As a non-driving college dude, where would you take someone for a date?

I've decided to actually try to get into the game of dating.
However, my lone experience with a date was a really awkward hike back in a little Alaskan village, and sit-coms ;)
Now I'm in town, on campus, single and ready to mingle :D
However, I don't drive just yet, and I'm not exactly drenched in cash at the moment.
Help a poor inexperienced kid out, any ideas?
Options I've got so far are:
Hiking: Free, but requires transportation, I can handle taking the bus, a prospective date may not have great transport. Is also an event that would likely require getting to know her first (who's going up a mountain with someone they don't know?)
Coffee on campus: Central area for both parties, but requires both money and is not extremely interesting or personal.
Movie: Requires transportation, is expensive with or without concessions, and is neither very interesting nor personal.
Ideas people?
Thanks!

House is kinda undesirable at the moment, and I live with my sis, so that's not the best way to go.
After this summer I'll have access to a vehicle, I just have to wait for my license til I'm 18 so i don't have to shell out for insurance before it's really worth it.

Most Helpful Girl

• "who's going up a mountain with someone they don't know?"

Huh? Why not? Hiking doesn't set off the "oh shit serial rapistmurderer" alarm.

When my husband and I first met, we had exactly 14 hours together before we became a long distance relationship. At some point in there, we found a kids' playground together, and, well, played. On the playground. At like 2 in the morning. I almost got stuck in a plastic slide, because plastic slides are not made for adult women who are over six feet tall.
    Kids' playgrounds are free.

Old buildings, churches and cathedrals are free. Sometimes they're full of scary ghosts and shit. From which you can offer her your manly protective services.

You could go to a thrift store, pick out ridiculous outfits for each other, and make each other try them on. No guilt if you don't buy, since it's all used clothing anyway.

You can also just walk around the streets and make fun of people.

• Haahahaha: "manly protective services"

• @mikemx55 Context clues are a thing. Not my fault. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• not driving is actually a good game changer from time to time, cause you can make the end of the walk vigorous to the point you give her a piggy back ride all the way home. walk to coffee, then entertainment, then hiking, hopefully she's drained at that point and you're still pulling strong, then carry her and talk and laugh the entire way home.

What Girls Said 13

• Depending on the weather, you can choose these dates below:

Good Weather:
    - Have a picnic at a grassy area on campus
    - Go for a walk/jog around campus
    - Watch the sunset together
    - Go to a festival/fair

Bad Weather:
    - Stay in your dorm/apartment for a movie
    - Bake cookies together
    - Visit your town's local museum (Sometimes museums are free admission)
    - Go sledding
    - Stay indoors for a video game night

***I wouldn't do a movie. That's just spending 2 hours awkwardly sitting next to each other wondering if I should hold her hand or put my arm around her... and then not talk at all lol A first date should be the time where you want to get to know the person. Hope this helps!

• Baking cookies sounds fun, but it can sound so awkward: "Hey uhmm.. You want to bake some cookies together? o. o"

And it does sound kinda creepy if i ask a girk: "Hey, want to come into my room?"

How can i make these better sounding?

• @Dipsy woah I know this was like 24 days ago, sorry about that. But yeah, as the guy starting off... you should plan the date. I wouldn't ask her what she wanted to do unless you guys have been dating for a while. You planning the date shows that you want to make an effort to have a good time :) Again, sorry I'm late replying lol

• Np for late reply :P
      But ok i understand what you mean xD

• I don't drive on campus, and I would be 100% ok if a guy and I took the bus somewhere. There's a thriving downtown just a few minutes from main campus though, so I could just walk somewhere. If there's anything close, you could walk to lunch. I know that may sound weird to some people, but for me, campus is soooo close to eating and shopping.

You live in an apartment? Prepare a lunch, get help if you need it, and eat on the campus lawn. Really cute first date. Maybe bring a fun game like apples to apples or something.

Then, if your school does this, you could go to a free school movie and/or a free food event.

