Girls, Would you date a guy that wears an insulin pump?

I have had type 1 (juvenile) diabetes since I was 8 years old and I've been wearing an insulin pump for the past 10 years. I've only been with one girl, I told her when we met that I'm diabetic, she would crack on me about my pump and I remember her saying it looked "weird" or was weird. I have a huge complex about it and have since we broke up and it's been holding me back from dating anyone else. I'm thinking about switching back to shots because it causes me so much anxiety.

How can I maybe just get over it, is it that big a deal?

19

Most Helpful Girl

• Let's start by admitting that I did not answer this question. My sister who is in medical school her 4th year wrote this. She is at Cornell in Manhattan New York. Don't ask for nude pictures of a her.

Well let's start with relax insulin-dependent diabetes is a tough road to hoe. It can make you uptight about many things including dating. There implantable insulin pumps. You might want to consider them. If it makes you that uncomfortable and your blood sugar can be tightly regulated using injections then go for that. Of course you understand that your hemoglobin A1c is a more important indicator of overall glucose metabolism than any random blood sugar. The latest dialogue and information is aimed for that. The overall opinion of physicians specializing in diabetes is that a patient should have the choice of what type of glucose control they prefer. In your case it is obviously not a insulin pump. Why? Because you are not yet comfortable with yourself and I perfectly understand that. Perhaps you should change. Perhaps you should begin dating a better class of women. Ones with brains and understanding to your situation. You can easily overcome your inferiority by developing the attitude of, "who gives a shit. You want to get to know me you want to have sex with me or is this fucking pump too much for you? Well if it's too much for you you are too much for me. Substitute the inferiority with your own sense of superiority not allowing some idiot girl to get the best of you. I have treated many patients just like you and the ones that overcome the external insulin pump are the ones that not only say but inside feel, hey this is me you don't like it go to hell or go somewhere where I'm not around. You are more important than your fucking pump."

What Girls Said 18

• Yes, I would. It's not a big deal at all and certainly wouldn't affect my attraction to a guy. My brother has Type 1 Diabetes and he has an insulin pump too so I know a bit about it and I think it's cruel that anyone would make fun of you for that.

You should feel happy that you're no longer with that girl, she was obviously very ignorant and believe me, she does not represent all women. Don't let your fear of that make you go back to shots. Your health and comfort is FAR more important than what any girl thinks.

• I agree. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 2. The pump has made life so much better for him. If a girl can't accept this guy for who he is, she is not the girl for him and he should keep looking while staying true to himself.

• @crystalt70 Yes, I totally agree. He shouldn't have to compromise how he deals with his disease in order to please a girl. I feel sad that any girl would laugh at a guy for something like this.

• I am sorry that you have had to deal with that. Just remember that not every girl/woman is the same. Don't let one experience rule your life. The right person will come along and accept everything about you. by the way, my 5 year old son has type 1 diabetes and is also on a pump. He uses OmniPod and we love it. Which one are you using? My son was diagnosed at age 2 and hated the multiple daily shots. The pump has made things so much easier. Don't change what works for you and your life to please someone else. Be who you are and be okay with that, regardless of what others think.

• Well thay girl is a bitch and an insulin pump won't affect my attraction for someone because it's something you've had to live with all your life and without it that would be hard to do won't it. So yeah I'd date a guy with an insulin pump jaha

• Best advice I could give here: Ignore and avoid people like that. They're immature and not worth your time.
    That wouldn't stop most girls from dating you. It might take some getting used to, but when it comes right down to it, if it's improving your quality of life, then screw everyone else. You take care of yourself.

• I would, I figure if you like someone then you accept them as they are, and that ex girlfriend of yours was an immature jerk for Saint those things to you.

• It's not big of a deal at all, it helps you function.

• I wouldn't care to be honest.

• For sure I would date a guy like you, I have no problem with that, nobody is perfect. I have some health problems too.

• I would. Wouldn't think twice.

• I don't think she liked you that much in the first place, otherwise it wouldn't have bothered her

• I'd definitely still bang

• Yeah, I don't really have an issue with that.

• Yeah, I would.

• its not a big deal. you just got in a relationship with the wrong person and I'm sure that someday u will find someone who will treat u normally and like a king.

• Who the fuck cares? I can't believe some people. It's not a big deal at all, and if someone thinks it is, they're not worth your time. I hope you can overcome the complex soon. :)

• It's an insulin pump, it's helping to keep you ALIVE and HEALTHY. That girl sounds kinda insensitive. Who insults someone about their health. Insulin pumps are no big deal. In the end, you need to do what's best for you.

• If the guy and I got along, yeah I'd date him. If he could tell me what he needs me to do if something where to happen, that would be appreciated. I dated a guy with severe asthma and he told me how to help him with his inhaler (if I needed to).

Everyone has something, as long as you are a good person you'll find a good woman. That one girl that was ragging on you was super rude. If the shots hurt and the pump is much more comfortable for you, stick with the pump. There are plenty of understandable people out there.

• It wouldn't stop me from liking a guy at all, but it of course isn't ideal