Has anyone had any good experiences from online dating?

Did you meet your spouse or partner online? I am very skeptical of the people who are on there. I refuse to do online dating because I have an issue with attracting crazy guys online and offline. I find people who search for love online are usually basketcases. And are desperate for a relationship sorry no offense to these who date online it is just my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who has spent almost 10 years mainly dating online I disagree. That is a very backwards and opinionated way of thinking told you by adults when you grew up. The reality is over 20% of relationships today start online. Even much higher by some stats. Online is no basket cases unless you are attracted to that type of person. People who go online are probably best described as selective and picky. They know what they want and realize traditional dating methods are not very effective at finding it. Going to a bar or a club is a poor way to find real compatibility.

I always say this to skeptical people. If you were shopping and I said you could A: pick from 3 random apples or B: hundreds that have been narrowed down to your preference which would you choose? Anyone in their right mind would choose B. So why letting dating be different? Why settle? The best advice I can give is use sites with good question sets and find people with high compatibility. Take your time, just like the bar or blind dates your going to have duds. BUT online can really give you a great shot at finding someone. I met my ex fiance online and the distance is the only reason we broke up. MOST people you date are not going to be the ones you marry. It takes time online or off just be patient and remember you get weirdos in real life to.

• Wouldn't you have done better being 'out there' looking at real people in real places, doing everyday things, for those 10 years? I dont mean hanging out in pickup bars and the like!

• Also thank you for the MHG by the way

• No problem

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never get involved with anyone online. You end up falling for an illusion, then when you meet up your illusion is usually shattered , because the person turns out not to be the person you thought they were. The internet is a Psychopaths playground. I don't trust anyone online. It would be naive to trust.

• Nobody ever thinks of these things. That same thing happened to me except I just cammed with that person and they were not who I thought they were all at. He was definitely a psychopath who tried to talk me into commiting suicide to prove that I loved him as disturbing as it is I thought that was normal. I was so brainwashed and under his spell. I do not know how I got out of that one. I will never do online dating for that reason. I got PTSD from that whole situation and blamed myself.

• Sorry for errors*vigilant*
      *no one*
      *reality

• It's rare online relationships last. Not impossible to work, but online relationships bring about trust issues and insecurities with most people

What Guys Said 40

• I know plenty of people who are now married and they met through online dating. Stick with the paid sites. People who are paid members usually take it a bit more serious.

• The real paid members do take it serious. But there are just as many scammers on EHarmony, Christian mingle, and Match. com than the free sites. I know this to be a fact.

• @Rissyanne Well it is a night and day experience for me vs you women. My sister told me at least 75% were bs emails she got for sex from married, young or wrong color guys. I never had that issue of course. but I couldn't believe the amount of women that send me messages with just "hey" or "hi". i am like? if you can't come up with at least 1 sentence on the Book of a profile I wrote then I doubt we are going to match up.

• I know people who are married from blind dates. Hey, you can have success blindly picking names out of the phone book, too.

But I think you do better meeting people in real life situations.. NOT pick up bars or the like.

• Most of the 'success' stories, I believe, are planted by the online dating companies to get people to sign up with them!

I personally don't know of any successful outcomes. Some total disasters, and the rest kind of so-so. People would do better meeting people in real life.

Sure there are SOME legitimate success stories.. but not so darn many.

• So-so is the best to expect. Hypergamy etc

• As for the real success stories, hey, you'd have success sometimes throwing darts at names you randomly write on a board... Online dating, at BEST, is ike that.\\

Sure the paid sites are better, there is more vetting of applicants and people are paying attention more as well as paying money. But I still think you'd be better off meeting people in 'real life.' NOT bars and clubs.. in everyday situatins.

• I met several nice women through POF and match. com. One of them was nice enough to get a proposal from me, and she accepted. Ultimately, we got a divorce, but that was unrelated to the fact that I met her online.

• How could it be totally unrelated to how you met? Explain that to me.

• I dunno, wouldn't you have picked up on her being manipulated, or manipulating you onbehalf of the kids? Hard to detect this character flaw online, no?

