Would you date someone who's abstinent but has had sex before? Even if they're a single parent?

So I have a guy friend who is having a really hard time keeping a girlfriend. He has a child, full custody of her, so he's got that against him.
On top of that, seeing as he doesn't want kids until he gets married, along with other reasons, he wants to wait until marriage to have sex again.

Surprisingly, his dates are not ok with this. A similar thing like this happened to some of my female friends, guys thought it was either dumb/pointless/or "too late" for her to wait until marriage seeing as she already had a child.

So what about you GaGgers? What do you think of this? Would you be willing to date someone who's had sex before but decided that they wanted to be abstinent? Would them having a kid already affect your decision? Does it matter that you are or aren't a virgin? I know many virgins prefer other virgins.

• VIRGINS: Yes, even if they are a single parent. I am a virgin.
  • NON VIRGINS: Yes, even if they are a single parent. I am NOT a virgin.
  • VIRGINS: Yes, but only if they didn't have kids. I am a virgin.
  • NON VIRGINS: Yes, but only if they didn't have kids. I am NOT a virgin.
  • VIRGINS: No I would not. I am a virgin.
  • NON VIRGINS: No I would not. I am NOT a virgin.
  • BOTH VIRGINS AND NON: I don't really know. It depends.

Most Helpful Guy

• To me, neither the fact they had a kid or that they didn't want sex before marriage would be a problem. If the click were there love would be in the air <3
    The fact there is a kid would make me careful to only make it "a relationship" when I was really sure. To avoid getting a bond with the kid for 3 months and than leaving. When he or she has already lost a daddy :o

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 8

• Done it and while its fine i guess. Eventually things become a little stale after some time, around the 6month-1 year mark.

If she's finding other ways to physically connect thats great, if not then it just feels odd. BUT at the end of the day it depends the reasons - if its because she wants to improve our relationship so lets wait because it can help us OR is she doing it because she already has too much dirty meaningless sex and now wants to feel better about herself.

If its the first, thats not so bad... if its the second (most of the times it is) then it feels like a joke

• I don't mind dating an abstinent woman, but I am highly unlikely to date a single parent.

• ""thought it was either dumb/pointless/or "too late" for her to wait until marriage seeing as she already had a child.""

Yes, that's exactly what I think as well.

• They probably don't want to deal with the burden of a single parent as a partner as well as thinking they are hypocrites for having had sex already obviously, but wanting to wait until marriage.

• Hell no. You did that with them but not with me?

• If the child was a girl, yes.

• Yeah I wouldn't. I see no point in not enjoying a good sex life.

• Honestly, as a virgin, I would not.

What Girls Said 6

• "He has a child, full custody of her, so he's got that against him"

The fuck planet does this guy live on?

When our babies were infants and my husband walked around with them, women would emerge from the whole landscape to pounce upon him, like spontaneous generation. They spouted from the seas and the earth. They dropped from the skies.

I mean, he's never much short on female admirers anyway, but when he's with a baby or small child OMG JESUS.

A baby should not be an impediment to, erm, slaying pussy. He might have to very carefully filter through women, to find someone who's not going to be a crazy psycho bitch stepmother... but I just cannot possibly imagine that your words are true words.

I don't understand his not wanting to have sex. Do not get. Does not compute. May be problem with girl brain. Perhaps slut brain. (:

• I'm not a virgin and I don't believe in waiting until marriage and I won't wait for someone else.
    People do what they want as long as they're not pushing that believe on me.

• I'm a virgin. I wouldn't date someone who's trying to be abstinent. I would respect your ambitions. However, that isn't a personal goal of mine. I wasn't to see if we connect sexually. It may not the most important aspect of a relationship, but it does play a pivotal role.

• I don't mind that he is a single parent. It will bother me that he wouldn't want sex with me. If he avoids sex for the kids, we can use birth control and condoms.

• I'm a virgin, I don't want to date a single parent, too young for that

• I understand why people would not be okay with that; however, I am a virgin, I intend on staying abstinent until marriage, and I would have no issues with this situation. The child might be a little intimidating, but if I really liked the guy, I think it's possible that I could really love the child.