Have you ever seen someone and felt the bottom of your heart drop out, you were filled with a longing to be with that person, and you sensed a connection that was unlike anything you had previously experienced? Many people call that "love at first sight."
I think love is more than simply a feeling or longing. Love is also based on an appreciation for a person's character, their strengths, their abilities, their nurturing and protectiveness, and many other qualities that cannot be discerned simply by looking at them. "Love," as I define it, requires knowing someone and it cannot happen instantly or over the course of one or two dates. No, when people feel "love at first sight," I think they are probably feeling lust and a stronger than normal desire, mixed with the hope that this person MIGHT be The One.
Have you ever felt "love at first sight?" If so, did you eventually experience a relationship with that person? Was it really love that you felt or did you realize that your feelings were something other than love?
- I have never been in love.31% (19)20% (8)26% (27)Vote
- I have never felt love at first sight.29% (18)27% (11)28% (29)Vote
- I have felt love at first sight but I never actually spent any time with the object of my desires.15% (9)24% (10)18% (19)Vote
- I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and we determined that we were NOT compatible.5% (3)2% (1)4% (4)Vote
- I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, we determined that we were compatible but it never developed into feelings of love.2% (1)5% (2)3% (3)Vote
- I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and one of us felt love but the other did not.5% (3)10% (4)7% (7)Vote
- I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and we really were in love with each other.13% (9)12% (5)14% (14)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
Yes, I have experienced what many people must call "love at 1st sight".
However, I do not believe it was love (not right away), but it was like an a connection of souls. Like our souls recognized each other.
It's difficult to explain, but when I met my current boyfriend (it was in a chatroom and we didn't see each other at 1st), I felt this connection, an incredible feeling of trust (I mean I told him some of the most hurtful experiences I had in my life and he did the same, I dont even know how the conversation got there, but it felt so natural and not forced!) and also this peace and calmness.
We started dating from that very day we met. I am a very reserved person that never had a boyfriend before and also I never considered doing the online thing, as I tend to be very practical and of course that dating online can be risky. But with him, I felt like saying yes. I did not want to refuse and that is not normal for me at all.
I should add that although we did not see each other at 1st, eventually he showed me some pictures as our conversation developed and I could look at his expression, smile, eyes and it was like I could see the kind of person he was, his essence. And I liked what I saw :)
It's so weird and this probably is sounding so lame too.
He felt the same thing about me and he even told me that in the day he met me, however weird it may be, something told me I was the one.
I don't know where the future will take us, since we are long distance and from different cultures and religions.
But, we have been together for almost 2 years now and I have been nothing other than happy. My feelings about him proved to be right. He's wonderful and we understand each other so well. I love him. I am enjoying what we have, because it would be too painful not to be together.
So, I dont believe in love at 1st sight, because that can't be love. But I do believe in unexplainable connections at 1st sight or talk :D
Love comes with knowing the other person and knowing yourself in the relationship dynamic. I am sure I loved him before I even realised it, but it is simply not possible to love without enough time.
Sorry for my Looooong text4
- Show AllShow Less