• @martyfellow Hard to pick up on that within the first 30 minutes if I meet her in a bar, too. I dated her for two years before we got engaged, so apparently I missed the signals. But I didn't miss the signals because I met her online.

• been on POF for years and hardly anything. women almost NEVER message you. most women r ugly and probably collect emails and laugh at people probably. there r almost no attractive women there anywhere near my lvl. if u message someone there's almost no telling if they even looked at you most people say they just scrap most emails in batches. too many women there with conflicting interests. will say one thing and too dumb to realize they disagree w themselves on another thing. they have no idea what is reality. they put out profiles like honey, but theyre probably the biggest hypocrites. i feel like its a complete waste of time. infact it is i just get bored. i get more attention from just walking in the street.

• you get the ugliest women with the most hypocritical personalities msging pictures of models, theyre that dumb they can't realize its not a real person. its just like they say you have to be the most attractive cliche personality there so women think your REAL. .. lol, they are.. dumb... the guys r just as stupid. I've created fake fem profiles there before. personally there was nothing really wrong with many of the guys messages. women there want witty lines of dialogue or want to feel like theyre starting a love story. theyre completely delusional. the whole thing is so fake, unless you just want a hookup, the site is SUPER SUPER shallow. youve got to be either really stupid average or really cliche to get it to work.

• Mine are all good, but I was never looking for a date or love when I did, nor was it through any dating sites, but just people I met online randomly here an there. People tend to be more real online suprisingly unlike what most people think. But dating sites in general tend to be superficial as well as just a market where you sort of sell yourself, so naturally there you are more likely again to run into fakeness and craziness really.

• Back in the days when the "internet" was still a new thing, I did have a lot of luck with online dating. There were no shallow profiles. It was just getting to know each other through online messaging and e-mails. This was 15 to 20 years ago though. I have had virtually NO luck in recent years with a couple of the current popular dating sites.

• Id rather meet a woman in my daily life not over the Internet. It's easier to know someone without the anonymity of the Internet.

• Sure you CAN meet someone online who is right for you, but you could also do that throwing darts at a list of random people's pictures...

• A lot of hookups through tinder. No real relationships though. Hookups are always nice in my book though lol.

• Since I was forced back to dating after 25 years and an unwanted divorce I was SO happy there is online dating. I don't have any other way to meet anyone. I work from home. I put everything into my family. So I have my best friend since age 7 but no other friends. I don't go to church (thank god lol).
    My sister found her husband on POF. She put me on to it. I have had equal success from POF and Tinder. I went on one date on Match but it was a horrible site.
    Free sites work well. Use the free sites first before paying. I thought that if someone paid for the extra services that they would take it more serious, OH HOW I WAS WRONG... The free people really do better. But the extras on POF are nice so if I go back to online, I will upgrade on POF.

• Again, you CAN find someone desirable online, but you could have done that drawing names out of a hat as well.\

I still think real life is better, but I understand with kids and all, that may not have been an option in your situation.

• @martyfellow explain what you mean by "real life"? online is "real life".
      What are you going to do? Walk up to a stranger on the street and say "How you doin?" she is going to think you are a creep. I would never do that. So where is this stable of available women you seem to have available...

• After reading all these answers, I think I've learned the secret to being successful at online dating: be female, not male.

• I have met some nice people online and we've hung out many times, all is great. Of course, one needs to have some brains before they meet up with someone they chatted with virtually, especially so for women.

Not SO material, but I don't set out to find an SO in the first place. I'll see someone, if things click it's great. Give it some months and we'll go from there.

• My dad met his fiancee on there.

• Once, I dated this girl online, and we got along great. Then she died. The end.

• I met my girlfriend on Tinder and we have been dating for a year so far.

• I meet my Fiancée on POF. We talked for like a month on there and then meet in person, was the best thing I ever did now almost 2 years later were living together and soon to be married. I even dated a girl I meet off this site a few years back, there is nothing wrong with online dating you just have to be sure that the guy is sincerely looking for a relationship.

• The odds would be better getting off the computer and meetng people in the right situations, NOT pick up bars and the like!!!

