"Why are you single?" - why do men ask this question?

What are some of the reasons why men ask "why are you single"?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some reasons are that they want to know what is wrong with you because many think being single is wrong and being in a relationship is right. And being single by choice is beyond the comprehension of many people.

In some cases it can also be a backhanded compliment where they are saying that you are a great woman and therefor it's odd that you are single. Once again the perspective than being single is wrong.

Most Helpful Girl

• not really sure why. Not quite as bad as '... you're STILL a virgin? :o '
    As if there's some sort of cut-off date after which, if you're still not sexually active, you're past your shelf-life or something. -_-

What Guys Said 10

• Probably because they're incredulous that someone hasn't snatched you up yet.

• It means "I want to date you, and I can't figure out why someone else hasn't snatched you up yet."

• If your attractive, if you're friendly and really outgoing are some reasons

• It's meant to be a compliement as in "wow, you are so awesome, guys must be after you all the time, how come you keep turning everyone down?".

• If I say to a woman 'why are you single' I'm hoping the answer is 'because you haven't asked me out yet.'

If that response isn't forthcoming, I figure she's totally not interested and never will be interested and put her in the maybe friend column.

• Its their way of asking are you saving yourself for marriage, are a virgin or are a lesbian. Just keeping it real aha

• indirect compliment? like you are too pretty to be single?

• If I ask I want to get an idea of whether there's some realistic excuse or if she may have some psychological problems where she can't hold onto a guy. Sometimes they give themselves away in what they say, other times they don't.

• well for me, I'm flirting with you. "how can SUCH a perfect girl not be taken?" kinda like that.

• Because any woman who is a decent catch has a boyfriend now a days. It's so easy for women now, that if you don't have a boyfriend there is something not considered normal with her. Either looks, or personality or she's damaged or she has issues or high maintenance or socially awkward etc.

What Girls Said 3

• Girl I don't know

• Curious people.

• To show interest in you.