Do I need to be worried about my boyfriends depression?

My boyfriend and I haven't been officially dating for a very long time, under a month. And last night he told me how much I mean to him (he used to struggle with depression) and he said he went from wanting to kill himself to just wanting to be with me and move forward in his life and that he hasn't felt this loved in a long time. Also, last night he told me he loved me, I love him too, I care about him so much, and I said it back, but I'm kinda worried like what if one day I let him down or something? I've never really dealt with people that have depression, so is this something I need to be very cautious of?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is potentially deadly and is the number one cause of suicide. If he takes his meds and they're the combination that works best for him then he should be more stable

Most Helpful Girl

• Are his family members familiar with his depression? Does he attend counseling? From the age bracket, you all are sadly at the age to be dealing with this, I've felt this way too. My thoughts get the better of me. Since I know you care about it even though it has been for a short amount of time, keep in touch with him at all times and if it worsens, make sure to alert his good friends and family members. At least he is trusting you with this information, this isn't something you'd share with everyone.

• Thanks, this helps me alot! He used to be really heavy into drinking and he's cut that out for 4 months now, and changed his friends to better people. I rarely drink so I don't have to worry about that, but he says since he's cut it out he also feels better. And I'm the only person who knows that he's wanted to kill himself. He told me that after 3 weeks of knowing eachother, so in a way, I'm kinda surprised that he decided to trust me so much right off the start. It was a shock actually, but his friends and family know about his depression to an extent

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• Be VERY cautious. Say you're open to talking about his issues and recommend counseling or sites like 7cupsoftea where they have online free counseling 24/7. Listen to his problems and show your support. Good luck!

• Depression can be so debilitating, and it's one of the worst things to struggle through. I suffered from severe depression in the past and in know how difficult it was for family and friends to be around me at that time. Some even distanced themselves from me, but I appreciate the ones who stood by me.

You can't worry about what might happen just focus on the " here and now". You can't constantly worry about letting him down, he'll deal with whatever he faces in his own way.