Does age matter in a relationship?

me and my boyfriend are 12 years different but whenever I tell someone they make a big deal out of it. My only problem is when we go out I don't like people looking at us weird cuz he is older then me

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the ages and the people. There's no right or wrong answer here. If you're happy together, great. But yeah, you're gonna have to get over the "people looking at you" deal. They're gonna look. He's 31 and you're 19. They'll be looking for a while.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think is not a problem. :)
    My ex is elder than me 10 years old, but he may keep good skin, so even if he looks elder, but still look normal when we go out.
    Actually the most important point is how you feel and he really love you, the life is yours, it's not other people's life.
    Nowadays lots of old man with young lady be couple, lots of people can understand this kind of couple, because girls like mature man.

What Guys Said 10

• Age doesn't matter.
    Age DIFFERENCE matters.

• In what way?

• It is difficult to be with someone so much older then me... But at the same time we level ourselfs and he helps me grow as I am still learning. while being with someone my age with no experience in life and is only interested in partying and isn't to sure about their goals in life won't help.

• Not all people your age are only interested in partying and aren't to sure about their goals in life.
      And his experience could turn out to be in your defavor.

• Mostly because it's impossible for you to have anything in common, so the primary assumption is that he is in it for the sex and you are in it for the free money.

• Yeah man lol thats a huge age gap in maturity.

• No when two consenting adults are involved in a relationship... Age and Age difference doesn't matter

• You really shouldn't date a 7-year-old.

• Over 18, no.
    Under 18, yes.

• It doesn't matter. Enjoy it.

• Having a much younger wife increases his perceived value dramatically.

• Age difference really matter.

• personally it does for me

What Girls Said 16

• My boyfriend is older too.
    If you're happy and you two get along just fine, it doesn't matter!
    And who care what other people think?

• It's fine lol you're 18 so it doesn't matter, next time someone tries to nave it their business just tell them to fuck themselves in the ass with a cactus ^=^

• At your age I think it does. There's so much you have left to do that he has done. You're basically skipping your 20s. Plus there's the added thing that most people that age know what they want and are looking to settle down. I mean, I dated a 27 year old and he was great, but I didn't date him again because I realized he has experiences under his belt that I don't have, and if I fell for him I probably would have gotten comfortable way too fast and ended up freaking marrying him or something. When you're mature it doesn't matter, but there's a definite maturity difference there.

• Among my friends' marriages, all of the BEST couples have an age difference between +5 and +14 years. Guy is older in all of them. (+14 is her second husband, but it's his first wife.)

By "the best couples", I mean they get along the best, they argue the least, they function most efficiently, they have the least petty issues, and they're just happiest together in general.

• It's not a problem :) my ex was 8 years older than me and I enjoyed being with him. He had more life experience and he was more mature than other guys my own age. I'm 22. So yeah, if you're happy and you like each other go for it! It only wouldn't be acceptable if he was like, 31 and you were 16 or something. But you're an adult so you can do as you please :)

• For me it does! Because I worry about power.

• I think it only matters if you're like 12 and he's 24. Otherwise, as long as you both are of appropriate age (over 18) and happy then it doesn't really matter at all.

• It depends on the people, my boyfriend is older than me too (4 years) and it's no impact. My father is 15 years older than my mother and she found it really difficult later on with modern technology explaining some things that just weren't around while he was growing up.

So no, it doesn't matter as long as they two adults are happy to be together but it could potentially make things annoying as they will be at different life stages than the other.

• No age doesn't matter, and I feel people should mind their own business. Judging others and all but that's people for you.

• just think about it this way, 19... and 31. While you look beautiful like a flower, while he probably has a beard already looks like he's in his 30's... Police catches y'all I don't think they would be okay with it.

• It has a lot to do with maturity. Being so far apart in age you would be at different stages in your life, but my grandparents were 26 years apart and they stayed together for the rest of their lives so it can work out

• It doesn't matter, my first boyfriend is actually 4 years older than me. But if people are telling you that you should break up with him and stuff. No, don't. If you true-ly love him, don't let the judges tell you what do you do.

• If you're both in love, and together for the right reasons, screw what others think! But you have to recognize in that type of age difference relationship people are bound to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and hit you with their opinions.

• Yes, it does.
    But who cares? Both of you are adults.

• People always stare at my boyfriend and I because we are opposites. We're happy though and that's all that matters.

• You are 19 he is 31. Age does not matter bur age difference does. That's pretty huge generation gap. I don't see what a 31 year old would want from a 19 year old other than sex. You left high school few years ago

• Personally I don't care if a guy is in his 30s but if he looks old it's not attractive at all. Eminem is in his 40s. I'm 24 and I would date eminem in a heartbeat but eminem looks young and he takes care of his body