• - if there is a park / lake nearby and you have a bike / rollerblades / scooter , a nice walk or ride could be fun.
    - picnics are always quite fun (not to mention there's food, any place with food is cool haha)
    - if there's an ice rink nearby, ice skating is super fun. Or sledging. or a snowball fight. Just make sure to get hot cocoa after. ;)
    - going to the zoo (some aren't expensive) or museum (some are free)
    - most romantic option (but might be too cheesy, but hey I'm a hopeless romantic) going star gazing is free and pretty awesome. or watching the sunset or something
    - if she likes you, I think she won't really care where you take her. Good luck :)

• Never take a date to the movie theater. It is so impersonal and defeats the "getting to know each other". You said money and spending is out of the question. Why not prepare a picnic, make it quite romantic. Bring a blanket to lay down on floor. Etc. You said transportation is an issue so make it somewhere near where your date lives if she can't drive. Meet up. Never have her take public transportation especially on first date leaves bad impression. 👍 luck tho

• I'm of no help and I'm sorry but I just came to read the opinions lol. When I read the question my first impression was " oh man I don't know" then I read the guys opinion and they have some pretty strong game lmao 😂. Thinking about it now, there's many fun things you could do without a car. And @bertmacklinfbi really knows his stuff!! Well goodluck and I hope your date goes wonderfully :)

• just take them hiking and plan a sandwhich outing! haha

• My boyfriend doesn't have a car either but our first date was taking an Uber around downtown, first to a Mexican restaurant he really liked (where he introduced me to mole 😋) then to a movie theater where we didn't really watch the movie XD It was great. I went home dazzled by his amazing kissing skills and light headed from his gentle voice whispering in my ear... Now here we are a year later and I love him even more ❤️

• I agree with a picnic! Have the picnic somewhere nice ( and quiet) on campus. Cheap, romantic and she will love it. Don't worry about the car. Most students ( who don't rely on Mummy and Daddy) can't afford a car. And there is no shame in that!.

• A walk in a nearby bark? A picnic? Bring your own tee/coffee in a thermos bottle.
    Riding a bike in a park?

• Walk to a park. Picnic.

• take the bus down town or to a movie

• U could always set up the date at ur house... flowers, dinner, movies

• I would go with a hike and maybe a picnic!

I don't know about others, but I do enjoy a nice walk and talk date. So if you are down town or something, I would walk around and window shop, while talking. This way, get to know the town, maybe get to see some cool new things and get to know the guy.

What Guys Said 12

• Okay--so, if she's okay meeting in the evening or at night, then somehow meet her, maybe get food or dinner somewhere. If you don't wanna spend money on a whole meal, just go to some dessert type place or whatever.

After that, just wander around town doing random shit until late at night! If she likes you, she'll enjoy that, because you'll mostly just be talking and walking around. If she seems bored the whole time, she doesn't like you, and she isn't worth it.

And yeah, having a car makes it a million times easier. The very first time I hung out with a girl, just the two of us, outside school or work, was literally the week I got my license.
    And a few months after that, I got to hang out with my crush, then again a few weeks later, then we got lunch a few weeks after that. Funny thing is... I wouldn't have asked her to hang out if I didn't have a car, but she insisted on picking me up every time!

Good luck bro.

• Avoid the movie theater at all costs. Go star gazing near her house, coffee and a walk, borrow a car ('I did this in my college years driving a mini van lol), dinner at your place sounds like a third date type location. If you can dance find a place thats lit up and can play music off your phone. Dancing kills it every time and it's a good touch breaker. Good luck bro

• get a take out meal and find a nice little romantic park or spot on campus. get some candles and spread out a blanket. buy a cheap bottle of champagne if you drink. she'll like the effort

• Instead of piddling around make sure your girl knows about your transportation issues. If she is still interested after knowing u dont have wheels you know you have a decent one right there. (only do this if its your girlfriend or a potential one) Try having a movie night. Or coffie. Maybe go to the mall so u can see what she is interested in. If your campus haves plays or music performances i reccomend that. Or you can have a walk around the quad. Be creative and do things that not only are fun but allow you to get to know her more. Once you had say 3 or 4 dates challenge her to come up with some ideas. (i was in your situation and i did this and now i have a pretty good girlfriend we have been dation for almost a month!) but then again you me and women in general are different. Good luck buddy!

• What about a picnic on a campus green?

• I'd go with the hiking option. I've known girls who would definitely go on a hiking first-date but it depends on the girl. Think of it this way, who wants to spend a lot of time and/or effort trying to get to know someone so timid they can't even go on a hike? Nothing's guaranteed but that is the most interesting option.

• See if your school has any Zipcars on campus. You could get a membership and rent a car by the hour once more money starts coming in for you.

• How about finding some interesting on-campus activities?

For example, lots of campuses often have art shows, interesting guest lecturers, plays, etc. Maybe you could find one that catches your eye.

• I don't drive so i don't date

but when i do i give gas money and we go for a walk or eat or museums, movies, bowl etc etc

• Tell your sis to take a hike for the night and fix dinner for you and your date.

• you gotta chick fil a near by?

• Nature always do the job very well, or something active.

• To a used car lot so we can get you a car