and describes it rather well.

• I think the whole 'man of the house' thing pathetic. So what if he calls his wife 'the boss'. This isn't 18th Century Victorian England ffs.

Women can have the say/men can have the say. I couldn't care less. But when people scrutinize men because they let the woman have the say is just lame.

Sorry dude.. that's what I think.

• What? There is no boss in my relationship. Everyone has equal say about everything, although it makes more sense either party to get involved with scenarios they have more knowledge about. Just because he has a penis and she doesn't, doesn't mean her opinion doesn't matter... I think that's called a "dysfunctional relationship".

• There are probably several things at work here:

1. Men are too occupied with starker, more basic practical matters than lawn care to give half a flip about the grass. Women, who are generally not expected to serve as the primary buffer between family and death, are more likely to have the spare energy required to fuss over grass.

2. When their minds are free to roam, men tend to turn their thoughts -away- from the mundane rather than toward it to begin with

3. In addition to being naturally sensitive on the emotional level, men are socialized to reflexively push most everyone else away and thereby depend all the more heavily on their wives for validation. Modern legal realities reinforce this still further. A prudent husband will not risk drawing his wife's ire if the issue is minor. It was probably her idea to hire a lawn care professional in the first place.

In short, the prudent husband knows that the relational Sword of Damocles is always hanging over his head and is generally disinclined to sweat the small stuff anyway, both because he's too tired to care and because it bores him on top of that. He'd much rather take the path of least resistance and let his wife sweat the details if that expedites the process than bleed himself white and waste his own time to hold turf he doesn't want.

• In the social and legal senses, my girl either is or soon will be my boss in most particulars, but only because I vetted her first and decided for myself that I could trust her with the power I'd be giving her. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Well, I agree with what you say but on the other hand you got to check with your girlfriend or wife if it's something what will affect both of you if you make a certain decition. She might not be the Boss as some men refers to them, at the end of the day it's the men who make the major decisions anyway but just to keep them out of bigger problems in the end they just have to talk about it with them. There is also a little plot twist to it though... Remember when you were a kid and you had to ask for permission of your parents if you wanted to go out and play? Sometimes when you didn't want to go out you pretended to ask your parents and told your friend who wanted you to go out, "they won't let me...". And that was it, end of story... What I'm saying is: Now as grown ups, they might just pretend to ask the "boss", their girlfriend/wife something to put the blame on them while they reject something they don't agree to but also don't want to be the "bad guy".

• Any Male who says they are the Boss. They are LYING. We ALL KNOW AND ACCEPT OUR WOMEN BEING THE BOSS. Males are too lazy to be the Boss

• It's not about being a boss it's a partnership. Any major decision only happens when they both give approval. Their wives probably check with them to make sure the husband is ok with a decision she's making.

• I don't like to look at things like I'm the boss, or she's the boss. I'm assertive, and I voice my opinions. When we go out I usually pick the place, but I always factor in what she wants. We take turns like any couple should.

• I let a girlfriend pick things like how fast kissing and sex go. But other wise I like to talk about stuff. Partnership.

• When I did door to door sales the woman would always say I have to check with my husband. Never seen men check with their wives.

• Ehh I don't care who's the boss in the bedroom or IRL. Must be nice not having to make decisions and just go with the flow

• Oh f*ck no! Both 50% like it should be!

• Yes. I prefer it that way.

• I think there are issues where the guy should lead, and issues where the gal should, and those honestly change depending on the guy and gal
    As for me, what relationship?

• If they aren't joking then they're a putz.

• If I was in the relationship, we'd both be the boss of each other.

• I think communication is important between a couple.

• No I'm not box whipped... I whips the box

• She controls the money to pay the landscapers that's why 😄

• The girl is not the boss but you must make her feel like she is in order to maintain a nice relationship that doesn't mean do everything she says that just means let her feel like she has more power then you in the relationship because really neither one of you are the boss you guys get the same amount of power in it don't give her all of it or anymore then 50% of it maybe 75% at most.

• It's just a joke and a way to humor women to make them feel important.

• I am single, and I would never be whipped. Maybe that's why I'm single, but so be it. I could always find a foreign woman that is not a harpy, but please shoot me in the head if I ever accept being whipped.

• I have locked down numerous sales only to hear "let me check with the wife" as soon as I hear that I know the deal is dead. Women are the boss in relationships. Why, if you piss them off your life is miserable.