Would you date a person who was depressed?

If the person was depressed and refused to get help, would you date them? Or would you want them to get treated first?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends

Most Helpful Guy

• like 60 percent of the world is depressed.

once you realize you can't shopping cart people, you learn to love them

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the cause of their depression. There's many causes and levels of depression.

If they were depressed due to a relationship break- up I wouldn't, because I would never give my heart to a guy who was still picking up the pieces of his own. People need to heal before they can give a potential relationship a chance.

If he was deeply depressed and suicidal I wouldn't either , but I would reach out a hand of friendship to him. His emotional & mental state should be priority and I'd encourage him to seek professional help.

I have suffered from depression due to circumstances I was facing at the time, so I know how difficult it was for family/ friends to be around me. So it all depends on his level of depression and reasons why he is depressed.

Depressed people are dateable , but dating may not progress and develop into a relationship if the person doesn't seek help... even self- help. If a depressed person wants a happy relationship they need to put their mental state above any potential relationship.

What Guys Said 17

• Yes, I would. I myself have battled depression in my life, so I would be a hypocrite if I refused to date someone going through the same.

It didn't matter if she didn't seek help. I would try my best to make her happy, even without professional help! :)

• Yeah cuz my "energy + playfulness" would probably rub off on them... which would hopefully bring a smile to their face.

• Yes, that is exactly what happened to me and my man. My boyfriend's positive attitude truly rubbed off on me. He is my savior!

• Nope. I could def be friends. But that is a complete roadblock to pursuing a relationship.

• I would think so. I seem to be quite down myself, and have been for quite a while. I always hope that dating someone would actually help make me happy, but I'm sure it's no certainty.

• I'm not going to sacrifice myself to someone else's problems. I might be a friend, but I wouldn't get romantically involved. It just leads to a world of pain.

• It's one thing to have a relationship with a person who later becomes depressed. You have a responsibility to that person. But, to start a new relationship with someone who's depressed. No way!

• if she WAS depressed then that's in the past... and I would help her overcome those problems anyway, so yes I would date her

• Nooo, that would be the dumbest thing. If they got depressed while we were dating i'd help her through it but certainly not out of the gate.

• even though I have my sad moments I can not sad seeing sad faces knowing me I'd probably do all in my power to make them happy then go home and cry

• I wouldn't want to get involved with someone who was battling depression

• Sounds somehow romantic for me

• Yes. I certainty wouldn't mind at all. :)

• nah man, it's too much work. from what i've seen, depressed people tend to drag their partner down with them. i'm too positive of a dude to deal with that shit. ain't nobody got time for that.

• I could give it a try but she ain't shittin on me or it ends

• The only reason I wouldn't date a depressed girl is because she will make me feel like it's my fault

• Yes, I would date a depressed person.

• If I love them. I don't care if they are suicidal, if I lobe them, I lobe them, so I would try to help the bese I can

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, I'd date them. I feel like I could actually relate to them in a way. I've never been diagnosed cause never went to a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure I've had terrible depression. I know how much a depressed person needs someone who truly cares about them, so it wouldn't stop me from dating them.

• I have had clinical issues with it myself, so why would I leave myself vulnerable to influence like that?

• no i am depressed i don't need extra stress!

• No, never.
    Sorry to say - I pick up on other people's emotions extremely quickly... I might want to kill myself if I was in a relationship with a depressed person.
    Or it would just last very shortly.

• Nah I can't deal. I smile too much to be feeling sad

• I think I would if I really liked them. I'd want to do all that I can to help

• Depression is normal girl you make me feel like depressed people are crazy, that's wrong bc each person get depression maybe bc of work, friends, stress... and it will pass soo yeaa why not

• sure. let's slit our wrists together.

• I would be there for my man if he ever fell into depression, and I know he would be there for me too. We are a team.