Would you even date a deaf guy?

Hello, I'm almost 22 years old and I find it hard to date because of communication barriers. I feel that I should give up on relationship thing, because I just have been rejected by a girl again. She knew sign language, but it's just hard to move on and it's hard to find someone who knows sign language or accept my deafness. I just don't know what to do, because relationships are hard to deal with and I don't have good experience with it. Would you, hearing girls, even date a deaf guy who uses sign language only?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can honestly say I would. I know a little sign, and would of course need to learn more, but if the person was worth it, why not. The reality though, is that both of us would need to be very patient with one another. I think most of the trouble between the hearing and deaf worlds comes from one or the other or both becoming frustrated with the communication and giving up, but both sides would need to realize that its difficult not just for the deaf person, but for the hearing person as well to acclimate towards one another and to find ways to communicate effectively, not just in the good times, but in the bad times as well. Technology helps, but it can also be a barrier to effective communication if you always have to lean on a device to talk to one another. All that being said, I'm not going to pretend its not most likely harder for you in the dating world especially when it comes to dating hearing girls, but like the rest of us out in the dating pool, you can't give up hope. All you can do is keep trying, keep dating, and hopefully the right one for you will come along.

Most Helpful Guy

• If the question was the other way around, yes I would (because I know ASL) and I like the sense of humour, honest and bluntness that often comes with people in the Deaf community.

@ScruffyNateAK has the right idea. You need to socialise and meet people. There are still Deaf Clubs these days, if you know where to look. The college I went to would organise nights out for dinner and everyone, students and deafies, were invited to come along and hang out and chat (voice off!). I also used to go to a weekly drop in social night run by a deaf LGBTQ organization.

It really depends on where you live, a bigger city is more likely to have more events like this. I am on a mailing list for my city and get an email every month or so listing all the upcoming events. Look for Facebook groups too.

• Ignores LGBTQ. he's a Deaf Straight! Motherfucking.

• @Xi3s3r And I'm a hearing straight! I was still welcome at the social night! Anyone who knew ASL or was willing to learn was!

What Girls Said 32

• Beware, deaf people are VERY VERY BLUNT. There is not much subtlety in sign communication. It is very easy to get your feelings hurt, or to think that they are assholes/jerks/etc.
    This is not a personality trait. It results from the fact that sign language just doesn't have that many words. You have to deal.

The deaf people I've known LOVE going to clubs with deep bass, or other reverb. And hanging out in cars with same. Fyi.

Also, obviously deaf people do not think much about the sounds that they make, which means they tend to make lots of pretty base, animalistic noises during sex. I've heard a deaf girl get fucked and, lemme tell you, it was pretty hot.

• from saying sign lang. only are you saying you can't read or write stuff on paper? for me i would have no issue dating a deaf person. honestly don't see why some one would care. Being deaf doesn't make you look bad for fucks sakes you can't even see it. I'm sure its rather cute tbh. I'm sure its cute when you like someone and your just staring happily. Is one of those moments were I squeal inside and do a happy dance because I caught him checking me out. no worries bud girls suck sometimes you'll find someone

• Yes I would. I know a little bit of ASL, probably enough to at least hold a conversation, but regardless I wouldn't let the fact that someone is deaf keep me from being in a relationship with them.

And please don't give up on the relationship thing. I'm sure you'll find a girl who will love you no matter what

• I dated a guy that was hard of hearing for almost a year. I also didn't know sign language at the time... It was an interesting attempt at having a long term relationship. I liked him, because it was a challenge to be with him, but he also understood me in a different way. Although, I could tell their was a barrier between us after a while, I realized it wasn't going to go away.

I'd do it again, if I weren't married now lol He did teach that it is good to learn sign language, because you never know if your child will be able to hear or if you will lose hearing later on.

• Oh totally! I just got done watching America's next top model cycle 22, in which a deaf man (Nyle DiMarco) was participating. He was such a sweetheart and learning about his story was so interesting to me. Yes it would require more effort on my end because I would most likely have to learn sign language, but in my opinion that would be a fun aspect of the relationship. It would be nice to make progress and see him get excited over me learning how to communicate with him in his way.

