Is it normal for a relationship to plateau?

When i say plateau, I mean when a relationship reaches its peak. My boyfriend recently broke up with me after 6 months because he felt that we had plateaued and there was no more excitement left for us. This bothered me a lot considering that we both still have the same amount of feelings and love for each other than before the break up. He figured that it would never resolve and we would end up hating each other?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not sure what you mean. You get into a routine if that's what you mean. All of life is that way including relationships.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. It's called getting used to each other and being comfortable around them. It's kind of like the difference between a house and a home. A home is a house that you are used to, and comfortable in. It's your safe place, your comfort zone, where you know where everything is. It's where you can relax and not feel like you have to put on a show.

Most Helpful Girl

• Totally normal, especially when it's a long term relationship.
    The excitement factor dies out after a while.
    This is why couples have to do things to rekindle it.
    The older a relationship is, the harder you have to work at it, for it to have the same spark that it did in the beginning.

I know, this probably isn't what you want to hear.
    But it's practical.
    The infatuation stage, (that of joy, pleasure, and excitement) only lasts for so long.

• Update : When people don't understand how relationships work they look at a plateau as a irregular phase or losing interest. In reality , that isn't always the case. This just means that your relationship is entering into a different phase. Love isn't always fireworks , amazement and excitement. It eventually becomes just loving another human being and enjoying their company. It becomes a normalized relationship where the spark can be re-created by doing the things you did in the beginning and more.
      The infatuation stage is usually over after six months.

What Guys Said 2

• No, it is not.

• Yeah. Once you stabilize a relationship, life continues. There's nothing wrong with it.

What Girls Said 1

• It's normal for a relationship to just chill out, not everything needs to be exciting all the time, change happens over time too.