Men, would you date a girl with body image issues and an eating disorder?

I'm 17 and I've had bulimia for a better part of my life. Now, you wouldn't really be able to tell unless I told you. For the most part I look very normal. I'm on the thinner side but not unhealthy, I dress fine, my teeth are fine. However I have very bad body image issues and I have been in therapy in the past. I am probably going to spend the better part of my twenties on a specialized meal plan. I have a very weak digestive system and an intense phobia of weight gain. Otherwise I'm normal. I work, go to school. Really no one would guess that I am sick. Would you continue to date a girl if you found out she had body image issues and an eating disorder?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• The best thing for you to think about isn't rather a guy would or wouldn't leave you because of your condition. The best thing is addressing the issue you have because that's something you really need to beat for your own self regardless of anyone else. I was once in a similar situation as you and to beat your problem or your obsession with your weight will require you to stop paying attention to it in the first place.

• I've posted on here about the same topic and you helped me a lot. Sadly, things have gotten worse. I have since then seen a decline in my health and my throat has a small tear. I am now forced to recover unless I wanted to be admitted into inpatient.

• You have an obsession over weight gain the same thing I had. I have many phobias including OCD and there is not doubt in my mind bulimia is a from of OCD. First you got to recognize if you gain some weight it's normal go with it no big deal as long as it's not drastically unhealthy wight you will be fine and everybody will still like you guys and girls will. Bulimia is dangerous was responsible for killing a couple of mine and my brother's most favorite female artist's of all time Moma Cass and Karen Carpenter and I don't want you to be added to that list. If you gain weight I'm sure it will look awesome on you and for the possibility of a very few idiots if any that say they don't like you, they're no big deal they wouldn't like you anyway, give them the finger and move on you have important things to do and to live for and they're not important what so ever.

• Sorry, I misspoke, I had an obsession but it wasn't weight gain. The common link though was they're both obsessions.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its hard to date someone with an eating disorder because all you want is for them to get better, but its a disease and its not so easy. I would want them to make themselves better before leaping into a relationship first, because it can really take a toll on a relationship and get to an unhealthy point. However if they wanted to help themselves I would be willing to go through it with them, and help them along the way

What Guys Said 7

• All guys are different but here is my rule of two
    Not uptight/Easily offended
    And has a sense of humor

• why should anyone stop dating you that is just stupied

• First off, I'm so sorry about that,
    Second, I've got mental disorders myself and so does my girlfriend
    Remember this, Its a mark of true strength when you try to get past this problem.
    Therapy isn't a weakness, it shows strength of character.

• No, I wouldn't.

• Probably not if I knew ahead of time. Too many psychological issues and baggage. If I found out while dating, I'd be there for her

• I don't make plans for these things. Maybe I'd.

• No because I don't date.

What Girls Said 1

• most people do anyhow.

• Yea doesn't every girl have body image issues nowadays?

• guys too. 30% of people diagnosed with eating disorders are men/ boys. and these are just diagnosis which means they'd have to seek treat, went which im sure many won't.

but what i really meant is being focused on body image for etc is so absurdly entrenched in everything we do. few people enemy without some kind of complex about their body or phobia about something they are ingesting.. I just meant you're really not a lone. you just got a fancy title ;p

also you seem levelheaded, i dont see any reason a guy would reject you not from how you describe your current situation. :)

• Thank you. It's a fear of mine that I will get attached to someone and they won't understand my body image issues or how I will never have a normal relationship with food and my body. I usually keep this part of my life to myself and my family and close friends though. And yea I've met plenty of boys with eating disorders, it's very common.