Is it okay to sleep with one person while dating other people? And does age difference really matter these days?

I am single and am at the point of wanting to date other men. I have slept with a guy friend who likes me and we are not at all exclusive. I am going to be truthful to him that I would like to casually date other men. Just want to know if I should tell him or not? If so how do I tell him? I want to see others as this guy friend of mine is 29 and I am 46. Does age really matter these days? I have wasted my time with dating one guy at a time. To only find out that most want friends with benefits package and/or do not want a long term relationship. I do like my guy friend however want to keep my options open as well as I do not want to waste any more precious time being hopeful that "This is the one" to be only heartbroken again.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have never dated casually. At every time in my life when I was dating, I was exclusive (whether I made it known or not) from the first date. I then dated that person until the relationship ended. This applied whether it was one date or my first marriage. Even when I was dating on eHarmony, I still followed this rule. I met my current wife there, and again, we have been exclusive from the first date.

If you want to see other guys that's fine. You just won't be seeing me. Also, I have never resumed dating someone I had been seeing but broke off with. You get on shot at exclusivity with me and that's it.

I'm far from the only guy that thinks this way. Your approach to dating, should you adopt it, may wind up being hugely counter-productive. The guys most inclined to pursuing a serious relationship with you are the least likely to accept that you are dating other men much less having sex with them.

I would never shame someone, or belittle them, or attempt to control their behavior.

But...

I would never consent to date under those conditions, no matter how highly I thought of you, no matter what you thought of me. If you are going to be with multiple men, that's fine. I just won't be one of them.

Most Helpful Girl

• So... You want to cheat. If you're with someone then you're with them, they should know if you're screwing around with other guys.

• Not really, that is called non monogamy.

• Something both people in the relationship should agree to.

• She should also tell the guys she goes on dates with that she's sleeping with someone.

What Guys Said 8

• Been there, done that but the judgement is much harder on a guy than a gal.
    As a temporary arrangement - not married - morally I think it A-OK since shopping around has only been confusing and this purpose is to finally make up your mind... in weeks, not months/years!

As practical... not so good. Beyond STDs and preg issues, there's too much drama, more confusion and lying/coverup taking more space out of living life than warranted... more sex = less satisfaction and for some leads to addiction, then all goals to mate are lost.

Bottom line =
    temporarily mostly OK
    permanent mostly a timebomb

• That's not cool at all. If you want to date multiple people at once that's fine but sleeping with a guy and dating others is not cool. I dumped a girl for this a year after we were exclusive when I found out she was like this in the initial dates.

• usually one goes from dating multiple people and narrowing it down, you want to go from one person and expand it.

I might feel bummed if I was the guy.

Why don't you ask him if he's seeing other people? Or ask him what he thinks the nature of your relationship is, since it seems to be ambiguous atm.

My general rule of thumb is there is no expectation of exclusivity absent a discussion and an agreement.

• Nosire tell him or dont, its up to you. And yes age does matter. Always will as the mind has a certain progression during our lifetimes.

• yes i feel it is wrong to sleep with someone other than the one your dating its call cheating. regarding age i dont think it matter if both party's are happy

• He'll be fine with it. It's not like you were exclusive. Just tell him straight out.

• He will be fine because he doesn't care. Its the men she will be dating who she will wronging.

• I think confirming you're not monogamous with him is fine.

The guys who date you would dump you and never look back though if they knew you were casually dating them while causally sleeping with someone else.

• I figure at a stage where you feel that you would be hurt if they slept with someone else is where you ought to stop doing it too. If you know your stage comes later than most people's you might want to consider being more open about that beforehand to avoid hurting them.

Now with that said, if someone wants to be with another consenting adult age shouldn't matter. If you are not serious with someone you can date and sleep around all you want.

I don't really see an issue in your scenario.

What Girls Said 2

• I think the age gap is a little big

• if you ask him if he's okay with it I don't see an issue