Do you have any advice for trying to start a long distance relationship?

I returned to my college town for New Years and met a girl. I spent nearly the entire next day hanging out with her and our mutual friends. Things went really well and I want to try and see if things might go somewhere which is pretty rare for me. I live about an hour and a half away so driving there isn't too hard but I've never done a long distance relationship before. And I've definetly never tried to start a relationship from this far away. So if anyone had any advice that would be awesome.

Most Helpful Girl

• Seeing as how you are still pretty darn close to each other, I don't agree with the people saying it's "too hard". Yeah, it won't be easy, but it's not too hard unless you make it too hard.

The guy I've been with for almost 3 years started off as a long distance relationship. Now we are getting married and have lived together for a long time. It was really hard for us and we gave up after 2 months and I uprooted my life and moved in with him. We had an instant connection and it killed us to be apart. I still remember us both crying when I left his house for the first time after meeting (after staying there the weekend) and it felt like we were never going to see each other again :P

We lived 3 hours away from each other, which is long enough to where you can't make that trip all the time... especially as people that are broke with little money for gas and I was living with my parents and he was a secret so I had to lie to see him, since they didn't know about him. I didn't think my parents would approve of the whole online thing... especially since I found him on a dating site. So I told them when I was moving that I met him on facebook instead lol. They still found it weird but I can't imagine their faces if they knew I was on a dating website... they are so old fashioned.

Anyways, in the early days of our relationship we literally talked as much as we possibly could. But nothing beats being with someone in the physical. After our first meeting we talked about it a lot and I actually came clean to my parents about our relationship and they let me go down to see him (acted like it was the first time) and then about a month after that I moved in with him.

We talked on the phone and texted for the first week then switched to Skype so we could see each other and phone when it was dark/night time. We talked almost every second possible, but you don't have to, we just had a really instant bond and wanted to be with each other all the time (still do, in fact). That's just us. But I do believe to make it work you have to have really good communication. You have to make an effort. You really should try to talk every day for an hour or more to keep the bond alive. And since you live closer and you're willing to drive, it shouldn't be too hard to meet up once a weekend maybe? you could try to set up a date every weekend or every other and spend the whole day together.

Ultimately, I don't think it'll work out unless one of you plans on relocating.

Most Helpful Guy

• I went through the same thing with my ex girlfriend. It isn't that bad and people will say it's easy even though the travel time makes it that much further out of reach.

The only thing you can do is make plans with her as often as possible and try to go out with friends so you don't spend too much time missing them. It's not the easiest but there are definitely harder struggles out there.

What Girls Said 3

• Just talk to here almost always! Or try to set some time for just you and her. <3 Its also sweet when a guy cares about you and shows it.

• Start a long term friendship and when the time comes that you can be together in the flesh then you've already built the foundations for an awesome relationship cos you're the best of friends and no each other inside and out.

• i think i can help you! :) as a girl with ldr experience first and most important thing is: COMMUNICATION talk over texts, phone, and Skype as much as you can ( Skype is probably the best so you can see each others faces yay!) and then try to set like dates when you'll see each other again so you can look forward to it and then you'll see if you're alright being apart for a certain amount of time! good luck! :)

What Guys Said 2

• I have the best advixe you're going to get here: don't!

• Yeah - don't do it.

They're too hard.