Girls, Would it be weird if you found out a guy you had been dating and really liked a lot owned guns? Would you break up with him?

Let's say he has them for protection/hunting and he has them properly stored and is always extremely careful when handling them.
He's just a normal guy. Not a huge NRA guy or one of those open carry everywhere types.

19

Most Helpful Girl

• Um... no?

I also own guns. It's not like I go around waving them around all the time. I probably have more guns in my house than he has in his. Wouldn't be alarmed at all.

What Girls Said 18

• No! my boyfriend owns two guns and a couple knives but he keeps them sealed away only where he knows if he ever needs them. I think, in general, it's a way for men to truly feel they can protect themselves and whoever else they need to. In my case, he's becoming a cop so having guns around is going to be normal. If my boyfriend had a bunch of guns laying around, loaded or not, however, id be very concerned.

• Um no. I'd pick put the ones I wanted to try out and head to the range 😎🔫

• Nope. I would break up only if he wouldn't let me hold one of his guns lol or shot lol I really really want to shot a gun. He would have so much fun, I'd love to spend some days learning how to shot.

• Well I found out my boyfriend, who I later married, had guns when he took me home to meet his family. They all have guns. We didn't break up, we talked about it and why he has them. Since he's in the military and we'll be living in the UK he can't have them there. I think if he had them for the wrong reasons then it would make me uncomfortable, but I understood why he had them after we talked and I told him my concerns.

• upended why he has them, but without any details so far. yeah.. were breaking up.

• Why?

• as i said it depends on the reason. if its for protection then i can understand but if he's into hunting violence or trying to look 'manly' we won't click.

• Ok. That makes sense.

• Not at all.. my dad owns guns..

• Absolutely not. I would go shooting with him! But I'm a hunter so haha

• nope, everyone has their hobbies, as long as he doesn't hurt anyone or threaten anyone with them it should be fine.

If you don't feel safe around them, then leave

• I mean thats alright i guess i wouldn't pick fights with him lol

• My family has guns to. So I wouldn't be alarmed.

• No unless they were stolen or somehow illegal

• no i wouldn't break up with him instantly, i need to know what are those for and why would he need all those guns for?

• Not at all. As long as they can be locked up/ stored properly i woulnd care

• Depends why he has them, but no.

• Maybe.

I'm from the country so everyone has a lot of guns. But if he's like an obsessive NRA activist, in a militia or one of those guys who carries an AR 15 into a suburban Starbucks, I wouldn't be down.

• Its illegal in my country Lol.
    Okay besides the law, I have to understand him enough to know that he is not some kind of violent people that could use the gun to hurt me. Then having gun is fine.

• I would probably dump him, unless he just liked collecting them. I hate guns and I hate people who hunt.

• You do realize that for thousands of years, hunting was the only way people provided food for themselves, right?

• Thanks for clarifying. I was only condescending because I was under the impression that you were against ALL hunting. Sorry if I offended you.

• That's all right. :)

• It would make me uncomfortable but so long as he was safe and legal I wouldn't break up with him no.