• I understand people assume if you are deaf you can't write English or if you are mute you can write English but true is few deaf and mute people can write well

when i was going to classes I met this deaf and mute girl
    the guy liked me he would come up to me when he saw me and say hi and we would sign some things and write some down but the girl didn't like me much when ever i try to communicate with her she seemed annoyed

it's not hard to date a person who knows a different language from you it's just that people are unwilling to do so

i would date a deaf or mute boy

• Sure, I would give it a shot. We'd just have to learn to work with each other communication-wise while I learned sign language.

• Yeah, I'd be open to that.

• I would. I actually learned a little bit of sign language when i was younger. I never got the opportunity to actually use it, so i didn't retain most of it. Regardless, i would make an effort to learn the language for a relationship.

• what is you were young? already of waste time without dating or foreplay to Deaf.
      today he is not longer opportunity to you, he's very ignore, never return.

• Yeah I would! But it be hard to get in the mood!

• I would. We could still communicate through sign language. Although it would be tough for me in the bedroom where I am very vocal. :/

• I would try to. I don't know sign language though, but I'd try to learn for him.

• Yes. It would take some getting used to, but of course.

• yeah, but I need to communicate

• I know I would.. I have been fluently talking to my dear sister since I was seven so I'm used to it

• Depends
    Filler

• Yea why not.
    I mean currently i would because 1] im taken 2] i dont know sign language.

But if god forbid i became single. And when i finally learn asl.
    I totally would.

• I would. I love to be around people who communicate in different ways. My aunt is deaf so I have learned some sign language, but i am up for learning more and a new experience.

• Yes. I would try to find out how I can commincate with them, since I don't know sign lanuge, but I do want to learn it.

• If I knew sign language, I might.

• Yes I would.

• I would date someone who's deaf. I mean I don't know sign language but if I really liked someone I wouldn't care. And if it was serious enough I'd probably make an attempt at learning sign

• I'd try, of course I'd have to learn sign language

• i would
    it just means communicating in different modes

• That wouldn't be a problem for me. I would actually take the time to learn sign language.

• If I knew sign language and I liked the guy for his personality I would. I don't care if he has communication problems. If he is a guy at I like then I would date him

• Totally. I mean I've never had an expierence like that before but I'm pretty sure I would honestly. If you really care about someone I don't see why it would be an issue.

• 💯 I would

• Yes! But only if they have the patience to teach me sigh language.

• Yes, of course I would.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 9

• It's easy for a bunch of strangers on the internet to appear noble and say they will give you a chance but it's a completely different thing fir them to actually follow through if they actually had an opportunity to date a deaf guy.

Realistically it probably does narrow your prospects but I think it's probably better to be deaf than it is to be ugly. So if your other qualities are good enough to compensate then you should be able to find someone. It might just be harder take solace in knowing that there's LOTS of other people who struggle with relationships too. Also maybe try to find another deaf girl, shed probably be more likely to accept you.

• I'm Deaf, I wouldn't date the Deaf girls, because they're very STUBBORN, doesn't ready to relationship or foreplay fast.

• Blessing in disguise

You will never hear her nag at you or tell dumb stories. All she can do is get mad and throw fingers up at you lol.

• Pro-tip, sign up for an ASL class every semester and help chicks with their homework ;)
    But seriously, I can see how that'd be really rough.
    Would I date a deaf girl?
    I think the answer is yes.
    Communication is the biggest barrier here, but with this day and age, most communication is tech based, so getting to know her shouldn't be too difficult. It's just that personal connection that may be hard.
    I hope it works out man.

• This should be a poll

• I can still communicate with a deaf person, I don't see why we couldn't have a relationship be it romantic or not.

• Deaf guy? No. Deaf gal? Sure. It will take some time for me to learn sign language.

• I would date a deaf girl if we had a strong connection.

• You should be fine i think.

• I don't understand what I read their Girl's message "I would, I would" does nothing connect to you in internet. they're Dumbass. I know feel you Deaf bro.

I'm Deaf, I've been talk Girls teenage are still shy learn communicate me Sign Language.
    until 18 old experience, what really they're ready foreplay to me. ;)