Have you ever experienced something that you considered to be "love at first sight"?

Have you ever experienced something that you considered to be Have you ever seen someone and felt the bottom of your heart drop out, you were filled with a longing to be with that person, and you sensed a connection that was unlike anything you had previously experienced? Many people call that "love at first sight."

I think love is more than simply a feeling or longing. Love is also based on an appreciation for a person's character, their strengths, their abilities, their nurturing and protectiveness, and many other qualities that cannot be discerned simply by looking at them. "Love," as I define it, requires knowing someone and it cannot happen instantly or over the course of one or two dates. No, when people feel "love at first sight," I think they are probably feeling lust and a stronger than normal desire, mixed with the hope that this person MIGHT be The One.

Have you ever felt "love at first sight?" If so, did you eventually experience a relationship with that person? Was it really love that you felt or did you realize that your feelings were something other than love?

• I have never been in love.
  • I have never felt love at first sight.
  • I have felt love at first sight but I never actually spent any time with the object of my desires.
  • I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and we determined that we were NOT compatible.
  • I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, we determined that we were compatible but it never developed into feelings of love.
  • I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and one of us felt love but the other did not.
  • I have felt love at first sight, I spent time with the object of my desires, and we really were in love with each other.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I have experienced what many people must call "love at 1st sight".

However, I do not believe it was love (not right away), but it was like an a connection of souls. Like our souls recognized each other.

It's difficult to explain, but when I met my current boyfriend (it was in a chatroom and we didn't see each other at 1st), I felt this connection, an incredible feeling of trust (I mean I told him some of the most hurtful experiences I had in my life and he did the same, I dont even know how the conversation got there, but it felt so natural and not forced!) and also this peace and calmness.

We started dating from that very day we met. I am a very reserved person that never had a boyfriend before and also I never considered doing the online thing, as I tend to be very practical and of course that dating online can be risky. But with him, I felt like saying yes. I did not want to refuse and that is not normal for me at all.

I should add that although we did not see each other at 1st, eventually he showed me some pictures as our conversation developed and I could look at his expression, smile, eyes and it was like I could see the kind of person he was, his essence. And I liked what I saw :)

It's so weird and this probably is sounding so lame too.

He felt the same thing about me and he even told me that in the day he met me, however weird it may be, something told me I was the one.

I don't know where the future will take us, since we are long distance and from different cultures and religions.

But, we have been together for almost 2 years now and I have been nothing other than happy. My feelings about him proved to be right. He's wonderful and we understand each other so well. I love him. I am enjoying what we have, because it would be too painful not to be together.

So, I dont believe in love at 1st sight, because that can't be love. But I do believe in unexplainable connections at 1st sight or talk :D

Love comes with knowing the other person and knowing yourself in the relationship dynamic. I am sure I loved him before I even realised it, but it is simply not possible to love without enough time.

Sorry for my Looooong text

• No apology necessary! I enjoyed your explanation of how the relationship unfolded. Good luck!

• It's complicated, but it has to do with parents not knowing

If I called him it would b registered on the phone bill and that has gotten me in trouble before...

But Thank you for listening. I was feeling bad, so this stuff got out. You're a sweety, even if we haven't talked much yet.

Most Helpful Guy

• Voted B. I have never felt love at fist sight. It was only attraction or lust. I just can't fall in love with someone based on only their appearance, without knowing them as a person.

What Girls Said 16

• While I don't necessarily believe in love at first sight, I have experienced an inexplicable instantaneous connection the second we made eye contact for the first time. To this day, I can't quite explain it. I have spent my life being extremely social, meeting new people, and interacting with others on a large scale but never have I encountered something like that. There was an effortless chemistry that usually has to be developed over time. It's like there was a magnetism and out of all the 130 or so people there, we couldn't help but be drawn to each other.

• I remember this one day I was in the car waiting for my mother. She was taking so long and I was into the song that was playing (Chris deburgh- Lady in Red) I was singing it I thought no one was looking but then my sister tells me, shut up that guy keeps looking at you, so I got a little nervous and lower it down and just acted normal, then he kept turning and turning and I must say he was handsome! I just smiled because I was so embarrassed then my mother got in the car and had to leave so nothing much happened

• Did you think it was love at first sight, or was it lust, or something else?

