"You deserve better than me" Does he actually mean this, or is he using it as an excuse?

A guy I've been talking to established he just wants to be friends at the moment, but maybe something in the future can happen between us. Anyway, he said last night that I deserve better than him, because "I'm a great girl" and I have "a lot to be proud of" (I assume accomplishments) and he doesn't. Is he saying this as an excuse to get me to stop liking him, or does he honestly believe he doesn't deserve me? This is the first time he's said anything like this before, and I don't know what to think. He's said to me before that a woman that has great things going for her is something he doesn't mind. Now I don't know what to think.

What Guys Said 1

• Judge this based on his personality and how he thinks of himself. If he's a confident guy he's probably using it as an excuse. If he's not so confident or possibly dealt with self esteem issues in the past he probably means it.

What Girls Said 0