Why do black women age so well?

white women tend to get wrinkles at the age of 26 while black women usually dont get them unless they are at least 50... in my eyes every woman is beautiful but why do black women age so gracefully, my mom is 50 but looks 5-10 years younger... im 23 but could pass for 15, my sis is 29 but still looks 17, my young sis is 20 but looks like she is 12... why?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because of the melanin in their skin. Melanin is the pigment which gives your skin, hair and iris its color. One of it's main primary duty is to repel the skin from the intense UV rays that comes from the Sun, so it basically acts as a natural sunblock/sunscreen.

Black people (along with anyone with colored skin like Asians, Indians, some Latinos and etc) has a larger density of melanin in their skin, which benefits them greatly since it slows down their chances of photoaging, which is why they age so gracefully on average.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always thought it has something to do with moisturising skin. Like white people naturally have oilier skin and hair and don't put anything on their face, black people naturally have drier skin and hair and tend to moisturise.
    Moisturising skin helps keep elasticity in it, which helps you have less wrinkles and less stretch marks. That's why some fat people don't have stretch marks while some slim people do... it's just about elasticity in their skin. But i think it's similar for wrinkles.

What Guys Said 14

• the higher levels of melanin (which lead to the skin color) also prevent UV rays from damaging the skin

• Black don't crack.

• Melanin prevents skin damage from the sun. You don't need to be a biologist to know that shit lol

• Perhaps because their skin has more melanin n shit?

• Poor choice of words, given the context. I didn't imply shit in the literal sense of the word. Should have said ''n stuff''.

• Colored skin is nature's sunblock.

And when I say colored, I mean all shades of color... Black, brown, mocha, yellow, red...

• Black people moisturise their skin more often than white people do. You know full well you apply shea butter to your skin.

• They got more collagen in the skin making it elastic but it scars badly you can't have it all

• "Why do black women age so well?"

Melanin

I'm 31 and school cops still card me.

• Genetics is why

• Melanin, fat in skin, amount of sunlight your skin is able to take well. I'm a Caucasian male and I looked like I was in my mid twenties when I was 15-16. Now I am 21 and look 17-18. Definitely due to the fact I carry an extra 5 to 15 pounds.

• I was also shorter and weighed more at 15 and 16, so the extra fat then made me look older.

• 0|1
  • I notice many who have tons of wrinkles and ones that don't. It's really more of an individual thing. I'm sure there's a correlation between race and wrinkles but most of it is based upon the individual.

• I much rather be a wrinkly white woman than a wrinkle free black woman lol.

• Not true for all women...

What Girls Said 4

• Probably has to do with sun damage. Darker skin gives more protection, so light skin will be damaged easier and be aged prematurely. Not to mention the tanning fad. Red heads and others who are extremely white-pale have more cases of skin cancer as well.

• Our society is far too obsessed with aging and generalizing pointless things lol. We're all gonna get old, gray, achy, and wrinkled. It make sense that black people may not show as many signs of aging on their skin, because melanin is protective against sun damage which is a HUGE contributor to wrinkling and skin aging. The years of sun damage add up. Black people also have higher bone density naturally which makes them less at risk for osteoporosis and bone fractures.

• Don't they have thicker skin or am I wrong haha

• 1|0