• No not love at first sight, just that with the look we gave each other it felt like some sort o connection. Wouldn't say live at first sight because I know nothing about him but felt this nice sensation

• I have certainly met a few ladies who aroused instant and strong desires in me, but it wasn't love. And that is the point of this question, that what you feel in an initial meeting can't be love because you don't even know the person.

• not love first site as I think love requires time effort nurturing patience care respect in action not just as ann idea.

but I've definitely had an instant connection wherein i thought i could imagine falling in love.. and a few months or a year later i find out i was correct

• I have on three separate occasions but only one amounted to a relationship.

• How did that one relationship develop? Was it love, lust, or something else?

• @HookingSwan yup :)

• Lucky

I can sense by the way u speak of him that u are very much in love

So happy for you

• love might be too extreme, but crzy attraction, infatuation at first sight - yes, more than once. Haven't really worked out so yeah, there are other real factors except feelings important to make a relationship work, but without that inital chemistry it woulnd't work for me either

• I have lusted but nah! I don't fall in love with looks but personality! Look are a plus!

• Two guys I fell hard for. At first I saw them as friends but a few months later bam I was so into them. Totally in love but they did not see me in that way. When I was younger I met a guy who liked me just as much as I liked him from the first day we met. It was amazing to have that connection where you feel the same way. It didn't work out because he lived too far away.

• i don't think it was love at first. just something... odd. i was at a library once, waiting on line to check out a book and there was another dude on another line about fifteen feet away, and I don't know, somehow our eyes met and we stayed like that for like... a whole minute. or maybe longer. just looking at each other. it was odd, but also kind of interesting. prolonged eye contact with a stranger.

• I've never been in love with anyone, I also don't believe in love at first sight. I believe in infatuation and attraction that can grow into love, maybe quickly for some.

• I never experienced it. It takes time for me to fall in love, at least a month!

• yeeesssssssssssssssssssss

• Nah, I personally don't believe in that.

• No not love maybe lust at first sight. It is not possible love someone you don't know.

• I've neber been in love and hopefully never will

• Why do you wish to never experience love? It makes an older person sad to hear that from someone as young as you.

• sorry but I can't believe in love. Yeah, people do fall i love but I don't think "happily ever after" exists

• There are two types of people who say that love does not exist:

1. people who have never experienced love, and

2. people who have been horribly hurt in love.

Almost everyone who has ever been in love has been hurt. Some have their lives shattered and they never return to a normal existence, but most continue with determination of be more careful and to find one who is more deserving of their love.

I hope that you will experience the journey!

• It doesn't exist.

• I've really really wanted to have sex with someone at first site, but past high school it's not easy to confuse that with love, which takes time.

What Guys Said 6

• Alright, I'm going to be honest, I encountered SOMETHING like this, but not in the way it's often portrayed in media.

My last girlfriend, before we even talked, we first met at a party, we didn't even talk to each other once, at ALL. But I remember looking at her across the table and I remember having the WEIRDEST feeling, like, not like a "oh she is hot" kind of feeling, it was this weird, like "I know this girl from somewhere" and "I don't know why but something tells me somewhere down the line my life is going to become entangled with this girl's life" kind of feeling. It was a super weird feeling, like some real Jedi shit that I couldn't quite shake.

Here's the thing, this feeling never came around when I saw other girls I found attractive. I just would meet them, casually say hi, and never see them again. But for some reason, THIS girl, who I didn't even talk to or even make direct eye contact with, let alone spoke a word to, gave off this super weird vibe.

Anyway, she ended up finding me through my friend and we started talking and we were in a relationship for like 5 years, just thought I had to mention this because it felt appropriate.

• I assume that she is now an ex. Five years is a long time. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

• It is weird. Haha but so nice to hear i experienced that

I am also sorry it didn't work out

• I don't believe in that "love at first sight" stuff. Then again, I've never been in love (to be honest, I don't really want to). Even so, I highly doubt that being in love will change my opinion on that.

• I have experienced that 3 times and it wasn't just lust, because i actually wanted to have a relationship with them. Unfortunatelly none of them turn out to anything. I was so much into them, that i messed up; always happens to me.

• Nah. I'm just extremely dense.

• I don't believe you can fall in love with a person without knowing their personality. So B. Attraction at first sight is entirely possible, but not love.

• yeah i have. long story short: friendzone...