Can a man never be a 'catch'?

I have mostly heard the term 'catch' being used for women. It's pretty common for men to say "she's a real catch". But why is this term hardly, if ever, used to refer to men? It's very rare for women to say "that man is a real catch".

Does this somehow mean that women don't value men as much as men value women? Or is that due to the fact that women usually have so many dating options and get asked out left and right, so no man is really a 'catch' in their opinion?

• Yes, men can be a catch
  • No, men are just 'ordinary'.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've heard it used for guys plenty of times and I use it to describe guys as well...

• In your opinion, what makes a guy a 'catch'? I mean... as a female, I'm pretty certain that you get a lot of male attention and also get approached left and right (like most girls). So among so many men you can get to choose from, who makes the cut as a 'catch' to you?

• And no, no one else can work on the other stuff. Your personality is your personality. You can learn to be kinder or more sociable, but you can't make yourself into someone I'll fall for if you weren't before. You can't learn my humor, you can't learn to hold the kinda conversations I love, etc etv

• Ok, thanks! Appreciate your detailed response! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• A man is only a catch to a woman if he is wayyyy above her. I mean she makes 30 k a year and he makes like 300 k a year. He's model tier looks, and she is a legit 6/10. He has a powerful social circle with rich friends/family and she just has her college friends with middle class lifestyle. In short for a man to be a catch for a woman he literally has to shit on her in every aspect of life that actually matter.

What Girls Said 7

• Can a man never be a 'catch'?
    In my observations males are by default seen as a catch. I rarely find guys lacking in self-esteem instead they seemingly think the only possible flaw they have is a self-congratulatory one of being too nice.

It's pretty common for men to say "she's a real catch". But why is this term hardly, if ever, used to refer to men?
    Possibly because it seems like gals desire relationships more than guys thus gals are put under more 'pressure' to be worth keeping rather than throwing her back. While guys seemingly hold disdain for relationships viewing it as a trap, prison, or shackle to escape from. I find the only guys that seem to desire relationships are the ones who have no to little options for sexual activity beyond prostitution so they idealize relationships.

Does this somehow mean that women don't value men as much as men value women?
    LMFAO. I highly doubt that guys value gals at all beyond their youth, beauty, and sex. It seems more likely that the 'catch' phrase shows how much more gals value men than men value gals. By suggesting that there are criteria a gal must uphold to be a catch aka have worth to a man while by default a man has worth.

Or is that due to the fact that women usually have so many dating options and get asked out left and right, so no man is really a 'catch' in their opinion?
    I doubt this as quantity does not equate to quality. A gal can be asked out by hundreds of guys but if almost all are unattractive unappealing a-holes then a guy who is attractive interesting and cool would probably be seen as a 'catch'.

• Clearly you have never watched a lifetime movie. That's all they're about. "Oh, Sally, how could you screw that up? James is such a *catch*!"

• No I haven't watched that movie. Besides, aren't movies fictitious anyway? :P

• Believe whatever you want, dude. I don't need to convince a brick wall that it's made of clay.

• Sorry if you got offended. I was just saying that i simply can't base reality on movies. Anyway, I appreciate your opinion and comments. :)

• If you can find a guy that has a job, drives, doesn't smoke, do drugs, or drink excessively, is a genuine nice person, and shares similar interests as you then that would be considered a "catch" or a keeper for most girls.

• Thank you! By 'drives', do you means to say the one who owns a car?

• Hmmm... ok ok!

Bit off topic, but I was asking this because I would be a immigrating to a different country in a couple of months, and would be starting my life/career over from scratch. So it might take a while for me to actually buy a car. I wanted to know if not having car would make women write me off as potential dating material.

I do have a car here, though. Which I drive regularly. I also own and drive a motorbike.

• Oh well you'll just have to figure out what people value you over there. But yeah I think as long as you can drive or know how to get around your fine

• Yes a man can be a catch, it depends on if he's generally seen as a 'good' man or not.

• Yes but they are often married or have a hot girlfriend 😂

• Sure men can be a catch lol but thats more of a guy term in my opinion. I use different slangs and slogans

• I hear people say that about men all the time

What Guys Said 14

• 1. Reason you've never heard of a man being a catch is cause you have been only hearing guy talk
    2. If you heard girl talk, they talk as much of a guy being a catch than a girl
    3. Difference is guys mean a girl as a catch if she is aesthetically and physically hot while girls mean that and about his demeanor, career, prospects etc

• For every time I hear this said about a woman, I hear it like five times about a dude. I don't know if it's just the way it's worded, but "he's quite a catch" seems more natural to say.

• Oh really? Probably the place where you live is filled with highly desirable men!

• Correct, there are plenty of losers that are not a catch.

• In your opinion, what constitutes a 'loser'?

• I'm sure you have plenty to offer, just strive to be your best from the inside-out and get out there and meet more women!

Good luck :)

What I'm mainly referring to are the bums just sitting around playing video games forever, rotting away their lives. Or the guys that don't get out there and complain about how women are so entitled blah blah.

• Haha, I agree! I am a fan of video games too, but I don't base my life around them! Regarding women though, not much of an opportunity to day in my country, since women here are so conservative and prefer to go for arranged marriage (I hope you know what it is). I have actually put off dating until I immigrate and get settled in the new country with a stable job. I would not want to put myself out there until I have the maximum to offer, including a job and stable career. Because that would obviously increase my value in the 'dating market'! :P

• No, most girls think they're above most guys, that they're the real prizes. Unless a guy is far more accomplished than her, i. e. richer, better looking, more successful, then he's just disposable to most girls.

• He can, but very rare compared to woman. Partly because it's the man's job to "catch" woman, not the other way around.

• I've heard of a guy being referred to as a "catch" PLENTY of times!

• It's used for guys too. I've heard to aimed towards me a few times lol

• Have you never watched a romcom?

• Who cares that word sounds like shit anyways.

• I'd think, he's a keeper sounds better than he's a catch.

• Yeah, but then, would women ever consider any man a 'keeper', since they have a plethora of men to choose from anyway?

• Ha ha. Gee, you're the first who's called me anything close to intelligent here.

• No, it's the truth! You seem to use really fancy language and certain high level jargon! :P

• Well women always act like they hit the jackpot when they realize the guy is a doctor or some other prestigious job but other than that I don't think they see guys as a catch

• Stupid westernized Indian. Stop copying us.

• To hell with you, friggin' racist. I ain't copying no one. Bugger off back to your racist planet. Jerk!

• So who are you? Anonymous national?

• Marriages are supposed to be arranged, and after the husband passes away the wife is supposed to be burned to death.

We westerners made a big mistake by liberating our women. You would be wise to learn from our mistakes.

• OMG !!! Does GAG read minds or what !!! I had been thinking what exactly this term means. Yes it sounds simple... until someone calls you one. I had never heard this term. Couple of weeks back a female colleague of mine was praising my wife. When I said I got lucky, she said "but YOU're a catch". I did not know what to say to her.

• Haha, nice to know that! For a change, a man got told he was a 'catch'! ;)

• I really don't understand any of that shit really. I think people who are traditional say shit like that.

• Is that so?

• You're actually like a demi-god, dude! You just don't realise it! I mean... come on, girls ask you out themselves! WOW! You could be a role model for so many men!

• No. I mean it's happened a few times. Twice in HS and one time in college, but I don't know she says she wasn't trying to ask me out per say but she is attracted to me and said she just didn't want a boyfriend.

I'm not much of a role model. I just think guys shouldn't be forced to do stuff like this. It upsets me.