• @martyfellow Yes but the problem is most people don't know where to meet others. Now days with everyone being into the internet so much it makes sense. And as far as bars go I don't know anyone who actually found a long distance relationship with someone they meet at a bar.

• No ma'am 💁🏻

• I've met a few online (as I literally work alone) and it makes it hard to meet people.
    So yes.. and to be honest, they have not been truly serious relationships.. but they were all good girls and it was fun while it lasted!

• You know, i tried, but it's too painful, the struggle is real

• If nobody had any success with online dating, these sites won't exist now would they?

• Well, they work at projecting a big enough LIE that it does work. And how does one check on dating site validity, anyway? Where would you get your source of information?

• @Johnagain I get my source of information from all the successful couples I personally know who met online.

• Well I've had no luck.

• NOPE. I always had many likes, matches, etc. Nothing EVER came of it. Granted, I'm a guy though.

• It's difficult for me to even find a woman online that's willing to go on a date with me. Ugh...

• I met my fiancée on a paid Catholic dating site.

• I have never dated in my lifetime. Be it real life or online, hence I can't say anything

• I have had 3 online relationships and id say all 3 were positive in a lot of ways.

• Nope one of four chicks I met with turned out to be psychosh and thought I looked like her ex

• I had lots of fun and short term relationships from online dating. From that, I don't really think it's that different from real dating (where you met offline) in that you'll meet a lot of people you aren't compatible with long term.

• 'REal dating' m, eaning bars and clubs and singles events? If that's what you mean by real dating, you are right!

• @martyfellow Real meaning you met them offline. I kinda regret that wording now since all the dates I went on with people from dating sites were definitely 'real'.

• Good people are who stays the least in these sites, because of getting a date fast.

Being a girl you best chance is to ignore all the incoming messages from guys, and search for guys yourself. Then date fast and see who he really is.

• It is possible for someone to find his/her 'soulmate' in a online dating site. But I personally prefer to meet someone 'offline', so to say. I've chat to a lot of girls and dated few. My experience: disappointing.

• Online dating has both the interesting version of its drama and ugly side but I bet, you stand a great opportunity to learn so many vital lessons and at the same time develop some kind of mindset you never thought can be in your possession.
    Because once both partners hit the like and love button despite the distance between them, they continue from there with that great mindset of " it is possible for us to get together no matter the background " ..
    What I even admire most about online dating is that virtually every bad cultures for instance stereotype and so on are reduced to the fucking bearable minimum.
    It is indeed interesting to experience one.

• Never tried it. Forever alone.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 33

• I think that you can meet someone online especially if you are an introvert and it is hard for you to make random friends with strangers, being online you can slowly get to know the person through email first. I personally know a few people who met their spouses online and are successfully and happily married.

• I met my husband four years ago online. We have been married a year and 4 months. I sometimes feel like I don't deserve him and yet he says I deserve the world. He is so good to me that I am glad he messaged me four years ago. I met him on okcupid and I don't regret it at all. We did the long distance relationship and then when he proposed he moved into my parents house. Like any couple we have our ups and downs but we overcome them and are stronger for it. He still feels like a dream after all this time.

• I met my boyfriend online. It's weird but I wasn't desperate to be in a relationship. I was happy single but I wanted to meet you knew people, date a little, I though it was fun. When I met my boyfriend, I had met many guys before him and wasn't putting pressure at all. We happened to really like each other, we gave it a shot and we now live together. I never though, I would actually meet the one on a dating website.

I think you just don't have to take it too seriously.

• I've met my boyfriend through Okcupid and we'll be celebrating our 4 year anniversary this Feb. :p

• Congrats!! :)

• @RandomPerson1324

"(Insert cheesy desperate chat up line here lol ) so what employer is making you work Friday night? X"

Most of our ideologies matched up and his opening message was actually fun to reply to rather than the same old boring "hi how r u?".

• Was that his actual line? The thing that was in parenthesis?

• I'm skeptical as well, but I've been casually talking to a guy (only since yesterday, mind you) and he seems nice. So, skeptical with a sprinkle of hope. Not putting all my eggs in one basket, though.

However I do have a co-worker who started talking to someone on a dating website sometime during summer, drove 8 hours and spent a weekend with him, and they're still a... thing. They haven't really defined their relationship. They take turns visiting one another.

• I think online dating does work, I met my boyfriend (I have been dating him 4 years almost 5) and we have a great relationship even if we live in different places we have a strong relationship and talk when ever we can. It's really great and no my story is not for ad for any dating website my story is true.

• I have never tired it!

• I met my boyfriend on plenty of fish a year ago and he was the only one i met on that site and we are still together. Personally, i think you just need a lottt of patience. I know a lot of people think they need to book a date asap, but to me, i had to get to know someone for awhile before trusting them enough to meet them in real life. A lot of guys lost interest in me and thought i was wasting their time... i was just making sure we connected on some level and got to know each other. My boyfriend was the ONLY person who was completely genuine in my book☺️

• My mom met her husband from a dating website and my dad found his girlfriend who he's been dating for nearly 2 years that way too.

• I've had some nice LTR which began on Ok Cupid. Obviously, they didn't last and I also met some unpleasant guys but all things considered I found online dating to be a good experience. If heaven forbid, my boyfriend and I called it quits, I'd go back to Ok Cupid.

• Actually have been with my boyfriend for over a year now. I met him online. But I knew him 34 years ago when we were teenagers and we reconnected online.

• I had success with Plenty Of Fish. I met a great guy, it's still early stages but I wish I'd found him sooner. He's amazing.

• Personally I don't bring think online dating is bad. I mean I wasn't looking for someone. He just found me. 2 months and still steady even though he lives very far from me. I guess you just have to watch out for the weirdos, and search for the one's compatible with you.

• Well, it was like a month. He was nice. We stopped talking. End of the story lol

• I've never had any success with it. None of the relationships that came out of it, I was satisfied with. Not saying that it can't work for other people, it's just not for me

• My ex boyfriend cheated on me with a girl he met on pof and they are still together, 2 years later and yes I'm still single. Success story!!

• I don't know if this counts since I'm so young but I met my boyfriend online. I know don't start with the you're so young it's not safe crap. But it happened and it's not really safe for anyone to be totally honest. Just be careful. We've been together almost a year now and we're still going. It's been wonderful though.

• I wish you guys would specify which sites you met your SO on...

• A former friend of mine found her boyfriend that way :) Good can come from it, as long as you steer clear of all the bad cases

• I had good and bad experiences. After weeding out and falling in love a few times I found my current husband. There are a lot of people on dating sites for hook ups, that made it difficult for me because I wanted a relationship. I guess one has to experience it in order to know what it's like. Different people have different experiences.

• I've been in a relationship with a totally normal guy that I met on Tinder for the past year.

• I know for sure that it did work for some people!

• I never tried the online dating scene.

• Busy adults use it. Nothing crazy or desperate about that.

Crazy people exist on and off the internet. Why would you think your exposure to them would be limited to online only?

• Yeah i have a story.

Meet here but he was a girl! yeah a girl!

• Nope, all bad experiences. I wouldn't try it again.

• Well my experiences have been bad but just met some of the wrong guys who weren't serious at all. However my boyfriends (who I met in his place of work) brother has just gotten married to someone he met online years ago and they couldn't be happier :)

• My sister met her husband online a few years ago. Though she was definitely desperate to get married for whatever reason, so I guess you're right on that point.

• At the beginning all I encountered was creeps who were no where near my type and the ones I wanted didn't seem interested.

A year later I changed things up by putting a good photo and ONLY chatting with guys I had interest in. I didn't waste my time being 'nice' anymore.
    My results were 100% more successful but I wasn't ready to date as I though and I think the guy could sense that... Or he changed him mind about me I don't know we had 2 dates and I haven't heard much from him unless I text first.

I only went out with 1 guy and ima stop online dating and stick to RL

• Yeah, I tend to attract crazy mofos. Had this one guy fake being a cop and made up a sob story of how his dog died while on duty. People are utterly fucked online. Although my opinion is very biased because I haven't had a good experience.

• More from Girls
    3